80 vs 100 series at altitude (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have never done a solid axle swap, but I have done some other modifications. I think the lighter weight of the 3rd gen and the slimmer body are a huge advantage. There are also a ton of aftermarket parts available for 3rd gens and ive always felt the 3rd gen was comfortable. My 80 is more comfortable, but it doesn't have stock seats in it, my 3rd gen did. The reason I sold my 3rd gen was because I wanted something I could tow with up the mountain passes and the 3rd gen I felt was too light. So I got my current 80. I've had 2 80s. One was a 94 with 37s, and my current 92 that is stockish height. Anyway I don't want to hog the thread anymore. It's just my opinion.

Come on guys, when someone comes to the 80 forum asking if they should buy a 100 or an 80 you’re supposed to convince them to buy an 80. Somehow we’re recommending a 4-runner that needs 12 months worth of weekends in the garage and $15k in parts to get to solid axles, lockers, and coil spring suspension like a stock 80! 4-runners do make awesome build platforms though, nice size, weight and wheelbase for a crawler and some good t-case gear options.

The 4.7L V8 produced (as advertised) 235 HP in the 1998-2002 models and 265HP in the 2003-2007 models. Same engine. Mostly. The major difference was the transmission. The first generation had the same A343F 4-speed that the 80 series had; the second generation had the A750F 5-speed. This change was not made to improve the output torque or horsepower - it was done to meet CAFE requirements.
View attachment 3374666
Note: the North American Land Cruiser/LX570 (2008-on) did not have the 2UZ-FE.
View attachment 3374660 View attachment 3374661
I've driven (and owned) both, although not at altitude above 3,500-ft (that's the eastern continental divide - it's all we have here), and I couldn't see a difference offroad.
HP in years:
1998-2003 230hp
2004-2005 235hp
2006-2007 265hp
1998-2002 4spd
2003-2007 5spd
98-99 rear lockers

I have never done a solid axle swap, but I have done some other modifications. I think the lighter weight of the 3rd gen and the slimmer body are a huge advantage. There are also a ton of aftermarket parts available for 3rd gens and ive always felt the 3rd gen was comfortable. My 80 is more comfortable, but it doesn't have stock seats in it, my 3rd gen did. The reason I sold my 3rd gen was because I wanted something I could tow with up the mountain passes and the 3rd gen I felt was too light. So I got my current 80. I've had 2 80s. One was a 94 with 37s, and my current 92 that is stockish height. Anyway I don't want to hog the thread anymore. It's just my opinion.

Yeah I've seen your 5.3 swap and it looked clean. I'm much more comfortable doing an engine swap than I am doing a SAS.

I agree that it can be a superior platform for a trail rig. The 3rd gen isn't that uncomfortable but I do think an 80 is just a bit better in that regard (more head room and a tad bit more room in the cabin it feels). Heck I put a Scheel Mann in my 80 since I wanted an arm rest... I still need to do the other seat.

Yeah I'll bow out as well with the 3rd gen 4runner discussion part.

I will say the 2UZ and the 1FZ are significantly different than just peak numbers. People here commonly are forgotting about the importance of "power under the curve". People should bust out calculus and do integrals and find out exactly how much more power there is in the 2UZ curve.

True, but you still have the wide body of the 80. My fj40 body is like 65" wide. A 80 body is like 72" wide. A 3rd gen 4runner body is like 67" wide. If you look at 80s on a tight trail they bang into a lot of stuff.
Depends on the trails I guess. Haven’t banged into anything yet out west.

Depends on the trails I guess. Haven’t banged into anything yet out west.
And the driver 😂 in percentages the few extra inches a 80 has is not much.

I wheel with first gen 4Runners and Mini trucks all the time and go wherever they go 🤷‍♂️ and we like to run the hard trails !

Offroading to me is more about getting out and seeing cool places vice driving over rocks.
To some it's about both, sometimes you have to drive over rocks to get to the most beautiful places.
And guy's that like it prefer to call it technical wheeling and it's addicting!!

I thought that the part time mod was documented to improve mileage? It was supposed to be one of the only mods that would pay for itself. Maybe I'm mistaken

Part time mod improves fuel mileage only for those who want it too to justify the cost.

Anyone who's measured mileage long term before and after can tell you any change in mileage isn't measurable. (Very few people keep a proper before/ after record)

There's reasons a conversion might be a good idea, mileage isn't really one. All of this is debated fiercely both ways.

To some it's about both, sometimes you have to drive over rocks to get to the most beautiful places.
And guy's that like it prefer to call it technical wheeling and it's addicting!!

Oh absolutely, I agree.

If technical wheeling is your thing I'm all down to watch people do it. The outcome of body damage / flipping the vehicle / flopping is too high for me. I just don't enjoy wrenching on a vehicle that much (would rather play guitar / snowboard / etc.)

I just don't enjoy wrenching on a vehicle that much

I'd look at something other than the 80 series then. I love mine and its in great condition but part of the experience of owning a 30 year old vehicle is working on it somewhat regularly. I'm not saying you will be doing work on it all the time but things will come up.

If you don't like greasing U joints, changing fluids, troubleshooting old tech or just generally working and tinkering with vehicles there are going to better options for you out there. Part of the 80 series obsession is knowing the condition of everything in the vehicle and knowing you can take it anywhere because if something does come up you can handle it or figure out a way to limp it out.

1689874077874.png

1689874020193.png

I'd look at something other than the 80 series then. I love mine and its in great condition but part of the experience of owning a 30 year old vehicle is working on it somewhat regularly. I'm not saying you will be doing work on it all the time but things will come up.

If you don't like greasing U joints, changing fluids, troubleshooting old tech or just generally working and tinkering with vehicles there are going to better options for you out there. Part of the 80 series obsession is knowing the condition of everything in the vehicle and knowing you can take it anywhere because if something does come up you can handle it or figure out a way to limp it out.

I've already done a ton of work on my 80. The last major mod for me is an LS swap which hopefully I'll be starting in the next 5 to 6 months.

There's a far difference between what broski said about technical wheeling and offroading/overlanding. If you're gonna drive on Prichett Canyon and those kinds of trails it's likely you're gonna mash up components and need to do a good bit of effort to make sure the rig is in order. Most trails aren't going to need any work performed on an 80 afterwards. Part of the 80 series obsession is knowing you can beat on the truck and put it away wet so to speak.

Greasing ujoints and changing fluids is pretty routine for any vehicle.

Last edited:
Whoops I meant to reply to the OP who was thinking about getting an 80. Cheers!

Hey guys so I thought I’d ask you all for your opinions on this truck I’m looking at today. I keep seeing comments about how newbies buy old pieces of crap with rose tinted glasses and get screwed lol.

The hatch on this one is rusted out but the owner tells me it’s basically rust free elsewhere. I’ll be crawling around with a hammer and screwdriver to check. Interior is also torn up and AC doesn’t work. It burns a bit of oil. Everything else is trouble free and works correctly per seller.

It has a 2” lift, rock sliders and winch bumper, and is triple locked. Feels like a great candidate for a ready to go trail rig I don’t need to cry too hard about if it gets more pinstriping. I really don’t want to go over $10k and this is the first LC I’ve seen locally that is triple locked in my price range.

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

Hey guys so I thought I’d ask you all for your opinions on this truck I’m looking at today. I keep seeing comments about how newbies buy old pieces of crap with rose tinted glasses and get screwed lol.

The hatch on this one is rusted out but the owner tells me it’s basically rust free elsewhere. I’ll be crawling around with a hammer and screwdriver to check. Interior is also torn up and AC doesn’t work. It burns a bit of oil. Everything else is trouble free and works correctly per seller.

It has a 2” lift, rock sliders and winch bumper, and is triple locked. Feels like a great candidate for a ready to go trail rig I don’t need to cry too hard about if it gets more pinstriping. I really don’t want to go over $10k and this is the first LC I’ve seen locally that is triple locked in my price range.

What's your level of mechanical/electrical skill set?

The reality is an 80 series is a 25+ year old vehicle that likely needs a good bit of maintenance to bring it back to functioning 100%. It's almost a guarantee you're gonna need to drop some coin on it unless you get a BAT (bring a trailer) example. Either get your wrenches ready or your wallet.

At least you're smart enough to realize this is more of a trail rig / second vehicle.

What's your level of mechanical/electrical skill set?

The reality is an 80 series is a 25+ year old vehicle that likely needs a good bit of maintenance to bring it back to functioning 100%. It's almost a guarantee you're gonna need to drop some coin on it unless you get a BAT (bring a trailer) example. Either get your wrenches ready or your wallet.

At least you're smart enough to realize this is more of a trail rig / second vehicle.

I have owned many 20-30 year old s***boxes. Before my move to CO I sold a 99 Miata track car I built and a 93 MR2 that had been neglected for years with 240k miles. I fully expect any <$10k example to need regular love. Heck, I expect the same from a BaT example too. Old cars gonna do old car stuff.

I am also comfortable doing most work myself.

My everyday car is a 2023 GR86. This will be a trail/camping toy and occasional hauling tool for when my 86 can’t carry some Craigslist furniture or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom