80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

100%, you're right, it's a mini battleship, hahaha. The rivets and sealing of it are so well made I could probably put on my viking hat and start ramming paddle boarders.

Zona
Grumman also made the LLV for the US Postal Service. Much more reliable than the Pony Express. These things are crazy little rigs. We still have tons of them up where I live and it seems like they just plan on continuing to use them.

That technology certainly has it's uses and I would be fine if we went back to having rivet on body parts that never rust.

Apparently the good ones came with something called The Iron Duke, which sounds pretty reliable. I don't know anything about American motor company's royal families, but if this little guy made it to Duke, he must be doing alright.

Last edited:
Found an old pic of a trip on a middle GA river sandbar camping. Definitely warm enough there is no excuse to get back on the water

Nothing special here. Just some foam blocks and rachet straps. Works fine for a few highways miles and 20 or so trail miles into the glacier.

Mark...

canoe80.jpg

Ahhh...finally in place - ready for a trip down the Little River (on lookout mountain) this upcoming w/e.

Solo 14 Mohawk Canoe, in royalite (~35 lbs, I believe). Very easy to load, and very durable even on the occasional rocks. My favorite canoe brand - unfortunately now out of business. Still looking for a used odyssey 14 also by Mohawk - very similar but with higher sides (my solo takes too much water in small whitewater).

C15CA3FE-A950-4ADC-B334-37D05FD10535.jpeg

Last edited:
Little River as in Little River Canyon or a different Little River?
Same little river, upstream from little river falls. You can canoe all the way from lahusage to the falls, if the water is right and you are adventurous enough. I usually (in a canoe) start at billy’s Ford and take out before the falls - an excellent float.

Same little river, upstream from little river falls. You can canoe all the way from lahusage to the falls, if the water is right and you are adventurous enough. I usually (in a canoe) start at billy’s Ford and take out before the falls - an excellent float.

Been many years since I did that section and we did it under low water conditions. How long a run is it?

Been many years since I did that section and we did it under low water conditions. How long a run is it?
Beat guess would be ~ 5 or 6 miles, maybe? Lahusage to the falls would be an overnighter. I have been itching to do that. Great thing is - I’ve never seen a water moccasin!

Beat guess would be ~ 5 or 6 miles, maybe? Lahusage to the falls would be an overnighter. I have been itching to do that. Great thing is - I’ve never seen a water moccasin!

You're unlikely to see cottonmouths along that stream but they may present. Water snakes are more likely.

5-6 miles would be a nice short run.

Certainly see some timber rattlers and copperheads , though not in the water. Came close to losing a dog last year up there due to a copperhead

Picked up this nice unit today. Had to drive 7 hours to get it in the 80, but other than needing new canvas and a little TLC on the outwales, this will be a nice boat for me and another person at least a week's worth of gear and the hound.

I think it's a 1913 Old Town Otca Charles River 18 footer. I am waiting for the folks over on the WCHA forum to help me out on that, but that's what I think it is.

Already got the old canvas off and the hull is in amazing condition. Really no flaws to speak of. I don't think this boat got used much, it's just old. The badge is for sure not original, but it has the number 1913 stamped into it and someone took the time to refinish the inside at some point and sand the gunwales and decks, which would have had the original decals on them so maybe this was to tell the next guy what he bought?

Anyway, I am excited. :p

thumbnail (50).jpg

thumbnail (51).jpg

thumbnail (53).jpg

thumbnail (52).jpg

thumbnail (49).jpg

Last edited:
Made some progress on the canoe. It turns out it's a 1913 Old Town Charles River in the highest AA grade with mahogany (Carribean, not Central American(higher quality)) inwales and outwales, thwarts and decks. Eastern White Cedar planking, open gunwales in Dark Green. Shipped to a dealer in Detroit MI via rail in New York City. Not sure how it got down from Maine, but I think they had a spur line.

I soaked the hull in a double coat of 60/20/20 mix of boiled linseed oil, turpentine and mineral spirits. Decided to rehab the top of the planking since it was solid, but this will be the third canvas job she has had and I wanted to fill the nail holes and slight cracks in the planking a bit so it will be solid for another 20 years of use before I have to do it over with regular use so I injected Gorilla Glue into each little nail hole with a syringe. It foams a bit, but nobody will ever see that and it will take a new brass tack without splitting the ribs.

Got my shipment of Kirby products, filler, primer, and Bottle Green paint. Still awaiting the canvas and all the fasteners, but that's all on the way.

thumbnail (58).jpg

thumbnail (59).jpg

thumbnail (60).jpg

thumbnail (61).jpg

Last edited:
Wish they were still offered in royalex. I used to have it in the “triple tough” material - unbreakable, but a massive pain to portage. Had to get rid of it for a royalex version, which has been great.
Mine is about 75 pounds maybe just a tidge more. Has a big repaired crack in the bow too. I recently tried to research the serial number on the plate in the bow and it seemed to indicate 2010 production, but that seems way too new. If so then it's really had some miles before I got it in about 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom