Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I, for one, am curious to hear yours.
The hard sections of each trail are equally formidable. The difference lies in the length of time you spend constantly fighting rocks on the Dusy. The thick dust kicked up on the Dusy adds to the challenge as well.

Just be prepared as possible for a break down and the extra days possibly spent on trail doing repairs. For this reason, running the Dusy alone is not a good idea.

The hard sections of each trail are equally formidable. The difference lies in the length of time you spend constantly fighting rocks on the Dusy. The thick dust kicked up on the Dusy adds to the challenge as well.

Just be prepared as possible for a break down and the extra days possibly spent on trail doing repairs. For this reason, running the Dusy alone is not a good idea.
I can imagine carnage that needed repairs to proceed would be necessary since a tow would almost be impossible. After seeing the rigs that took part on this run with 37's(and larger) and 4" lift were like standard equipment, I wouldn't even attempt with my '94 that's setup for overlanding. I've got armor underneath - tranny/trans skidplate & sliders, front & rear Harrop lockers, but only 35's and 2.5" OME lift. Not to mention my 24 gallon aux tank in the OEM spare location with no skidplate just begging for a slab of rock to drill into. It would suck, for everyone, to get into the trail and realize that I shouldn't be there. I don't imagine there's any escape or alternate routes for the more difficult sections. Also, I'd want someone leading that had done the trail before.

Technical question.
what’s harder? Dusy, or Rubicon? 🤷‍♂️
In an 80; neither. Fordyce.

Baldilocks and maltesrunner are correct in that Dusy is one of the longest, more remote rockcrawling trails in California with no bypasses or shortcuts. 33 miles long. It is not travelled as much as Rubicon and Fordyce. You have to be prepared and self sufficient in case of breakdowns. Shaver Lake is nearly an hours drive from either end of the trail. Parts and services there are somewhat limited for LandCruisers. Fresno is the next option. You won't be able to just hike out for a parts run if things go sour.

In an 80; neither. Fordyce.

Baldilocks and maltesrunner are correct in that Dusy is one of the longest, more remote rockcrawling trails in California with no bypasses or shortcuts. 33 miles long. It is not travelled as much as Rubicon and Fordyce. You have to be prepared and self sufficient in case of breakdowns. Shaver Lake is nearly an hours drive from either end of the trail. Parts and services there are somewhat limited for LandCruisers. Fresno is the next option. You won't be able to just hike out for a parts run if things go sour.
I agree that Fordyce takes the title, for toughest trail I'd attempt in an 80.

I agree that Fordyce takes the title, for toughest trail I'd attempt in an 80.
Finally finished reading this thread. Good info. That's interesting you think Fordyce is harder in an 80 than the Con or Dusy.

I've never done Dusy yet and that's on my bucket list. But I've done the Con and Fordyce in my mini truck a ton of times and by far the hardest between those two for my mini is Rubicon. I always sustain damage every time at the Rubicon. I never sustain any damage at Fordyce and I walk up and down the winch hills with no issues.

Sold my mini and building my 2nd 80 for a replacement crawler. It's going to be way different and a lot of sheet metal to smash compared to a bobbed and flatbed mini. My mind might change crawling an 80 at the end of 2021.

The biggest thing that holdS a 80 back is the sheet metal. Once your over that you good to go, if it’s built right

0F4A2299-A47A-4FDF-B409-69B1179E1F33.jpeg

FE32CFFA-FC6C-4D75-9610-E6554BC750A0.jpeg

good to see you guys got out safe, the dusy is a unique experience, I have gone 2x, the first time my fj40 died 3 miles from the end of the trail, it was snowing and cold, had to get strapped out through the end of the trail with the tires pumped up to 40 psi to help with rolling resistance, pitch black at night and using a headlamp to try and see. I don't ever want to do that again. I had bruises all over me from being tossed about while trying to dead steer. Exhausted. Had to be towed all the way home.

Second time our group was not well setup. It's important to pick the trucks and drivers in your group carefully for this trail. We got 3 inches of snow at the bottom of thompson the night before and a few of the trucks just were not going to make it, one of the rigs was a 100 series with 2 inch lift, bald tires and no skidplates, I kept watching his transfer case bashing on rocks and knew if we did not turn around we would be dealing with a cracked transfer case, we had to turn around as a group. Can't wait to go back again.

by far the hardest between those two for my mini is Rubicon. I always sustain damage every time at the Rubicon. I never sustain any damage at Fordyce and I walk up and down the winch hills with no issues.

That is madness. How can you possibly walk up and down WH3 with no issue? You could stand here for hours and watch the never ending train of sh1tboxes get denied. Rubicon doesn't compare IMO. Maybe Little Sluice back in the day?

28069769965_206e1433c6_h.jpg

27789222710_4990bbf49f_h.jpg

27789224280_e8ff869f2d_h.jpg

That is madness. How can you possibly walk up and down WH3 with no issue? You could stand here for hours and watch the never ending train of sh1tboxes get denied. Rubicon doesn't compare IMO. Maybe Little Sluice back in the day?

28069769965_206e1433c6_h.jpg

27789222710_4990bbf49f_h.jpg

27789224280_e8ff869f2d_h.jpg
Experience teaches us our limitations and the value in pulling line from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom