80 vs 70 series differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Toyota diesels are very easy to work on, easier than the 1FZ.

There is more benefit with a diesel vs just fuel mpg. Less maintenance as well. Easier to get more power and keep temps under control being another.

Cheers

Once you have a 1FZ baselined what different maintenance do you need to do? I have never heard that before.

Having temps under control is just a matter of maintaining your vehicle, 1FZ's don't overheat when new, it is just now after 20 years of neglect that people have issues.

The Toyota diesels are very easy to work on, easier than the 1FZ.

There is more benefit with a diesel vs just fuel mpg. Less maintenance as well. Easier to get more power and keep temps under control being another.

Cheers

After reading a lot, let me start by saying that I own a 1995 HDJ80, left hand drive, I have had it for 17years (2nd owner) Not done a full engine rebuild yet...parts come rather easy here, but I understand your concern...mine has an A442F (the sole transmission for a diesel turbo automatic in those years) If you happen to get your hands on one, maybe you coukd have it like mine, dual AC's, dual fuel tanks, non ABS, part time (free wheel locking hubs) so, reliability, yes, very much...one thing you MUST do if you have one of these is an oil cooler for the transmission, their oil gets cooled by radiator only, maybe get one from an LX450 or an FZ80
BTW, dual AC's but no fridge

Once you have a 1FZ baselined what different maintenance do you need to do? I have never heard that before.

Having temps under control is just a matter of maintaining your vehicle, 1FZ's don't overheat when new, it is just now after 20 years of neglect that people have issues.

No need to ever do maintenance on an ignition system. Besides fuel filters, oil filters and air filter you don’t need to touch anything on a diesel for 100,000kms. And then it is just a timing belt and a water pump.

I am talking boosted. Try stuffing 27psi in a 1FZ. 😉

Cheers

Why? I make more with 15psi than you do with 27 ;)

No need to ever do maintenance on an ignition system. Besides fuel filters, oil filters and air filter you don’t need to touch anything on a diesel for 100,000kms. And then it is just a timing belt and a water pump.

I am talking boosted. Try stuffing 27psi in a 1FZ. 😉

Cheers

It pains me to say this, because I still think the correct engine for a land cruiser runs on diesel (Yes, I do miss the Turbo 1FZ) but if I was in the states, for a daily driver or long-distance truck, it would have a 1FZ or maybe an LS of some description, purely from a parts availability perspective. I blew my intake manifold gasket on the 1HDT 980 km from home. I went to the closest Toyota dealer and they had a new one in stock, $40. That's because a diesel land cruiser is the preferred means of transport out here in the middle of nowhere.

You can't do that over there, and that would make me hesitant to recommend for a sole vehicle. If it's a weekend rig, yes, diesel is cool, but if you can't afford to wait for parts, either an engine that was sold over there, or carry a serious kit of spares, stuff like timing belt, tensioner, idler, waterpump, full gasket kit etc. Stuff that will leave you stranded that you can't get easily.

The torque diesel make are lower in the power band and are perfect for off road and on the trail. The smell the leave well make the other people on the trail hate you.

Why? I make more with 15psi than you do with 27 ;)

Haha, ok.

I love the 1FZ man, I am building a brand new one for my truck.

But if you haven’t experienced diesel turbo power, well you are missing out. You may have more than 250rwhp but you do not have anywhere near the torque. Not to mention, diesel burnouts are cooler. 😝

I am also unsure why you seem to dislike the best turbo diesel Toyota ever made but no worries.

Cheers

The torque diesel make are lower in the power band and are perfect for off road and on the trail. The smell the leave well make the other people on the trail hate you.

Diesels should be in the back of the pack, I thought everyone knew that.

Cheers

Diesels should be in the back of the pack, I thought everyone knew that.

Cheers
That only works if the wind is blowing the right way. Don't get me wrong I am a diesel fan, just stating the facts. ;) Just sayin

That only works if the wind is blowing the right way. Don't get me wrong I am a diesel fan, just stating the facts. ;) Just sayin

Our last club run, two Cruisers were diesels. I didn’t smell them once, then again I was leading. 🤣

Cheers

Haha it’s not that I dislike it. I think it’s a great engine. I would just like it in my second or third cruiser so if I am waiting for parts from overseas I am not dead in the water. Lol

The biggest issue I’m seeing here with diesels is parts availability. Would it suck sometimes? Yeah absolutely but not a huge concern of mine tbh. I know of places I can get parts for either but I live in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina and there’s no one with them around me so I’m SOL for either gas or diesel for the most part lol. Its a 2 hour drive or internet shopping mostly.

also I don’t intend to DD this thing, I’ll probably pull it out on weekends but it’ll spend a lot of its time in a garage.

Random replies from someone who has owned 6 80's and 2 diesel land cruisers.

The parts availability is not that bad at all. I currently have a BJ74, I rebuilt the engine last years and could get almost everything I needed to rebuild if need be. I live in BFE at the moment 8 miles outside of a town of 4,500..., 1 hour from a town of 15,000 that doesn't have anything and 3 hours from Denver. Any part I needed for a 13BT BJ74 I could have from the middle east in less than a week. And thats for an engine that was only used for a few years (4ish) in a very limited number, and usually cheaper than any US source. If you are wanting to get parts at Napa or local stores, yes you will by far find more 80's parts.

however
we have people like @SNLC @cruiseroutfit @orangefj45 that are stocking and working on tons of NON-US parts. Every so often you might find a part they can't find, but you do have a work around almost always.

The 80 series is great, I've owned 6. They wheel awesome, ride good. They are cool, you can mod them all up, they are capable and good support...however without a turbo they are kind of turds...same with a 1HZ. You can't really go wrong with an 80 series...it's what all the cool kids it still fits in well at the mall :rofl:
The 70 series has been proven over and over again in the harshest parts of the world...it's good.

In all seriousness, I'd just make whatever vehicle YOU WANT work for you and build it how you want. A 70 series of any sort will stand out. An 80 has more US aftermarket.
If you are worried about a vehicle to survive when it hits the fan, well you are 1 radiator hose failure away from both vehicles being blown headgaskets on the side of the road while zombies chase you down to eat your brains.

@undecided so I current own a 77 series and a couple of 80 series. I’ve owned numerous other 70 series and 80 series (as well as everything else but the 55’s). This is not an easy answer. @SNLC is actually about to take delivery of one of my 80 series that is getting a 1HDFT swap. If I HAD to pick one of these trucks it would be the 80 series with the HDFT. But the truck is very nice and LHD. I have much less $$ in the 77 series though and that truck is a close second because of the 70 series cool factor. I would rank it ahead of the 81 series because I’m just not a fan of RHD 80 series.

If you go 70 series I would highly recommend getting a manual transmission. I think @SNLC mentioned but the heavy duty 77 series did not come in a turbo model. It’s not THAT bad but it’s absolutely horrible with an automatic transmission. You can easily manage with a 1HZ manual combo and if this is truly an apocalypse truck then you won’t need to win any races and you further eliminate a turbo that is just one more thing to maintain.

Personally, I just like diesels over gassers. The 1FZ is a very reliable engine and I actually Iike them a lot. But the wiring harness on a FZJ80 is infinitely more complex than the HZJ77.

Since John has chimed in here, you can go over to the build thread he has going on the 77 here.

He drove it from Boise, Idaho to Tallahassee, Florida with a week long off-roading event near the end of the road trip. So it’s a real good read and info on a 77-series.

I liked the 77’s before working on Johns but after, I really really like them. Right up there with my top favorite 3-5 Cruisers ever made. His is pretty basic but we put a rear E-locker in it, I tested the truck off-road before John flew in on a fairly gnarley trail. I was impressed, the 77 is an excellent all around platform no doubt. 😆

Cheers

I currently own both a HDJ79 and a FZJ80. The better rig? The HDJ79. Same amount of ks. Both run really well. However, if I was state side, no way I'm owning a 1hz. As far as diesels go, I would wait the 6 years and import a hdj79. The FTs are nice, the efi is better (let's face it, no one goes places remote enough to have to worry about the electrics if they are done right).

As far as a 4x4, an 80 craps all over a 70 series when its built right. If I'm in the US, I'm getting a FZJ80, front and rear lockers, turbo kit from joey and a full slinky kit through delta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom