80 series: Replaced Gearbox and Power Steering Pump but still having issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Peeps,

Hoping to get some feedback from some of you gurus on IH8mud. I have a 1994 FZJ80 and have been having issues with steering play at certain speeds as well as steering stiffness when idle or driving at slow speeds.

In a way to tackle this, considering that my 80 has over 240k miles, I decided to replace both the steering gearbox (bought an OEM rebuilt version from a local manufacturer) and the power steering pump with high & low pressure hoses (all OEM parts). After making these changes, I saw some improvement but the steering still feels very tight when idle (vehicle not moving) and then it loosens up too much (too much play) when you start catching speed again. Am I missing something here or should I look at something else? My truck has 35s, OME suspension with a steering stabilizer as well as tie rods from terrain tamer. My mechanic mentioned that the issues could be due to the gearing box potentially being bad, although it is a brand new rebuilt one, or something with the steering column/shaft being bent or not working properly. Any tips on this from anyone? I keep putting money into it and don’t really see improvements. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Erick

Have you trouble shot the portion of steering that adjusts resistance with speed?

Our steering is speed sensitive.

The fault tree describes your exact issue.

Screenshot_20220910-002834_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

...when in doubt, read the FSM.

Our steering is speed sensitive.
In a US spec 80 Series??
This is not mentioned in any of the FSMs from 91 through 97.
There is no 5 pin connector on the ECU and there is no solenoid controlled fluid diverter valve in the PS system.

Last edited:
In a US spec 80 Series??
This is not mentioned in any of the FSMs from 91 through 97.
There is no 5 pin connector on the ECU and there is no solenoid controlled fluid diverter valve in the PS system.

This is the manual the pages are in.

Screenshot_20220910-063524_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20220910-063536_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It doesn't differentiate whether it's usdm or not, just certain sections specify engine.

When I had an electrical issue and lost my speed signal my steering definitely changed feeling.

This is the manual the pages are in.
It doesn't differentiate whether it's usdm or not, just certain sections specify engine.
When I had an electrical issue and lost my speed signal my steering definitely changed feeling.
That makes sense. Likely the HDJ has it but the FJ/FZJ does not.

@Dusten I haven’t done any of the troubleshooting you have suggested so it makes sense the more I read it. Thank you for putting forward - I greatly appreciate it. I am going to validate whether the steering column is indeed bent or if any of the other troubleshoots help me fix my problem. Super helpful - thank you again.

Your steering system is not speed sensitive. Have you inspected/replaced wheel bearings, leading and trailing arm bushings, track bar bushings, tie rod ends? Have you inspected the frame and front track bar bracket for cracks in the vicinity of the steering gear box? Where did you buy the “rebuilt gear box”? Have you driven a truck before? Your 1994 FZJ80 is an old school design and will not drive like a modern vehicle of any type, not even modern pickups and SUV’s.

Your steering system is not speed sensitive. Have you inspected/replaced wheel bearings, leading and trailing arm bushings, track bar bushings, tie rod ends? Have you inspected the frame and front track bar bracket for cracks in the vicinity of the steering gear box? Where did you buy the “rebuilt gear box”? Have you driven a truck before? Your 1994 FZJ80 is an old school design and will not drive like a modern vehicle of any type, not even modern pickups and SUV’s.
Hey @baldilocks. Thanks for the feedback! Arm bushings, tie rod ends and gearbox have recently been replaced. Track bar bushings have not so may need to check that out. I bought it from a company called Advantage Steering (local manufacturer). They have lifetime warranties on all their OEM remanufactured products. I have used them in the past for my 100 series. I have driven many trucks before :). I own quite a few Land Cruisers as well so have dealt with them for years but this one I can’t seem to track down the issue. Completely understand these are older vehicles. In this case, the truck runs great just has those issues with steering. With your comment regarding the steering system not being sensitive, are you saying that what @Dusten shared above is not applicable in this case? What he shared pretty much explains what I am going through. Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated. I may need to claim a warranty on the gearbox if that is what is giving me issues.

Hey @baldilocks. Thanks for the feedback! Arm bushings, tie rod ends and gearbox have recently been replaced. Track bar bushings have not so may need to check that out. I bought it from a company called Advantage Steering (local manufacturer). They have lifetime warranties on all their OEM remanufactured products. I have used them in the past for my 100 series. I have driven many trucks before :). I own quite a few Land Cruisers as well so have dealt with them for years but this one I can’t seem to track down the issue. Completely understand these are older vehicles. In this case, the truck runs great just has those issues with steering. With your comment regarding the steering system not being sensitive, are you saying that what @Dusten shared above is not applicable in this case? What he shared pretty much explains what I am going through. Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated. I may need to claim a warranty on the gearbox if that is what is giving me issues.
I’ll direct you back to post #5. I concur completely with what is written there and couldn’t have been more clear myself.

My bet is on a bad rebuilt box. Did you get it from a abc local parts store? It is not uncommon to have bad rebuilt units right out of the box. Sent it to red head steering and get it properly rebuilt. If the pump is a rebuilt part store one buy a new toyota one.

My bet is on a bad rebuilt box. Did you get it from a abc local parts store? It is not uncommon to have bad rebuilt units right out of the box. Sent it to red head steering and get it properly rebuilt. If the pump is a rebuilt part store one buy a new toyota one.
Everything is OEM. The steering gearbox is an OEM remanufactured one from Advance Steering in Indio, California. Starting to think if the potential bent column/shaft is also the problem. I haven’t done my due diligence on some of the things @baldilocks described above so need to do quite a bit of homework.

If the column is in fact bent, is the recommendation to replace the upper shaft and the intermediary shaft? I love Ih8mud but also hate how much info there is on all these forums. If the gearbox is bad, should I replace with the 105 shaft one? Etc…. Too many potential causes to my issues.

Everything is OEM. The steering gearbox is an OEM remanufactured one from Advance Steering in Indio, California. Starting to think if the potential bent column/shaft is also the problem. I haven’t done my due diligence on some of the things @baldilocks described above so need to do quite a bit of homework.

If the column is in fact bent, is the recommendation to replace the upper shaft and the intermediary shaft? I love Ih8mud but also hate how much info there is on all these forums. If the gearbox is bad, should I replace with the 105 shaft one? Etc…. Too many potential causes to my issues.
Here's what search got me to consider - pretty powerful/handy tool:
  • It's Advantage Steering out of Indio
    • I could not come up with another review on their work searching the 80 tech forum
    • If it is "OEM reman" as you say, one shouldn't assume they're using OEM parts unless specified and documented (many don't care; I do)
  • A brand new OEM gear box which comes with the 105 sector shaft is still available
  • A 105 upgrade with pitman arm kit is avail via WE
  • Red-head is an oft used vendor to "rebuild"
These "lifetime warranties" are worthless to me. They don't warranty my time lost from remediating sht work that should've been done right in the first place.

gl!

P.S. I went T new due to trust issues

IMG_0141.jpeg

Last edited:
The 105 sector shaft is a nice upgrade. Apparently brand new steering boxes now come from Toyota with the 105 shaft but it should not be necessary unless you plan to run bigger tires and beat on it hard.

As stated, above, Redhead in WA does great steering gear rebuild. They did mine and it’s smooth as silk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom