Events/Trails 80 Rubicon Trail Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A-trac can't compete with true locking differentials.

I never said it could.

In any event real 4WDs have a solid tube at both ends:)

Exactly what A-TRAC does.

Well, kinda, tries? Even with advancing age, don't have as much shakes, can do it smoother than the ECU, and still live under the illusion that I can make better decisions than the ECU! :hillbilly:

A-TRAC is just like all the other fancy add-ons Like adaptive Cruise, collision avoidance, skid control and so-on. They attempt to compensate for unskilled drivers that are busy on their phones......:)

Learn how to 2-pedal and you can solve the majority of the lurching and hard landing0s.

How should this be used for off road driving? I have been using "left foot braking" as we called it since i was 16 and running SCCA. So to me it is a normal way to help control a vehicle smoothly.

On a trail in my 80 i have foumd that left foot on the brake as i power up a obstical can add a lot of control at i clear it and start to drop off the obstical. I figured this was a normal thing everyone does. Is this the right idea?

7000lbs cruiser, I'm assuming that's with your 1000lbs of camping gear ?
7k is easy to reach with an outfitted 80. Both treeroot and i are over the 7k range with our 80s. Iirc, he was close to 7300 in ptarmigan, my old marsallow was a hair over 7200. I havent weighed fat bastard, but i added a heavy rear sway bar and full roof rack

How should this be used for off road driving? I have been using "left foot braking" as we called it since i was 16 and running SCCA. So to me it is a normal way to help control a vehicle smoothly.

On a trail in my 80 i have foumd that left foot on the brake as i power up a obstical can add a lot of control at i clear it and start to drop off the obstical. I figured this was a normal thing everyone does. Is this the right idea?
Correct.

I find it makes a HUGE difference in an 80.

Secondly accept the fact that only the Pope can get through that trail totally clean. No way in Hell would I EVER EVEN THINK of subjecting a nice truck to that trail. I built a "rough" truck up for my wife for this very trail because I was not about to turn my pristine original sheet metal into a raisin.

Hey now, I snuck mine (carefully) through with zero sheet metal dings. I did take out the a/c drier, but that was it. Of course, a month later I picked up a door ding in South Dakota. Whoops.

Either way, I'd add that if you're not used to this type of wheeling the mental strain can overtake you. We ran into a group of JKU's from Tejas that by all means were built up and capable, but the drivers were having a mental breakdown because they thought it would be like Hell's Revenge in Moab. But if you're on the fence...just do it! Probably one of the most fun trails out there, with great camping spots.

My favorite trail hands down. Yeah, the rocks and trees will kiss your rig, but if you're building a glam 80, then why are you wheeling it in places you know will leave their mark?! I know a couple of guys who were with that orange vw bus. The ridicule they received from the online community was pretty rough, I commend them for trying, and succeeding with their adventure. It's all about overcoming the anxiety and taking some risks, which they did, and now they all have stories to tell. Another guy I know had a vw thing on the con Saturday of memorial day weekend 2005, blew a clutch, pulled the engine and did a clutch in just under an hour on the side of the trail. Didn't block anyone, and came prepared.
That doubler is a pipe dream, just run the Marlin gears or trail gears set and be done. It helps a bunch, and as mentioned, it's not a 84627:1 ratio, but it's a big help with getting our fat girls over the obstacles. Last time I went to the Con' I had some damage. Only cost me about a thousand bucks to fix. I learned. I'll be back hopefully next month or so for at least an overnighter. :cheers:
IMG_20160923_161559793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160923_161614934_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160917_070147513.jpg

My favorite trail hands down. Yeah, the rocks and trees will kiss your rig, but if you're building a glam 80, then why are you wheeling it in places you know will leave their mark?! I know a couple of guys who were with that orange vw bus. The ridicule they received from the online community was pretty rough, I commend them for trying, and succeeding with their adventure. It's all about overcoming the anxiety and taking some risks, which they did, and now they all have stories to tell. Another guy I know had a vw thing on the con Saturday of memorial day weekend 2005, blew a clutch, pulled the engine and did a clutch in just under an hour on the side of the trail. Didn't block anyone, and came prepared.
That doubler is a pipe dream, just run the Marlin gears or trail gears set and be done. It helps a bunch, and as mentioned, it's not a 84627:1 ratio, but it's a big help with getting our fat girls over the obstacles. Last time I went to the Con' I had some damage. Only cost me about a thousand bucks to fix. I learned. I'll be back hopefully next month or so for at least an overnighter. :cheers:
View attachment 1522863
View attachment 1522866
View attachment 1522867

Your picture of damage confuses me a little. I thought that if it twisted you would see a "untwisted" area right at the end. I thought that would prevent it from being removed from where it disengages from the diff. Yours looks like it is a little different and would still have slide right oit of the diff.

Your picture of damage confuses me a little. I thought that if it twisted you would see a "untwisted" area right at the end. I thought that would prevent it from being removed from where it disengages from the diff. Yours looks like it is a little different and would still have slide right oit of the diff.
The twisted one in the picture was the driver side, which snapped. The passenger side twisted with the locker not engaged, and created the axle being stuck in the housing. I see what your saying, makes sense.

Only necessary with an auto trans and/or inadequate gearing.
Been doing this for as long as i can remember, Do it my daily driver in parking lot to. In high school one of my Buddy's Dad raced Midget's & sprint cars, learned it from him.

Fun thread, I'm planning on going for the first time next August. I learned to use all three pedals at once wheeling in a carbureted mini truck that stalls whenever the nose is pointed uphill (carb floods). Third leg on the brake pedal :eek: Since I started wheeling in an auto, I rarely use the brake while going, but it's still second nature when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom