80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wish they were still offered in royalex.

Yeh, it’s a shame they don’t make Royalex anymore. Great material, just never could find a good use for it outside of canoes. Hopefully this is the only one I ever need.

I recently tried to research the serial number on the plate in the bow and it seemed to indicate 2010 production, but that seems way too new.

I used to know how to decode the serial numbers. I think the last two numbers are the year, at least it was when mine was made. You used to be able to call Mad River and ask them and they could tell you the make material and year. Not sure if they have folks that will still do that or not.

Best model EVER from Mad River for general canoeing. I have a beat up one.

View attachment 2019022
I love the Explorer! I have a Freedom which is basically the same boat but they cranked on the Royalex when it came out of the press to give it a little more rocker. I had it fully outfitted as a tandem whitewater boat but it had been stored outside for years and the wood trim finally s*** the bed, pretty much entirely on it's last(to date) voyage on the Wolf River in WI.

I just finally found a source for Ash gunwale material which has been a massive chore due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestation and the fact that most of the ash trees are screwed which has shortened the supply and the law says you can't move it more than 25 miles anyway unless it's kiln dried, but that doesn't work as good as raw wood does for this application.

Hope to have her back on the water after I finish this current sloop. :)

Wish they were still offered in royalex. I used to have it in the “triple tough” material - unbreakable, but a massive pain to portage. Had to get rid of it for a royalex version, which has been great.
I think they kinda missed the opportunity to try it as a helmet material for football. The way Royalex was designed to work, that foam layer would do a significant job of deadening the impact when someone hits another Royalex helmet or pretty much anything else. There would have had to have been some tweaking, but the stuff was pretty easy to mold and it was extremely tough. It didn't work as an option for auto body parts(which was the original plan) because you can't get the high level finish that people expect on a vehicle, but for a canoe or a helmet, who gives a rip as long as your head stays in the game or you plow over a bunch of rocks you didn't see and can just keep going?

A lot more people play football than paddle canoes, just sayin'.

Last edited:
I think they kinda missed the opportunity to try it as a helmet material for football. The way Royalex was designed to work, that foam layer would do a significant job of deadening the impact when someone hits another Royalex helmet or pretty much anything else. There would have had to have been some tweaking, but the stuff was pretty easy to mold and it was extremely tough. It didn't work as an option for auto body parts(which was the original plan) because you can't get the high level finish that people expect on a vehicle, but for a canoe or a helmet, who gives a rip as long as your head stays in the game or you plow over a bunch of rocks you didn't see and can just keep going?

A lot more people play football than paddle canoes, just sayin'.
Yes, would have been a great application. Maybe with the high level of finish on football helmets these days, that was in issue there, too.

Sorry to hijack this thread with my canoe, but some of you seem to think it's neat. :)

Made more progress...Got the canvas stretched and the stems bedded in with boatyard compound. Lotta nearly extinct tacks and I had to get into some engineering to build a stretching contraption. This worked well. The ends of the canoe were the toughest part, but I got it dialed in with no scalloping or puckering that will be seen later after I fill the weave.

thumbnail (62).jpg
thumbnail (67).jpg
thumbnail (66).jpg

thumbnail (72).jpg

thumbnail (65).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom