77 FJ40 vs 78 350 sbc (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm an LS guy and prefer an automatic transmission. My wife's 40 is stock and that's what makes her happy.

Last edited:
What are the odds that both restores would be by someone who doesn’t know which way the bezel mounts. Lol.

as far as looks? I am in on the yellow one. I dig it.

The 350 is better as a highway daily driver to me, but at the end of the day you will realize, no matter what you do, they both are a bad compromise as daily drivers, and when it becomes a driver around town kinda of thing, the oem one will probably be a better value long term. I like both though the power of the 350 and the feel and sound of the Oem.

That is why even fjco, with their abs braking and upgraded steering etc., still consider their restorations "weekend vehicles" according to their website.

I would see if either one has poor body work, as in bondo over rust which will shop up in a year. For a daily driver I would lean to the v8 one, if your just driving it around town a little to get ice cream with the kids I would get the 2f. But I would take both to a reputable land cruiser shop to get a pre purchase inspection.

I'm a V8 fan. I own a couple of them. With that said.... The attention to detail in the engine compartment looks so much better with the red one. It also has a proper 8274 winch. Look at the difference in the fan housings and wiring. The yellow one has fender well headers, which I ran for years. You'll be constantly tightening them up and replacing header gaskets. On harder trails you will bump the mufflers and loosen or bent the headers too. Eventually you'll want ramshorns. It's wiring is all over the place, It could have been finished better. I'm with rkymtnfisher, I'd want to see the b4 pics of paint and body work. Looking at what's in the background of the yellow 1, I would expect him to have b4 pics. If not be careful and look at body repairs closely.

I'm a V8 fan. I own a couple of them. With that said.... The attention to detail in the engine compartment looks so much better with the red one. It also has a proper 8274 winch. Look at the difference in the fan housings and wiring. The yellow one has fender well headers, which I ran for years. You'll be constantly tightening them up and replacing header gaskets. On harder trails you will bump the mufflers and loosen or bent the headers too. Eventually you'll want ramshorns. It's wiring is all over the place, It could have been finished better. I'm with rkymtnfisher, I'd want to see the b4 pics of paint and body work. Looking at what's in the background of the yellow 1, I would expect him to have b4 pics. If not be careful and look at body repairs closely.
Thanks for the info, one thing I noticed about the yellow one are the wires looked to be all over the place which worries me. I have been able to get more info on the red one than the yellow and trying to send somebody to inspect the car.

I understand 100%.

Read through my build thread and see what hides under shiny paint. Just be prepared there are a lot of shady resto's out there, people just trying to make a buck.
What Ryan said. Unless it is a fully documented frame off nut and bolt, there WILL be plenty of WORK. Not everyone has time for what MOST of these rigs require. Know that going in. I am single, I own two but they occupy most of my free time. If I was married with kids I would not own even one. Just being honest. They require time, money and energy. All three if you want a nice one. Good luck with your decision and more pics!!

Can you point to what you are looking at? Not sure what you mean.
Thanks

It was just a joke but this part
Capture.JPG

What Ryan said. Unless it is a fully documented frame off nut and bolt, there WILL be plenty of WORK. Not everyone has time for what MOST of these rigs require. Know that going in. I am single, I own two but they occupy most of my free time. If I was married with kids I would not own even one. Just being honest. They require time, money and energy. All three if you want a nice one. Good luck with your decision and more pics!!
Im willing to put the time and energy, what Im trying to deduct with my first purchase of one, is money! I know that they are a lot of work to own, I just want to be able to make the best rational decision on one, that at least in the short run after buying, will cost very little. I know that in the future it will add up, just hoping that my first purchase is the right one

Im willing to put the time and energy, what Im trying to deduct with my first purchase of one, is money! I know that they are a lot of work to own, I just want to be able to make the best rational decision on one, that at least in the short run after buying, will cost very little. I know that in the future it will add up, just hoping that my first purchase is the right one
I am biased as I own a pretty original ‘78. Down the road the more original (drivetrain) will be worth more. Many also consider the ‘78 the best year. However the the longer you own them the more you appreciate originality and how utility/purpose built these rigs were. There is VERY little out there today that is as close to purpose built than a FJ40 was. Realize these are the words of a purist though...

I am biased as I own a pretty original ‘78. Down the road the more original (drivetrain) will be worth more. Many also consider the ‘78 the best year. However the the longer you own them the more you appreciate originality and how utility/purpose built these rigs were. There is VERY little out there today that is as close to purpose built than a FJ40 was. Realize these are the words of a purist though...
I appreciate your thoughts!

Totally agree with the above but once I got mined dialed in/running well (couple of years but fun) it has turned out to a very reliable min maintenance vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom