80 Series Part 2: Electric Boogaloo (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got back from roughly 2 weeks and 5,000miles in the truck. Didn't skip a beat and didn't burn a drop of oil. Only hiccup we had was the A/C deciding to blow a gasket about 2 hours from home :doh: . A handful of DD trips to work away from 240k and genuinely runs better than many 80s I've been in with half the miles. Always amazes me what these trucks will do for you if you treat them right.

Left Va and after a few stops on the road, landed in Santa Fe. First time I had been there and quickly became one of my favorite towns I have been to. Really spectacular architecture and culture...not to mention the views and proximity to amazing outdoor activity. Enjoyed it, will be back someday.

IMG_5719.JPG

Left Santa Fe and headed for SW Colorado area (the goal of the trip). Grabbed a quick bite in pagosa on the way in and beelined for Durango. Another amazing town. Set up camp and got some rest.

IMG_5753.JPG

Left for Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area. Hit a few trails, saw a few sites, camped, just all around had a blast. Only problem is it rained just about the entire time. Bummer, but not normally a huge problem - the springbar tent held up very well...but 2 nights straight in non-stop rain was about all I could ask from my pregnant wife, she is a trooper.

IMG_8992.JPG

So made the snap decision to head to the desert. Moab. Not our first time there, so the usual tourist spots/trails weren't the priority. Sitting in a line of 30 Jeeps waiting to roll over a rock when its 103 outside is not as fun as its made out to be. Goal was to get away from the crowds, see some beautiful sites and not get rained on. After PMing a member here (won't mention him directly since I'm sure everyone will then start PMing him) he led us to a specific area in the Moab region that was just that - perfect. Felt like we were the only ones there. Couldn't have asked for more. Set up camp on some BLM land in the area, did a couple more trails, hiked a little, loved every minute of it.

IMG_9080.JPG

After that, made the 2,000 mile trek home, and here I sit, planning the next one.

Some things I learned, and some takeaways (some tech related, some not) since there is always room for improvement on every trip.

- I need to switch out my sliders. My wife had trouble getting in and out the entire time, will be more complicated in the future. Slee step sliders are the cure.
- I am changing my gearing choice. 5.29/35s makes sense for me 99% of the time, but if I have any hope of more trips like this, I need 4.88s instead. There is a lot of highway between Virginia and Utah. A brand new set of nitro 5.29s will be for sale in the classified section soon, PM me if interested.
- The Speski barrier was the most crucial last minute purchase I made. Was so happy I had it, beyond useful.
- OBA would be really nice, but I'm not sure the extra expense would be truly worth it, not a priority at the moment - filing it in the 'nice to have' category. On Board Water on the other hand is a different story. Our gatorade jug on labs bumper set up actually worked ok for what it was (pic below), but something more sophisticated is on the horizon.

IMG_9022.JPG

- I undervalued the importance of rear drawers. Had them in my last truck and used the hell out of them, I need a new set.
- I'm not sure if upgrading to a fridge is worth it. Besides the obvious drastic expense over even the best cooler, it adds so much extra complication. Extra wiring, extra battery or solar or both, is hard mounted and hard to remove. How is that worth it over needing to grab ice every 4-5 days? I'm not convinced. Having the ability to sleep back there in a pinch as well is very nice - not easy with a fridge if its more than one person.
- Our sleeping set up was the most comfortable camping I have ever done. Springbar tent, camptime cots, Exped Mega Mats. Was the perfect base camp. Only complaint is the stakes. Here in Va, takes a few minutes, no problems whatsoever. Out there in CO/UT...totally different story. Bent stakes and lots of curse words. Won't be changing all of this out immediately, but I don't see us going that far again with the same set up.
- Lastly and most importantly. There is no good Italian food west of the Missippi. I love it out there, landscapes are amazing, outdoor activity proximity is amazing, but good lord beyond your tacos/burritos and tex/mex, learn how to cook :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Glad you didn’t make it to Idaho. All we have to eat are tacos/burritos, and nothing but solid rocks to set tents up on.

Looks like an awesome trip though!

Just got back from roughly 2 weeks and 5,000miles in the truck. Didn't skip a beat and didn't burn a drop of oil. Only hiccup we had was the A/C deciding to blow a gasket about 2 hours from home :doh: . A handful of DD trips to work away from 240k and genuinely runs better than many 80s I've been in with half the miles. Always amazes me what these trucks will do for you if you treat them right.

Left Va and after a few stops on the road, landed in Santa Fe. First time I had been there and quickly became one of my favorite towns I have been to. Really spectacular architecture and culture...not to mention the views and proximity to amazing outdoor activity. Enjoyed it, will be back someday.

Left Santa Fe and headed for SW Colorado area (the goal of the trip). Grabbed a quick bite in pagosa on the way in and beelined for Durango. Another amazing town. Set up camp and got some rest.

Left for Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area. Hit a few trails, saw a few sites, camped, just all around had a blast. Only problem is it rained just about the entire time. Bummer, but not normally a huge problem - the springbar tent held up very well...but 2 nights straight in non-stop rain was about all I could ask from my pregnant wife, she is a trooper.

So made the snap decision to head to the desert. Moab. Not our first time there, so the usual tourist spots/trails weren't the priority. Sitting in a line of 30 Jeeps waiting to roll over a rock when its 103 outside is not as fun as its made out to be. Goal was to get away from the crowds, see some beautiful sites and not get rained on. After PMing a member here (won't mention him directly since I'm sure everyone will then start PMing him) he led us to a specific area in the Moab region that was just that - perfect. Felt like we were the only ones there. Couldn't have asked for more. Set up camp on some BLM land in the area, did a couple more trails, hiked a little, loved every minute of it.

After that, made the 2,000 mile trek home, and here I sit, planning the next one.

Some things I learned, and some takeaways (some tech related, some not) since there is always room for improvement on every trip.

- I need to switch out my sliders. My wife had trouble getting in and out the entire time, will be more complicated in the future. Slee step sliders are the cure.
- I am changing my gearing choice. 5.29/35s makes sense for me 99% of the time, but if I have any hope of more trips like this, I need 4.88s instead. There is a lot of highway between Virginia and Utah. A brand new set of nitro 5.29s will be for sale in the classified section soon, PM me if interested.
- The Speski barrier was the most crucial last minute purchase I made. Was so happy I had it, beyond useful.
- OBA would be really nice, but I'm not sure the extra expense would be truly worth it, not a priority at the moment - filing it in the 'nice to have' category. On Board Water on the other hand is a different story. Our gatorade jug on labs bumper set up actually worked ok for what it was (pic below), but something more sophisticated is on the horizon.

- I undervalued the importance of rear drawers. Had them in my last truck and used the hell out of them, I need a new set.
- I'm not sure if upgrading to a fridge is worth it. Besides the obvious drastic expense over even the best cooler, it adds so much extra complication. Extra wiring, extra battery or solar or both, is hard mounted and hard to remove. How is that worth it over needing to grab ice every 4-5 days? I'm not convinced. Having the ability to sleep back there in a pinch as well is very nice - not easy with a fridge if its more than one person.
- Our sleeping set up was the most comfortable camping I have ever done. Springbar tent, camptime cots, Exped Mega Mats. Was the perfect base camp. Only complaint is the stakes. Here in Va, takes a few minutes, no problems whatsoever. Out there in CO/UT...totally different story. Bent stakes and lots of curse words. Won't be changing all of this out immediately, but I don't see us going that far again with the same set up.
- Lastly and most importantly. There is no good Italian food west of the Missippi. I love it out there, landscapes are amazing, outdoor activity proximity is amazing, but good lord beyond your tacos/burritos and tex/mex, learn how to cook :flipoff2:

Excellent points on all accounts. I like to assess true usefulness of everything I carry with an open mind.
I had the exact same problem with my tent stakes outside Telluride a few years ago. I even brought extra stakes because I was told it would be an issue. I bent them all beyond repair. We ended up going to Walmart in Cortez and got some of those heavy duty stakes and hammer. It seemed silly for a one man tent but it worked.

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound.

Suspension. I have been thinking about all I've done to it and whether it was worth it instead of just going for another OME kit or something.

Below is my current set up:

Icon Front Springs
Slinky Rear Springs
Icon smooth body 2.0 shocks
Icon extended brake lines
Delta Sway Bar Drops
Delta Rear Bump Stop Drops
Delta PLB
Delta 4in. Arms
Ironman Front Adjustable Panhard
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
Landtank Rear Sway Bar HD Links
Land Tank Rear Lower Control Arms
Land Tank Rear Upper Control Arms

Somewhat obvious, as with all things like this, but at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns. I had OME on my last truck and had some serious seat time with it. I honestly think this is just so much better in nearly every single way and actually worth the cost. If we're talking on road prowess, the truck rides and corners at speed incredibly. I have never been able to blast around on country roads in an old land cruiser more confidently. I don't do any serious rock crawling, but in all scenarios I have been in, it has just felt so right. Low speed "crawling" it flexes incredibly well and higher speed washboard (what's most important to me) I have never felt more in control.

No real point here I guess other than I am just loving how it feels driving my truck. Pics included for no reason other than already wishing I was back out west

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_9025.JPG

Last edited:
This months round of unnecessary parts have arrived.

Engine Little Hose Kit
Belt Kit
Curved Heater Hose Kit
Fuel Filter
Starter
PCV Valve Kit
Some Exhaust Parts
Amazon Hood/Hatch Struts

Still need to figure out what I'm going to do with my exhaust. Cats are starting to sound someone playing the maracas.

IMG_6897.jpg

This months round of unnecessary parts have arrived.

Engine Little Hose Kit
Belt Kit
Curved Heater Hose Kit
Fuel Filter
Starter
PCV Valve Kit
Some Exhaust Parts
Amazon Hood/Hatch Struts

Still need to figure out what I'm going to do with my exhaust. Cats are starting to sound someone playing the maracas.

View attachment 2420877
Worth pointing out too, for those considering replacing all rubber under their hood (and if you aren't, you should be) - there is an absolutely massive difference in quality between OEM and Napa slappa/Chinese/whatever. Weight, thickness, shape, material density, etc. are all very different - its actually more apparent than you would guess.

View attachment 2391511

View attachment 2391512

View attachment 2391516

View attachment 2391524

View attachment 2391538

Try using lag screws and a cordless for the tent stakes.

Pulled in for the night, put it in park and realized I had just hit 240k. Not very exciting or impressive, but still feels like something. Been DDing it lately, just love driving it...especially with the "new" suspension set up it feels so good on the road. That'll come to an end soon though, winter is just around the corner and I bought a new absolute sled POS just for that purpose.

IMG_7006.jpg

Also my ultraguage finally sh*t the bed. Knew that was coming though. Glad I installed the Koso slim gauge when I did.

Last edited:
Home for paternity "leave" and left the house for the first time today after getting back from the hospital. Used my high clearance 4x4labs rear bumper to shield my truck from a grocery cart while I loaded it full of food and wine.

IMG_7202.jpg

#stout #wellbuilt #rockguard #protection

Great build man! Gonna copy your suspension setup most likely. Quick question, who made your dash cover? Looks functional.

Did you ever get the front slinky springs?

Did you ever get the front slinky springs?
I didn't. I saw that Millcreek just restocked them, but I honestly have no complaints about my current set up so its hard to justify replacing a pair of essentially brand new springs. I may do it some day, but its definitely not a priority for the time being.

Got some "shop" time. After my longer trip, and a few shorter trips, was nice to get it on an actual lift and just go over every system with a fine tooth comb. Lucky to have access to this type of facility whenever I want. Replaced a few minor things, cannot fathom a nicer 241k vehicle than this one. Almost 2021....looking forward to a long future with this 80.

IMG_6363 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Perfect stance man. That rig is too clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom