80 Series Part 2: Electric Boogaloo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Long way to go but finally started getting all my parts organized. The mess I had before was really starting to get to me.

View attachment 2425251

More en route From Joey as we speak.
Where did you find those recovery plates on your shelf? I have been looking for some.
Happy New Year.

Where did you find those recovery plates on your shelf? I have been looking for some.
Happy New Year.
They are trail tailor and seriously well made like all his stuff. With the front and rear steel bumpers I have now, I really have no use for them. PM me if you want them, would be happy to send them your way at a discount.

Been prioritizing a new rear drawer set up for months now. ARB had been at the top of my list for a long time but for some reason I could just never pull the trigger. Put a deposit down for the Big Country 4x4 Savute drawers. Made in South Africa with galvanized steel/aluminum and supposedly larger and more usable than anything else on the market. Fit/finish looks pretty good too from the photos. These seem incredibly hard to pass up especially at the introductory price @RuggedBound is offering. Will be a few months until I have my hands on these but super excited to get them in the cruiser.

D100-LC100-Drawer-scaled.jpg

2020-11-01 15.37.42.jpg

Well, it's 2021 and everything is exactly the same (who would've thought??) Lets talk about things that can and will change - random BS on my 80.

Cruiser priorities for 2021:

-Finally get my truck up to @OTRAMM for regear/harrop rear locker and a few other odds and ends. He has been so patient while I get myself together and make the trip up there, literally been holding parts for me taking up valuable shelf space. Thinking early spring.

-Sell my Metaltech sliders and replace them with Slee step sliders. Has been hard for my wife to get in and out already - just had my first kid now too. Add him to the mix and I want to make it as easy as possible.

-Really sit down and make a decision on 5.29s vs 4.88s. I have gone back and forth on this for longer than I should admit. So many pros/cons for both. I do plan to stick to 35s though so I realize 5.29s would be going against the grain here.

-Figure out storage for the back. Done/see previous post.

-Possibly switch back to A/T tires. The MTRs are the best tire off road I have ever had but they are also heavy, loud and mostly unnecessary.

-Skid plates. Probably Slee, probably at the same time I get the sliders.

-Get another 2nd key, I lost the other one I had just bought :doh:

-Fix my terrible exhaust

I think that's it. I like to pretend it's possible I'll be "done" soon.

Last edited:
Well, it's 2021 and everything is exactly the same (who would've thought??) Lets talk about things that can and will change - random BS on my 80.

Cruiser priorities for 2021:

-Finally get my truck up to @OTRAMM for regear/harrop rear locker and a few other odds and ends. He has been so patient while I get myself together and make the trip up there, literally been holding parts for me taking up valuable shelf space. Thinking early spring.

-Sell my Metaltech sliders and replace them with Slee step sliders. Has been hard for my wife to get in and out already - just had my first kid now too. Add him to the mix and I want to make it as easy as possible.

-Really sit down and make a decision on 5.29s vs 4.88s. I have gone back and forth on this for longer than I should admit. So many pros/cons for both. I do plan to stick to 35s though so I realize 5.29s would be going against the grain here.

-Figure out storage for the back. Done/see previous post.

-Possibly switch back to A/T tires. The MTRs are the best tire off road I have ever had but they are also heavy, loud and mostly unnecessary.

-Skid plates. Probably Slee, probably at the same time I get the sliders.

-Get another 2nd key, I lost the other one I had just bought :doh:

-Fix my terrible exhaust

I think that's it. I like to pretend it's possible I'll be "done" soon.

I vote 4.88s. They are stronger and you can regear the transfer if you need more later.

I vote 4.88s. They are stronger and you can regear the transfer if you need more later.
I'm not sure I buy the whole "stronger" argument. It may be technically true but even people running massive tires very rarely seem to break them. Seems like a moot point IMO. That said, the second part of your comment is really a good point. I have always thought about doing the low range transfer but I guess you could go in and add more gear in the high range too on top of the 4.88s later if necessary.

I had 4.88s/35s on my last truck and while I liked it a lot, it felt like there could still be a bit more. I do very little highway driving (mostly country roads/forest roads) which is what made me consider 5.29s in the first place.

The the number of 5.29 pinions broken proves that there is something to the theory. The front is the main concern because is small in any ratio. Besides that, 5.29’s with 35’s will have your engine singing in soprano at 75mph and I’m under the impression that you don’t intend to take that beautiful rig out rock crawling.

The the number of 5.29 pinions broken proves that there is something to the theory. The front is the main concern because is small in any ratio. Besides that, 5.29’s with 35’s will have your engine singing in soprano at 75mph and I’m under the impression that you don’t intend to take that beautiful rig out rock crawling.
I've heard that many times, beating a dead horse here but honestly seems like a moot point since breakage isn't anymore common than other gear sizes. Not saying the theory doesn't have sense to it, just doesn't seem to matter in practice.

I rarely am on the highway as I mentioned, country roads where the speed limit is 45 most of the time. RPMs wouldn't be high enough for concern in those cases so the thought was may as well have the extra low end grunt while off road (and off the line while street driving bc who doesn't like that). That said, for the times I am on the highway it won't be ideal.

What's up with garages always getting out of order? I'm in middle of getting mine organized and looking forward to the satisfaction you're enjoying. And, yeah, aren't we always ordering more parts from Joey? :rofl:

Long way to go but finally started getting all my parts organized. The mess I had before was really starting to get to me.

View attachment 2425251

More en route From Joey as we speak.

I think I've made a final decision after my final decision, finally, on gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom