80 vs 100 series at altitude (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys so I thought I’d ask you all for your opinions on this truck I’m looking at today. I keep seeing comments about how newbies buy old pieces of crap with rose tinted glasses and get screwed lol.

The hatch on this one is rusted out but the owner tells me it’s basically rust free elsewhere. I’ll be crawling around with a hammer and screwdriver to check. Interior is also torn up and AC doesn’t work. It burns a bit of oil. Everything else is trouble free and works correctly per seller.

It has a 2” lift, rock sliders and winch bumper, and is triple locked. Feels like a great candidate for a ready to go trail rig I don’t need to cry too hard about if it gets more pinstriping. I really don’t want to go over $10k and this is the first LC I’ve seen locally that is triple locked in my price range.

View attachment 3379454

View attachment 3379455

View attachment 3379456

View attachment 3379457

View attachment 3379458

Honestly, shop around a lot before pulling the trigger. Lots of 80s for sale. I think I looked at 20-30 or so and test drove 3 before buying mine. This will give you perspective on price, condition, etc

Triple lockers can have their own issues so don’t put that much stock into them.

Honestly, shop around a lot before pulling the trigger. Lots of 80s for sale. I think I looked at 20-30 or so and test drove 3 before buying mine. This will give you perspective on price, condition, etc

Triple lockers can have their own issues so don’t put that much stock into them.

Thanks I think this is good advice in general for old used cars.

I have been watching marketplace for a couple months and this will be the second one I’ve gone to test drive in person.

Thanks I think this is good advice in general for old used cars.

I have been watching marketplace for a couple months and this will be the second one I’ve gone to test drive in person.

The Landcruiser you posted to me looks on the edge. Engine looks like a hot mess, oil smeared on the cover, zip ties, random horn in the back, factory hose clamps. To me this screams of neglect which it probably has in several places. You could buy this and run it til it dies but not something I would want to run.

Check out post #12. I woudl argue it's still pretty accurate but this will give you an idea of what an 80 would be for $10k.

The Landcruiser you posted to me looks on the edge. Engine looks like a hot mess, oil smeared on the cover, zip ties, random horn in the back, factory hose clamps. To me this screams of neglect which it probably has in several places. You could buy this and run it til it dies but not something I would want to run.

Check out post #12. I woudl argue it's still pretty accurate but this will give you an idea of what an 80 would be for $10k.

Thank you that’s very useful.

This sits in the average mileage slot but takes a hit because it’s rough in other areas.

So I pulled the trigger on this one. Besides the hatch it was pretty much 100% rust free. The owner gave me the impression the truck was well loved and got very regular maintenance. There are definitely some places it will need work but for the money it seems very solid.

The “random horn” in the back is a PA system connected to the CB radio.

I asked for some recommendations on a dirt lot I can use to test the lockers etc. He sent me to a big park area with 4x4 trails and deep mud pits and said to “have fun 😉”. Everything works as expected.

For $8200 it seems like a great buy.

IMG_3140.png

Congratulations you made a good choice 80s rule !!

So I pulled the trigger on this one. Besides the hatch it was pretty much 100% rust free. The owner gave me the impression the truck was well loved and got very regular maintenance. There are definitely some places it will need work but for the money it seems very solid.

The “random horn” in the back is a PA system connected to the CB radio.

I asked for some recommendations on a dirt lot I can use to test the lockers etc. He sent me to a big park area with 4x4 trails and deep mud pits and said to “have fun 😉”. Everything works as expected.

For $8200 it seems like a great buy.

View attachment 3380571
That's a steal for 3x lock. If trailed regularly, that's what the engine bay it's supposed to look like......mud, dirt and dust- Don't worry. Jusy base line it, replace rubbers and bushings and have fun. You will get the same enjoyment as with someone that spend ridiculously amount of $$ on BAT. Feels more gratifying to wrench on it yourself when you drive her as well. Good luck

That is a pretty good deal, depending on engine condition. Generally, I shy away from 3x locked as it commands a premium and you end up getting a worse vehicle at a given price. ...Also one of the reasons I like the FJ80 so much is that dollar per dollar, you should be getting an 80 series in the best of shape.

That said, I think it probably worked out really well for you. Don't underestimate the amount of work it will need, though! Headgasket, valve stem seals, exhaust, etc, are all quite possible.

Embarrassingly enough, I went to run some easy trails yesterday and the truck died about 20 feet from the exit from the parking garage at my apartment. I ended up spending all day on Sunday figuring out how to get the car started again. It turned out to be some corroded wires.

The fix is kinda janky so I need to get a more permanent fix done before I attempt 2.0 at wheeling on some trails.

Embarrassingly enough, I went to run some easy trails yesterday and the truck died about 20 feet from the exit from the parking garage at my apartment. I ended up spending all day on Sunday figuring out how to get the car started again. It turned out to be some corroded wires.

The fix is kinda janky so I need to get a more permanent fix done before I attempt 2.0 at wheeling on some trails.
be glad it didn't die on the trail!

be glad it didn't die on the trail!
😂 that’s exactly what I was thinking

I’m so glad it died immediately instead of about 30 minutes into the drive. I had a buddy those truck killed a transmission 30 miles from pavement and getting it back home was a serious ordeal.

Yeah, maybe daily drive it for a while and plug through some maintenance before heading up a mountain in the dark with a bunch of strangers :D. What year and how many miles does it have on the clock (just curious since I'm always watching 80 prices)?

Buy a wiring harness for the 95 while they are still available. You'll be glad you did.
That’s a thought

Honestly though worst case scenario I make a wiring harness if it comes down to it. It would be a pain but not the end of the world.

That’s a thought

Honestly though worst case scenario I make a wiring harness if it comes down to it. It would be a pain but not the end of the world.

He’s likely referring to a complete engine harness. You do not want to make one. I highly recommend getting a new one while you can.

Discontinued parts continues to grow.

He’s likely referring to a complete engine harness. You do not want to make one. I highly recommend getting a new one while you can.

Discontinued parts continues to grow.
Yeah I understood. I appreciate the concern and you are right I’d prefer not to make one.

That said, I have made harnesses before. I also have friends who do technician and engineering work for aerospace wiring harnesses that are much more complex than the FZJ80 engine harness.

I’d rather buy one for $650 than make one but if they’re NLA when needed I’m not scared of doing it myself beyond being a huge inconvenience

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom