77 FJ40 vs 78 350 sbc (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am posting for the first time, but I've been reading the forums for a long time now. Specially the F2 Vs 350 conversions.
I've been wanting to buy a FJ40 for a very long time now and finally I am able to do it. I have 2 that I am looking at. One is a 78 FJ40 with a rebuilt F2 in a very good condition, the other is a 77 FJ40 with a 350 sbc also it looks like in great condition. I've read most of the post regarding F2 vs 350 but man! I am having a hard time deciding. I'll do some light trail riding so I would say that the car is 70% highway and daily driver, 30% trails and nothing heavy. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you

FJ40 350.png

Fj40 F2.png

2F for sure! I would make the decision based on the rest of the truck though. The yellow one could replace the 350 with a 2F and be made sano like the red engine compartment. Whoever paid that much attention to the engine compartment probably did just as good a job on the rest of the red truck.

My personal opinion is go with the FJ40.

And the one with the Toyota engine. There are solid arguments against both engines.

My personal opinion is go with the FJ40.

And the one with the Toyota engine. There are solid arguments against both engines.

Hijack: You couldn't just leave it at; "My personal opinion is go with the FJ40."....now could ya! Shouldn't you be in some remote mountainous place, taking some awesome pics and fishing anyway? -> Hijack over: <-

To the OP:
If you have the opportunity to lay your eyes/hands on each rig, as well as drive them both, then you will know which one to buy.

Best of Luck!

Who will do the maintenance? What is behind each engine? I have a v-8 SBC in mine and am glad I do.

Larry in El Paso

Who will do the maintenance? What is behind each engine? I have a v-8 SBC in mine and am glad I do.

Larry in El Paso

Not me, I can do light maintenance to the car, but that's as much as I know how. I am looking to be as reliable as possible given the year, make and all that goes with a FJ

Hijack: You couldn't just leave it at; "My personal opinion is go with the FJ40."....now could ya! Shouldn't you be in some remote mountainous place, taking some awesome pics and fishing anyway? -> Hijack over: <-

To the OP:
If you have the opportunity to lay your eyes/hands on each rig, as well as drive them both, then you will know which one to buy.

Best of Luck!
I wish I could drive both of them, but unfortunately they are both out of my area so I am doing all this remotely and once I make a decision I'll be going to see and test the car. Then I could change my mind

2F for the win, superior low end chug! Also resale....these things are getting rarer all the time with original drvetrains. It became a legend because of the genious of Toyota matching the torque cutve of the 2F with the gear ratio’s, it just plain works off road.

If possible, I strongly suggest laying your eyes on each rig, or on your FJ40 of choice. Pictures don't tell the whole story, unless you know exactly what you are looking for within them. And then, the picture is only as good as the person taking them.

To the OP:

Best of Luck!

Unfortunately I have to pay the bills sometimes.

Here's some food for thought:

You need to decide what kind of owner you are or are going to be. Are you someone who can't leave well enough alone? Don't like to settle and take what you can get? Are you a purist who is looking for an "original" classic truck to scoot around in on the weekends or do you actually intend to drive it and do things in it?

If you just want a classic to go play around and enjoy, the 2f is going to be your best bet. Original means no thinking when it comes to buying parts, it's a fine engine but it does lack lustre in the performance department. If you plan to drive and USE the truck, go for the 350. Now this is all assuming we are comparing apples to apples with the trucks.

Thanks!, Yes, it is apple to apples. I like the way you simply stated. I am not a purist, but I would prefer the original classic truck. Like I mentioned, I do intend to use it, but compare to most in this forum, my "use" will be very light comparing, so I don't think performance for me is what Im looking for in that regard. I think the idea of a 350 was, the ease of getting parts for it, and also maintenance. But so far it seems that a F2 for my type of use is the way to go
Here's some food for thought:

You need to decide what kind of owner you are or are going to be. Are you someone who can't leave well enough alone? Don't like to settle and take what you can get? Are you a purist who is looking for an "original" classic truck to scoot around in on the weekends or do you actually intend to drive it and do things in it?

If you just want a classic to go play around and enjoy, the 2f is going to be your best bet. Original means no thinking when it comes to buying parts, it's a fine engine but it does lack lustre in the performance department. If you plan to drive and USE the truck, go for the 350. Now this is all assuming we are comparing apples to apples with the trucks.

Thanks!, Yes, it is apple to apples. I like the way you simply stated. I am not a purist, but I would prefer the original classic truck. Like I mentioned, I do intend to use it, but compare to most in this forum, my "use" will be very light comparing, so I don't think performance for me is what Im looking for in that regard. I think the idea of a 350 was, the ease of getting parts for it, and also maintenance. But so far it seems that a F2 for my type of use is the way to go
No matter which you choose, there will be times blasting down a backroad or on the highway where you'll say to yourself, damn I wish I had a little more power....

Whichever makes you happy, that's the one!

Lol! that's the problem they both make me happy!
I guess I am looking for the perfect deciding answer! which I know its not possible, but if I tell you that I am looking for easy maintenance, the less headaches, which of the two F2 vs 350 I understand that with a truck like the FJ I am going to be working on it much more than my F150, but I am also I guess trying to hedge my bets
Whichever makes you happy, that's the one!

Focus more on the bodies of those 40's, turning wrenches and fixing mechanical stuff is simple in comparison to doing ANY body work.

Unless that's what you do.

I don't, The bodies of both look pristine to my eye of course. Here are just 2 photos of each.
Just a hard decision you know, trying to hedge my bets

Focus more on the bodies of those 40's, turning wrenches and fixing mechanical stuff is simple in comparison to doing ANY body work.

Unless that's what you do.

red.png

yellow.png

Personally I will never buy another rig that has been painted, unless they have pics of everything, everything, everything, I want to see bare metal, primer, paint, all of it

I really do understand, I just don't have the time to create another project for myself, that's why Im looking for something that it is hopefully done and somebody put in all the work and hopefully for a good reason are selling it. Work, family and kids takes all my time as it should.

Personally I will never buy another rig that has been painted, unless they have pics of everything, everything, everything, I want to see bare metal, primer, paint, all of it

Work, family and kids takes all my time as it should.

I understand 100%.

Read through my build thread and see what hides under shiny paint. Just be prepared there are a lot of shady resto's out there, people just trying to make a buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom