80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figured I'd post this here. I know it isn't available yet, but thought I'd see what people think.

That one is da bomb!

It’s similar to the Alpina gauge pod that went into BMW E30 dashes in general concept.

2BD9F8F6-1588-4BE0-96BF-341FD8C737A0.jpeg

-That was the one part for my E30M3 I never could lay hands on, and I got all the Sport Evolution parts save a real 2.5 S14 & dogleg trans.

Unfortunately, Fedex did not listen to Dave and delivered the first gauge unit ordered so I received 2. I will likely have an unopened JRP 14-1 Gauge unit to sell. I'm still working on the details with Dave, but I'm trying to do him a solid, as he did for me. Ping me if interested and we can try to work something out :) I purchased the Spartan 2 wideband directly from Spartan since they are located in Canada and price was significantly lower.

Base Pack
Display
OBD2 Cable
What MULTI GAUGE BASE PACK did you order? Can you elaborate what options do 80s owners need on the base pack?

Us non-diesel peasants don't need pyro :(

Disagree - pyro is the quickest catch to see a lean-run / sub stoich burn on either a gas or glowplug turbo - if you lean out, the pyro will rocket pronto.

Pyro is a easy way to monitor your turbo health - sure, quick hits into the higher #’s can be normal, but 1200-1300° is a good range (sensor placement dependant) to know what’s up.

Disagree - pyro is the quickest catch to see a lean-run / sub stoich burn on either a gas or glowplug turbo - if you lean out, the pyro will rocket pronto.
Wideband will tell you quicker. Just sayin :hillbilly:

Agree — If we're trying to monitor fueling conditions, it's more accurate to measure directly (via wideband O2) rather than use a proxy measurement (EGT in this case) wherever possible.

If we had no method to measure directly, proxy measurement is better than nothing.

Just as a point of reference - if I recall correctly, individual pyro sensors per cylinder is the norm for high power (turbo charged) gasoline aircraft engines.
No question - it's(been in the past) the most accurate direct information of combustion status - BUT - it's expensive & high maintenance, so almost unheard of for automobiles.
Aircraft run 75 to 100% rated power for the life of the engine, where practical gas engine road vehicles run more like 10 to 50% most of the time?
Much larger margin for error - non-critical.
Plus - operator expertise would be demanding.

Last edited:
WB is the Belgian waffle of options when we’re just doing the simple ‘flapjacks/no flapjacks‘ - debate of a low rent turbo health -way via pyro.

With the new multi-display ways of doing things - we have the advantage of having both a WB & pyro & not competing for dashboard ‘real estate’.

Going WB is king, but IMO lots of people discount pyro‘s since the advent of WB’s. :meh:

@CJK , @Wompom , @jjdeneen918

For your 14n1 setups, did you all use an adapter for the water temp? If yes, which one did you go with? What diameter?

Also, which oil sandwich plate did you go with? Want to make sure to get the correct thread pitch.

For your 14n1 setups, did you all use an adapter for the water temp? If yes, which one did you go with? What diameter?

Also, which oil sandwich plate did you go with? Want to make sure to get the correct thread pitch.

I did not hook up auxiliary water temp sensor, but you should be able to pull OEM sensor reading from OBDII.

I also considered drilling and tapping, but sorta never bothered.

I didn’t install a sandwich plate for oil pressure, but it should just be same thread diameter and pitch as oil filters

I did not hook up auxiliary water temp sensor, but you should be able to pull OEM sensor reading from OBDII.

I also considered drilling and tapping, but sorta never bothered.

I didn’t install a sandwich plate for oil pressure, but it should just be same thread diameter and pitch as oil filters
Yeah, I also have Bluetooth OBD2 capability through the OBD Fusion app and I can pull Water Temp and a few other things but I’d like to consolidate into a single gauge. I ordered the OBD2 adapter from JRP but it doesn’t work, which is too bad since there’s good info already pulling there.

Edit - nevermind, deleted post. All good.

Last edited:

3/4" -16UNF

I drilled and tapped the water pipe on its flat spot for the water temp sensor.

Us non-diesel peasants don't need pryo :(
Us diesel peasants don't need that either when you're still running an original n/a 1hz after 30 yrs since vehicle was made. Turbo motors are not necessity for life to exist. Some of us prefer the slow lane. ;)

I saw a post from back around 2019 in this thread about Auber LED gauges - I really them as the look 'avionic', and are very nice retro 7-seg LED which is exactly what an 80 series should have. Much like a BTTF GPS speedo unit that I an about to put into my 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom