80 Series Brake Rotors ? Whats been working for you... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brembo rotors up front, Napa in the rear since they are cheap, local and easily replaced if needed. OEM pads. Seems to work just fine, though the pad life is short as expected.

Napa front and rear. Cheap. Pads are key. I run ebc yellow in front and they bite hard.

Posted in the EBC Brake pad thread - but since I got Rotors too, I wanted to put the info here as well. Front Rotors and Pads from Amazon, part numbers and prices (10/7/2017)

Front Right Slotted StopTech Rotor: 126.44093SR
Front Left Slotted StopTech Rotor: 126.44093SL
EBC Front Green 6000 100 Series Pads: DP61319

brakes.PNG

Ebc green stuff pads and ebc rotors with all 7 flex lines from man a fre makes mine stop with 315’s like a damn corvette. 55 stopped in 2 80 series lengths, all my s*** in the back came flying forward. I was not expecting it to stop so well. I have not touched the rear brakes, they’re old but working just fine.

For the next guy who cares–
I’ve got about 12k miles of Baja, Sierras, Wasatch and Rockies ~5k of which were fully loaded AND towing three dirt bikes: continues to stop wonderfully on cheap oreilly pads and rotors.

I have over 225,000 miles and have gone back to OEM pads and rotors for the best performance. I've used concentric, Napa , and 100 series pads.

Do check for proper brake fluid bleeding and also the brake booster and vacuum valve. The single most improvement on braking was replacing the brake booster at 180,000 miles. This was after various oem/aftermarket pads, rotors, master cylinder, and stainless steel lines.

did you upgrade to a different brake booster, or the factory one?

Yes I did a search and didn't find much on this and I want to stay with " Vented " ONLY so NO Cross Drilled or Slotted ( It's not a race car !! ) Mr. T's price is big $$$ but wanted to stay with a quality rotors for sure. Lots of choices Stop Tech , EBC, Centric , Etc.

What's been working for you ?
Any updates on what you went with I'm in the market now for brakes and rotors

There's a few "big brake" kits coming out now which I think are probably the best way to improve braking performance. But it's expensive and definitely more labor intensive that a typical rotor and pad change.

I have been running EBC slotted/dimpled rotors with Hawk green pads for the last 6 months or so. Normal "around town" braking performance feels about the same as OEM but under hard "emergency" braking this setup bites harder than OEM. At least that's how it feels with my calibrated butt in the seat.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Last edited:
R1 Concepts. Works great for me. Only do occasional Hard Wheeling.

1627508373025.png

This is just a hunch, but I tend to think drilled/slotted is a bad idea if you're going through mud. I imagine the mud, sand, silt, small rocks etc that can get wedged in there, and what happens when the side of the brake pads slam/grind into it. At least with a flat surface things won't get trapped, they'll just be spun/wiped off the surface.

It was pricey for sure, but seeing how well the OEM rotors went for the first 25 years of service, I bought another set of OEM rotors when I replaced mine. I figure if they last another 25 years it's worth the money.

Yes I did a search and didn't find much on this and I want to stay with " Vented " ONLY so NO Cross Drilled or Slotted ( It's not a race car !! ) Mr. T's price is big $$$ but wanted to stay with a quality rotors for sure. Lots of choices Stop Tech , EBC, Centric
There's a few "big brake" kits coming out now which I think are probably the best way to improve braking performance. But it's expensive and definitely more labor intensive that a typical rotor and pad change.

I have been running EBC slotted/dimpled rotors with Hawk green pads for the last 6 months or so. Normal "around town" braking performance feels about the same as OEM but under hard "emergency" braking this setup bites harder than OEM. At least that's how it feels with my calibrated butt in the seat.
Okay thanks I was looking at

love the lift kit man I just ordered 3 inch Dobinson I need something good for brakes I'm planning on over landing with it a lot

Tried the Napa and StopTech and EBC and eventually found myself back with OEM rotors, calipers and pads. They are affordable and very effective. It is hard to beat the OEM setup provided the rest of your brake system is in good order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom