Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our frame heights are pretty much the same and why Toyota routed the exhaust under the frame on a Landcruiser, I will never understand. Perhaps it had to do with the tandem cats. Post run analysis has me informed of two things: I need to repair and armor my rear LCA frame mounts, and, the air pressure I chose to run was too high based on what I see in the videos. Other than this my only question concerning vehicle performance has to do with the Dobinson rear 3" tapered springs vs the Slee 4" hd progressive springs I'd been running past few years. The Dobinson's compressed more under the heavy load of a big trip such as this one and also allowed deeper compression and more side to side sway on the trail which translates to more slider and rear bumper impacts with rocks. some of this might be better controlled with fancy, high dollar shocks and a thicker anti-sway bar. I think I will put the Slee springs back in for such trips in the future. Don't get me wrong, the Dobinson equipment is great and puts a smile on my face in most all situation's.
Do you recall what air pressure you were running ? I had mine at 13psi

15 front and 17 rear cold morning time pressures. I ran more than usual purposely due to the weight of my vehicle. Your tires did not appear to be deflated down to 13.

Based on the photo of your undercarriage, my rear axle and driveline took much more of a beating. I did do a lot of experimenting with different lines every time I came to tough obstacles so I knew what to do in order to help keep the group moving. Experimentation is fun but comes with a price tag. LOL

15 front and 17 rear cold morning time pressures. I ran more than usual purposely due to the weight of my vehicle. Your tires did not appear to be deflated down to 13.

Based on the photo of your undercarriage, my rear axle and driveline took much more of a beating. I did do a lot of experimenting with different lines every time I came to tough obstacles so I knew what to do in order to help keep the group moving. Experimentation is fun but comes with a price tag. LOL
I'm going to guess that my Reg was the lightest of the bunch do to my minimalist approach and rolling solo. My new tires do not bulge as much as my old tires did at 13 psi and the 39s give me more clearance at the axle over your 37s.
Also the group that I normally wheel with, each driver gets to pick there own line when it's there turn on a obstacles and we only spot a driver when asked to do so, everybody has a idea of the best line and should get a chance to try it. We do have a three try rule, after three try's take the hook or spotting.

I ran 16 PSI on the trip. My driveshaft also faired well. No new marks on the shaft. The yoke rubbed a little, but suffered no damage.
I’m pretty sure the damage to my driveline was sustained while I was centered on that pointed rock where you helped me winch. It’s common to run the same driveline for several seasons before a refresh is necessary or a vibration is present.

I'm going to guess that my Reg was the lightest of the bunch do to my minimalist approach and rolling solo. My new tires do not bulge as much as my old tires did at 13 psi and the 39s give me more clearance at the axle over your 37s.
Also the group that I normally wheel with, each driver gets to pick there own line when it's there turn on a obstacles and we only spot a driver when asked to do so, everybody has a idea of the best line and should get a chance to try it. We do have a three try rule, after three try's take the hook or spotting.
If I had been aware of the rules, I wouldn’t have pitched so many rocks. LOL

If I had been aware of the rules, I wouldn’t have pitched so many rocks. LOL
I almost spotted after seeing the pic of @baldilocks drive shaft:lol:
I’m a little on the rambunctious side and have done much more minor damage to drivelines over the years but the one I posted here takes the cake by far. Maybe the elevation got to me..... :meh:

Test to see if this link works to Google Photos.
Voyager gatekeeper...
Here is a vid of @malteserunner straddling the last big gatekeeper rock on driverside plus using his new quarter panel guard.
Here is me getting hung up on same rock maltesrunner straddled.
Oh yeah... forgot to hit the CDL switch ha ha so embarrassing...
After CDL switch was engaged.
@Broski & @Noahrob straddling same rock I hung up on.
Broski likes to play a game called "Open Open"
Can you see the Giant?
Noah doing his own thing, made it look easy...
Broski making it look easy.
Here is Broski & Noah stack helping me just after I almost ripped my exhast off & could of bent my driveline.
Thanks for helping the rookie with a 2" lift.
Finally got unhung

Here is the elevation rise up from Courtright Res.
IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited:
20200904_155804.jpg

Steve is a good spotter. I need more suspension lift, no doubt.
20200904_170727.jpg

We made it to Thompson Lake.

Gary, can you slow down the first two videos on this post?
It is what it is...Gabby was playing with the features... she is a videotographer in training.

Gary, can you slow down the first two videos on this post?
in the lower right corner of video window, click the gear icon and you can change playback speed.

in the lower right corner of video window, click the gear icon and you can change playback speed.
Thanks, I tried that on my laptop. Just wanted to see that huge boulder spit out from under the front tire. I wasn't expecting that!

Here is a pic of where the fire was.
Yellow lines are paved roads going to Courtright & down from Huntington Lake South down past Shaver Lake.
Orange lines are the Dusy trail.
#1 is Thompson Lake.
#2 is Ershim Lake.
#3 is White Bark Vista.
When we drove down the night of the fire it was all North of yellow lines, but next day burned South of yellow lines.
If we didn't leave that day we would of been trapped or would of had to go back then run out of gas.
I'm glad we bugged out, that fire burned 20 times faster then any fire I ever seen up there in my life.

20200916_231511.png

20200917_011355.jpg

This pic Noah took on my phone is looking West from #3 on above map, which is the last big obstacle close to White Bark Vista.

Screenshot_20200908-174800.png

Here is my carnage pics.
Its very minimal for what we went through...

Got lazy & tried to push a few trees over. The trees won.
My thin cosmetic bumper flexed to much.

The undercarriage took most of the carnage.
the muffler took a big hit toward the driveline.

The rear lower control arm hangers took a lot of big hits.

Front arm drop hangers took abuse also.

Rear sway self clearance itself.

Tie rod hit a rock & is bent very slightly.
I have a HD Slee waiting to go in when I get hydro steer until then need a weak ling to save the sector shaft.

Last edited:
@GW Nugget How much of the carnage do you think could have been avoided if you weren't rushed to evacuate the area? The control arm hangers are always susceptible, & especially the rear arms. I bent one myself one time and have replaced with the MetalTech arms. IMHO, Mr. T should have made them solid - like the fronts. I would bet the front bumper and muffler damage were results of the rush out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom