80 vs 70 series differences (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I currently own both a HDJ79 and a FZJ80. The better rig? The HDJ79. Same amount of ks. Both run really well. However, if I was state side, no way I'm owning a 1hz. As far as diesels go, I would wait the 6 years and import a hdj79. The FTs are nice, the efi is better (let's face it, no one goes places remote enough to have to worry about the electrics if they are done right).

As far as a 4x4, an 80 craps all over a 70 series when its built right. If I'm in the US, I'm getting a FZJ80, front and rear lockers, turbo kit from joey and a full slinky kit through delta.
And 37s because the fun police won't stop you there 😁

The biggest issue I’m seeing here with diesels is parts availability. Would it suck sometimes? Yeah absolutely but not a huge concern of mine tbh. I know of places I can get parts for either but I live in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina and there’s no one with them around me so I’m SOL for either gas or diesel for the most part lol. Its a 2 hour drive or internet shopping mostly.

also I don’t intend to DD this thing, I’ll probably pull it out on weekends but it’ll spend a lot of its time in a garage.
If your just gonna bang it around on the weekends, why would you get into importing/ buying a non native truck? $$$

Unless you just really want one, in that case go for it.

But if all you want is a bad ass 4x4 for the weekends, get a fzj. I payed squat for my 93, and it’s an absolute beast for what I do with it. And it’s the only thing I drive around town when I’m home. Runs like a top. 1fz is not as gutless as it’s made out to be, I have no problem with it.

If your just gonna bang it around on the weekends, why would you get into importing/ buying a non native truck? $$$

But if all you want is a bad ass 4x4 for the weekends, get a fzj. I payed squat for my 93, and it’s an absolute beast for what I do with it. And it’s the only thing I drive around town when I’m home. Runs like a top. 1fz is not as gutless as it’s made out to be, I have no problem with it.

This is really the right answer here.

from OP: I’ll start with what I’m wanting it for.
I want the most reliable and capable option off road first and foremost: the 70 or 80 is pretty damn capable offroad, I don't buy that the 80 series will walk all over a 70 because it's leaf spring and leaf springs don't work as well offroad. hello @RustyNailJustin and KOH on OG leaf springs. Slap some lockers and good tires and either rig will go farther offroad that most people want to take them...and both are big whales that are going to smash up the body if you are going that hard. Both can be really reliable once you baseline them...neither are "new"

I’ll most just be using it for overlanding but I want the“just in case option” you know? Again a wash. Which one do you like more? Which space fits you better. Both 4 doors are similar in cargo space, a troopy gives some more options. Coils will ride smoother, but you can get a decent leaf spring ride.

I plan to keep the car forever and I’m a bit paranoid so I want something for SHTF/Bugging Out. Either will be something you can keep forever and will survive as well as possible if the SHTF. Simple diesels have arguably less electronics...my BJ74 doesn't even need a battery to start/run. Bump it and go... no need to worry about EMP attacks here :rofl:

I want as much cargo space as possible and I’m gonna need the backseat for the kids. Again, either will work, A troopy will have more configurable space inside and you can get more legroom in the back if you want.

It boils down to what you want honestly. Either are strong and reliable and awesome at offroading. Either will get you out of dodge.

70 or 80?
You WILL have to plan a little more for 70's parts, but it's not that hard/bad to deal with as I said plenty of vendors on mud have a bunch of non-usa parts. Other than that, IMO it's a wash for what you want to do with it.

A 70 series is a construction/landscapers truck in ever country but the USA. I wear headphones when driving a 70 series.

You have not driven the right ones!

Cheers

You have not driven the right ones!

Cheers

Agreed, mine is not loud at all. I was surprised how quiet it was driving it. I was expecting 40 series loud and obnoxious...not even close. Is it 80 series quiet, no, but no where close needing earplugs.

This is really the right answer here.

from OP: I’ll start with what I’m wanting it for.
I want the most reliable and capable option off road first and foremost: the 70 or 80 is pretty damn capable offroad, I don't buy that the 80 series will walk all over a 70 because it's leaf spring and leaf springs don't work as well offroad. hello @RustyNailJustin and KOH on OG leaf springs. Slap some lockers and good tires and either rig will go farther offroad that most people want to take them...and both are big whales that are going to smash up the body if you are going that hard. Both can be really reliable once you baseline them...neither are "new"

I’ll most just be using it for overlanding but I want the“just in case option” you know? Again a wash. Which one do you like more? Which space fits you better. Both 4 doors are similar in cargo space, a troopy gives some more options. Coils will ride smoother, but you can get a decent leaf spring ride.

I plan to keep the car forever and I’m a bit paranoid so I want something for SHTF/Bugging Out. Either will be something you can keep forever and will survive as well as possible if the SHTF. Simple diesels have arguably less electronics...my BJ74 doesn't even need a battery to start/run. Bump it and go... no need to worry about EMP attacks here :rofl:

I want as much cargo space as possible and I’m gonna need the backseat for the kids. Again, either will work, A troopy will have more configurable space inside and you can get more legroom in the back if you want.

It boils down to what you want honestly. Either are strong and reliable and awesome at offroading. Either will get you out of dodge.

70 or 80?
You WILL have to plan a little more for 70's parts, but it's not that hard/bad to deal with as I said plenty of vendors on mud have a bunch of non-usa parts. Other than that, IMO it's a wash for what you want to do with it.

Thanks to both of you for those answers. I’ve pretty well decided on a 80 series but I do lean towards the diesel for the reliability and durability.

yes this likely won’t be a Daily driver because I want to keep it in good shape BUT the reliability I want for the coming zombie apocalypse ;) but seriously it’s just a just in case thing for me. The diesels seem to have an edge with reliability and require less maintenance. I wanna be able to put a ton of miles on it and not worry.

i asked this because I genuinely didn’t know the answer between 70s and 80s because on other sites and in other forums I see tons of people swear that the 70s are better off-road and are more HD than the 80s but none have given me an actual explanation as to how or why and I figure once you start slapping aftermarket parts here and there it doesn’t really matter. That being said a troopy would be perfect and exactly what I want BUT being in the states I can’t even find one much less a decent one for a good price.

But now because someone mentioned a 6BT I’m considering that because there are tons of people in my area with them and I already know how to work on them to a degree. I’m still torn at the moment but torn on a new issue now 😪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom