Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JGonzales,

I wish I could say it has all been roses so far, but there is a fair share of manure as well. I am not sure how old you are, or what position you held in the military, but I am 38 and would probably have been considered senior management at the job I quit. There is a lot of re-learning how to shut your mouth and soldier on, even when you know the professors are wrong. There is also some posturing to scare the young kids, i.e. if you miss a class you are out of the program, teachers that have no real world experience but have only been in college for 10 years and are younger than you trying to tell you how to do management, etc. But all in all it has been a good experience. If you are considering the Doctor of Nursing Anesthetic Practice, be warned that all of colleges are extending their programs from 5 to 7 years. So if you are still young, say under 30-32, you really need to weigh out the fact that MD Anesthesiologists are about an 11-12 year program with an average salary of around $600k/yr vs DNAP that are between $220-320k/year with a 7 year program.

Good luck on whatever you chose, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Ryan.

The military, ha! Never heard it called that before. Totally did not mean to hi-jack this amazing thread but had to say somethin'.

I'm sure you aren't doing it because you thought it would be easy, but the perseverance exhibited is inspirational to say the least.

And this build...pffffff. I'm 26, I hope I can handle life half as well as you are by the time I'm 38.

And thank you sir! Much apprecieated!!

Oh sorry I must have misunderstood, I thought you meant you were in the military and were trying to figure out what you were going to do when you got out. Thanks again for the props, still if you have any questions just give me a shout!

Ryan

The military, ha! Never heard it called that before. Totally did not mean to hi-jack this amazing thread but had to say somethin'.

I'm sure you aren't doing it because you thought it would be easy, but the perseverance exhibited is inspirational to say the least.

And this build...pffffff. I'm 26, I hope I can handle life half as well as you are by the time I'm 38.

And thank you sir! Much apprecieated!!

Haha thanks Beno, slowly but surely, I will go back to making a little money mid January instead of just spending it so maybe we will see somethings moving forward then.

I think the head, intake and exhaust combo is going to look really good once I get the exhaust manifold coated, the valve cover powder coated and I get off my butt and install the direct port nitrous setup into the intake manifold. I just hate drilling and tapping 6 holes in such a nice manifold. Still trying to decide if I will do it on the top side to show it off or try and do it underneath to keep it hidden so it isn't so overt or maybe even just buy a 102mm plate that fits between the TB and manifold to keep it very sleeper.

If I do the direct port on the bottom it will look like this:

10156-8.jpg

My god. That's beautiful Scott.

:clap:

Last edited:
That is beautiful. Damn you Scott. I want a diesel.
[
10156-8.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! I don't think I am going to do the direct port injection, simply because most nozzles only go down to 35hp and if I have to use 6 of them that is like a 210hp shot, which would be fine if I was only doing nitrous, but with a turbo I think it is overkill.

I talked to Nitrous Outlet guys and they said from my needs which are really just to cool the intake charge, maybe spool a little quicker if I need it and to throw like an extra 100hp on top they said just go with the plate. It is pretty low profile and just bolts between the TB and manifold and you only have one line to run I could always go back and add direct port later if it doesn't work well.

00-42027_4__2.jpg

That is beautiful. Damn you Scott. I want a diesel.
[
[/QUOTE]

No I probably won't do any interior pics for a while. I have a lot to do with the interior to make it look decent.

Did you install the seats in the truck yet? Any pics?

Well I may have opened my mouth and this project might be taking another big step. I said from the beginning I had a weight and hp goal. I am fairly confident that getting the hp isn't going to be a problem. Then I started kind of looking at engine weights. These old cast iron blocks are heavy. I don't have a number on the 1FZ but a big block Chevy is about 225-240lbs when it's cast iron, and their billet aluminum blocks are as low as 85lbs!

So I jokingly started throwing it out there that there needs to be a billet aluminum 1FZ block.

Well there is a crazy enough Aussie that also thinks there is and it sounds like he is going to start. I didn't know much about him but quickly learned that their race team is pretty huge in Australia. And he (Ben Bray) holds the record for SR20 4 cylinders at around 2000hp!

Anyways I really am batting way out of my league but do want to find out where this goes. But a full billet block and solid 1FZ really sparks my interest!

"I will be making one this year Ryan if your interested" - Ben Bray, Bray Racing
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG

LOL. "If it can make horsepower ill own it and enjoy it"

Interested to see where this goes, how it goes, but mostly when it goes! Your a more patient man than I but i guess you have the other "beater" to keep you entertained in the mean time. Keep it up :)

Last edited:
That would be an amazing build for sure.

Do you have any thoughts on how the engine would behave as far as continuous use goes? Versus running just long enough for a dragstrip pass that is. It should be doable. Early aluminum high performance block/head combos suffered at their mating points as well as the billet steel cap mating the block. Chevrolet had success with the aluminum CanAm racing big block in racing service and then oddly had issues sealing heads on the ZL1 drag cars when the engines were snuck into Camaros during the "COPO" era. Porsche hit the same snag with the 2.7 flat six until they discovered how to taper the head studs to match the thermal expansion of the aluminum. That technology is now bread and butter on aluminum production engines. Since ARP is king in bolt technology and Cometic is with the head gasket, they probably already have an answer and solution on a custom application vs those old problems I suppose.
The engine would be a showpiece on its own, and if it retained relative durability so you could enjoy it, would be a home run!

Well it's pretty unlikely I will actually go with a billet block simply because I am sure the cost will far exceed my current budget but it is going to be pretty awesome to see what they come up with. The fact they have the ability to do a complete clean sheet redesign makes the possibilities endless. Open deck block with Darton wet sleeves, girdled main caps, dry sump oil system, etc. At this point I am just an idea man. My funds for projects like this have all but disappeared. But it is very cool nevertheless.

That would be an amazing build for sure.

Do you have any thoughts on how the engine would behave as far as continuous use goes? Versus running just long enough for a dragstrip pass that is. It should be doable. Early aluminum high performance block/head combos suffered at their mating points as well as the billet steel cap mating the block. Chevrolet had success with the aluminum CanAm racing big block in racing service and then oddly had issues sealing heads on the ZL1 drag cars when the engines were snuck into Camaros during the "COPO" era. Porsche hit the same snag with the 2.7 flat six until they discovered how to taper the head studs to match the thermal expansion of the aluminum. That technology is now bread and butter on aluminum production engines. Since ARP is king in bolt technology and Cometic is with the head gasket, they probably already have an answer and solution on a custom application vs those old problems I suppose.
The engine would be a showpiece on its own, and if it retained relative durability so you could enjoy it, would be a home run!

It is so cool that these types of builds can even happen. 20 years ago, the idea of even producing small parts on an individual basis was nearly unheard of. Now a shop can produce one engine block for themselves just to see how it goes. Amazing the fun things that technology and innovation can provide!

Well it's pretty unlikely I will actually go with a billet block simply because I am sure the cost will far exceed my current budget but it is going to be pretty awesome to see what they come up with. The fact they have the ability to do a complete clean sheet redesign makes the possibilities endless. Open deck block with Darton wet sleeves, girdled main caps, dry sump oil system, etc. At this point I am just an idea man. My funds for projects like this have all but disappeared. But it is very cool nevertheless.

If you started a 'help me build a balls out crazy fzj80' go fund me page it would be one of the least ridiculous go fund me's that I have seen. Hell I'd donate, this thread has photos on par with the SOCD thread.

Haha, yeah I don't know I would hate to promise anything and then have people donate and not be able to deliver. What is the SOCD thread? Sounds like something I need to check out. haha.

If you started a 'help me build a balls out crazy fzj80' go fund me page it would be one of the least ridiculous go fund me's that I have seen. Hell I'd donate, this thread has photos on par with the SOCD thread.

Ryan, I finally got an update from ATF:
"
Jason,
Hey it's been awhile since we last spoke. Just wanted to let you know that we're gonna get your unit on the bench and apart soon. But aside from that we had a Tacoma 343F trans it looks the same as the A340E inside. The Heavy Duty 2nd gear sprag is going to work, the Billet Pistons as well as the Valve Body mods so we believe we can get this to handle some decent power 700-800WHP. Now the question for you is how far do you want us to go as far as building this. Do you want to be able to handle that 700-800 WHP, if so you'd be looking at $2995 for the transmission. Torque Converter wise we`ll have to invest more time but I think we can build one for it. Might need a flexplate from you to make sure the covers we use for the 2JZs can be used for this engine. "

Im sending them the flywheel this weekend. Ive got money flying out my account on 20 directions at moment, so it will be a long minute before I get it... But its a start... The parts fit.

Finally canceled my rear heavy sway bar order... After almost a year they finally tell me sorry we don't make it anymore. Where did you get yours? Oh and whats your opinion on the suspension from ICON? Im still on the fence on suspension. I'll still be running 35 tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom