80 Series Hood - Insulate or Don't Insulate? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My insulated hood liner is about shot after only 27 years. In our climate is it better to not have the liner? I'm sure I'll hear more engine noise but curious what others have done.
Thanks.

I stripped mine out on both my rigs for the same reason. I don't think it makes any difference in heat, but it does transfer more noise. If you are really concerned about noise and not stuck on keeping the stock bits, I would say use a sound deadening mat like Dynamat. Just make sure it is a true butyl product and not an asphalt product or heat softening might be an issue.

Its also for if the vehicle catches fire (so ive been told) and that smothers the fire...fwiw

Another purpose of the hoodliner is to protect hood's paint from engine heat.

We repainted our 80 a decade or so ago and didn't replace the liner. I'd had the hood louvered and didn't want spend the money on a new one only to cut it up so the louvers would be functional. Hindsight, I wish I had as I can tell in the paint a liner would've helped a bit. However, the external heat in my location isn't as nearly extreme as yours.

I replaced mine after it was shredded by time and radiator top tank shrapnel. It was $145 with a CSC discount and shipped sandwiched between two sheets of cardboard. After researching it, the consensus is that it will help to protect your hood paint, and since $145 is less than a repaint for the hood...

It's simple math. Spring for new plastic plugs for attachment while you're at it.

i call shenannigans on the paint thing, i have yet to see damage done by under hood temps unless you actually do catch on fire.

my 01 Taco has never had one and the paint is perfect, plus all the other rigs ive had. i think its purely a sound thing.

Some time before 1990 I install 1" duct liner on the inside of my 68 FJ40's hood. Used just regular glue used on sheet metal duct. Added fender washers to nuts on the windshield pads and hooks. Sure that helps support in the center. Two piece hood and can't remember if I used two pieces or one. Either way it's still in great condition and never came loose. Did help with sound. Never did the firewall. That would probably help more with cab heat and engine noise.

i call shenannigans on the paint thing, i have yet to see damage done by under hood temps unless you actually do catch on fire.

my 01 Taco has never had one and the paint is perfect, plus all the other rigs ive had. i think its purely a sound thing.
I can’t say for sure, but mine had the liner removed and the paint on the hood in the area over the engine is shot. No issues anywhere else. I realize the hood is a common place for it here in AZ, but for it to be as bad as it is on the hood and nonexistent elsewhere makes me think there might be something to it. Maybe not 100%, but a contributing factor?

thanks for the reminder that I should order hood insulators while still available . . .

and yes, I will definitely not run a supercharged 80 without :doh:

During the recent Lexus xmas parts sale I ordered a new insulator ($169) and 15 mounting pins (rodents ate some of mine up a couple years ago. f’rs). Now I have to find the proper sealant/filler to do the skin to inner rib gaps. Be nice to get rid of the oil-canning hood at speeds over 65…

During the recent Lexus xmas parts sale I ordered a new insulator ($169) and 15 mounting pins (rodents ate some of mine up a couple years ago. f’rs). Now I have to find the proper sealant/filler to do the skin to inner rib gaps. Be nice to get rid of the oil-canning hood at speeds over 65…
I'd be interested in what you use to fix your hood flex as I have the same problem. I looked into it a year ago and I think the filler is an autobody mastic of some kind, but never confirmed what should be used.

adjusting the stoppers in the fenders that the hood rests on is helpful to keep the hood latched down properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom