80 Series Brake Rotors ? Whats been working for you... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I did a search and didn't find much on this and I want to stay with " Vented " ONLY so NO Cross Drilled or Slotted ( It's not a race car !! ) Mr. T's price is big $$$ but wanted to stay with a quality rotors for sure. Lots of choices Stop Tech , EBC, Centric , Etc.

What's been working for you ?

I think many brands will work fine, and many have opinions. I researched a bunch here and elsewhere and went with Centric Stop Tech, slotted and not drilled. So far so good

I'm like shopping from home. I can hit a button and two days latter what I need is sitting at my back door. I bought this frontand rear kit off of Amazon. $330.
Power Stop K1155 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit
by Power Stop

I replaced the original OEM brakes with 43k on them. The new brakes have substantial more stopping power.

I second the stoptech slotted only. I agree we don't have race cars which is why don't want drilled due to reliability and cracking issues. But the slotted give breaking benefits without the reliability issues

Toyota's are $70 each shipped on ebay.
Not much logic to deviate from that.
I'm running EBC pads but only about 1K on them. So far so good. Some say a slight upgrade from OEM, but I don't push brakes hard.

I had slotted (not drilled) DBA rotors on my 80 and loved 'em. Lasted a long long time... and with OEM 100 series pads, great performing combo. One of the best (only) upgrades I ever did, Highly recommended. Still miss my 80.

Just want to add that IMHO the 80 is a heavy beast and the stock brakes just pale in comparison to upgraded rotors. My 80 was my daily driver family car for more than 10 years, DBA rotors were about 7 or 8 of those.

Last edited:
Toyota's are $70 each shipped on ebay.
Not much logic to deviate from that.
I'm running EBC pads but only about 1K on them. So far so good. Some say a slight upgrade from OEM, but I don't push brakes hard.
X2 on the EBC pads. I installed both front, and rear EBC pads on my truck awhile ago, and so far they are working great with little to no brake dust. I got them from Rock Auto.

I've read a lot about pads over the past few months. It looks like OEM, Stoptech, and DBA seem to be the 3 most commonly recommended.

I'm currently running Stoptechs but have some warping in the front. I'm planning to slap on some cryo-treated DBA slotted rotors while I have it all torn down for a re-gear later this month.

Anybody had a chance to check out the DBA pads that they started selling a couple months back? They claim their XP650 can operate up to 1200F.
DBAUSA | DBA High Performance Brake Pads

Centric Stop Tech slotted, not drilled

I'm on NAPA rotors & EBC pads (you can get 'em @ napa too, semi cheap for green ones & in stock at the dist warehouse, call a day ahead).

My 80 is now a pleasure rig more than a DD. Sorta matters I think.

Oem with autozone gold 100 series pads

Centric are great for the money, I've ran the solid, slotted, cryo on my other vehicles that I tend to push hard even daily driving, and all have worked great. The solid are only 40 on rockauto.com. My cruiser still has OEM as far as I know and I run Hawk severe duty pads in front and LTS rear and it stops great and hasn't warped the rotors. I previously ran Napa rotors on my Camaro and they would warp every 20-30k and lasted a total of 100k miles but we're turned twice. I just dealt with the pulsing so as not to turn them too much but I think the Centric are the way to go.

Pay less than ~$50-75 each and the rotors are likely made in China.

I'm like shopping from home. I can hit a button and two days latter what I need is sitting at my back door. I bought this frontand rear kit off of Amazon. $330.
Power Stop K1155 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit
by Power Stop

I replaced the original OEM brakes with 43k on them. The new brakes have substantial more stopping power.
I know the OP said no drilled/slotted, but FWIW I have ran these for the last 5yrs or so on the 80 and 3yrs on the 4r. No issues here.

Over the years I have run several pad rotor set ups without any earth shattering results. Today I use Toyota rotors and Toyota 80 pads and could not be happier with braking or longevity. If you are not happy with your Toyota OEM braking look past pads and rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom