Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that’s your entire carnage manifesto Gary, I’d say you faired well. It’s funny how we can drive and drive without a dent all day and then boom. The only panels on my 80 that don’t have dents are the hood and the roof. Look out, I’m good at denting roofs too. Haha.....

In retrospect, it’s laughable that we sat at Ershim lake for, what, 90 minutes, contemplating whether to camp or move on to the the finish
line.

Last edited:
@GW Nugget How much of the carnage do you think could have been avoided if you weren't rushed to evacuate the area? The control arm hangers are always susceptible, & especially the rear arms. I bent one myself one time and have replaced with the MetalTech arms. IMHO, Mr. T should have made them solid - like the fronts. I would bet the front bumper and muffler damage were results of the rush out.
For comparison, Even if we weren't in a hurry I think that we would still have sustained most of the damaged. The trees are really tight, I bumped both front corners of my bumper (no damage) and the rocks are big and everywhere.
1600365643708.png
1600365682815.png

All I have is a few scratches on my undercarriage. I think the main difference is that I have 31/2" suspension lift versus a 2" suspension and a 1" body lift, couple that with my exhaust run's over the frame (pre 95) to under the Frame (95-97) = muffler damage. Drop brackets instead of caster plates on the front control arm also put them in harm's way.
1600365720126.png

What line one chooses Has a lot to do with it, That and running 39s gave me the most clearance at the diffs. Hydro assist also make things a lot easier on a tough trail like the Dusy. Just sayin
1600365750785.png
1600365779024.png

I think that all the Regs in the group were well built and prepared, and a great bunch of guy to wheels with. ;)
Looking forward to being able to run the trail again with out the stress and rush of the fire!!!!!!

@GW Nugget How much of the carnage do you think could have been avoided if you weren't rushed to evacuate the area? The control arm hangers are always susceptible, & especially the rear arms. I bent one myself one time and have replaced with the MetalTech arms. IMHO, Mr. T should have made them solid - like the fronts. I would bet the front bumper and muffler damage were results of the rush out.
99% of my slight damage was from Thompson Hill on the 1st day.
The 2nd day I was 4th rig & the guys marked up all the bad rocks for me to avoid. I saw fresh diff rashed rocks & drove around them if I could. Watching a few rigs go through in front of me helped me avoid bad lines. Ask Noah, I was zig zagging all over that trail.

If that’s your entire carnage manifesto Gary, I’d say you faired well.
I agree I did fair well because of you guys took good care of me.
All the damage pics I posted was very minimal compared to what should of been.

Even if we weren't in a hurry I think that we would still have sustained most of the damaged.
All I have is a few scratches on my undercarriage. I think the main difference is that I have 31/2" suspension lift versus a 2" suspension and a 1" body lift, couple that with my exhaust run's over the frame (pre 95) to under the Frame (95-97) = muffler damage. Drop brackets instead of caster plates on the front control arm also put them in harm's way.
What line one chooses Has a lot to do with it, That and running 39s gave me the most clearance at the diffs. Hydro assist also make things a lot easier on a tough trail like the Dusy. Just sayin
I totally agree with getting the frame up higher is better for rock crawling.
Low hanging fruit is not good, exhaust, control arm hangers etc...
Broski's rig was best set up the this kind of wheelin.

When I do severe wheelin like that again (Rubicon is next) I will lift it up higher next time. Just throwing in a set of coil spacers would be super easy for 30mm.
I just like how well it drives on the road the way it is with low COG , remember this is my Daily Driver.

I did not post the fuel tank dent, its very minimal & believe the guard took most of the damage. I think this happened when I was winching over whos knows what.
20200917_162015.jpg

Last edited:
Let’s not get so Fancy...

I also clipped a stump sticking into the trail, this was after about 10 hrs on the trail I was beat and tired, I try to back up once. That spot was already dented and I said F it, was glad that it did not damage the tail lite. I can't remember if that's the third or forth time I have smashed that spot but it's a dent magnet.
View attachment 2431503
Besides scratches on my armor and undercarriage that all the damage

I did the exact same thing, with the exact same stump. I tried backing up too, then said to heck with it, there was also already a dent there!

Kevin

This trail is on my list to do one day. I hope to run the Rubicon, and Dusty next summer.

I'm on 37's, 3 linked, crawler gears, LS swapped, etc...

my lift arrived yesterday. I’ll install Sunday. Armor next month. I’ll do Gears, lockers, and axles in early 2021. Your build sounds awesome.
Start a build thread, this thread is about the Dusy

So does anyone know how the trail made out? Did the fires actually make it to the trail?

So does anyone know how the trail made out? Did the fires actually make it to the trail?
As of right now the Dusy has been spared, Per Calif Fire Map's, but the Creek fire at this time is only 32% contained :(

The Bullfrog fire is up to 890 acres, west of Courtright Reservoir. It's slow moving, and partially contained. Hoping it doesn't burn over the trail.

Funny; I thought this was tech and not trail talk. :p
;) You have a good point, and there's a lot of tech in this thread, but I felt it was getting derailed. Oh yeah, I started the thread,Just sayin

;) You have a good point, and there's a lot of tech in this thread, but I felt it was getting derailed. Oh yeah, I started the thread,Just sayin
Tech, as it pertains to this particular trail event, is appropriate and pics of vehicle damage is hardly tech anyway.

Technical question.
what’s harder? Dusy, or Rubicon? 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom