Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

search amazon for borescope (then whatever format you want)

you can get USB like mine, or one that plugs into your iphone or android phone.

make sure whatever you get has a light that is adjustable.

here is something like what I have..... very handy at times.

Amazon product ASIN B06WRNGYXY

That sucks, but isn’t surprising. Those “freeze” plugs aren’t for freeze protection, they are just core plugs to fill the holes left from the sand casting process.

A side benefit is they can pop of if frozen. 😁 which a block full of water was enough to crack the head maybe more.

While you’re in there...I just went through that although mine wasn’t abused at all.

Is a 1Fz-FE head similar enough to make work and block extra things?

Did you already share what you paid for this truck? I really hope it wasn't much. It will be sweet when you;re done though!

I’d be checking to see if the carb’d intake fits the efi head. If it does you can still keep it simple for now and go back injected later if you decide too.

Where did the truck come from? I just bought a 75 series in africa and I'll tell you what, more surprises than you can shake a stick at. I feel your pain.
But with all the shade tree mechanic fixes, improvising etc. It shows how tough Toyotas are.

@cjmoon you had the same idea that @tornadoalleycruiser had. See if the head can be swapped onto this block from a fuel injected engine.

Differences that I have though of so far... the carb version has a fuel pump that runs off an additional lobe on the driver side cam, through a hole we don't have. would have to put an electric fuel pump in, and maybe some pressure relief setup. The emission stuff would need a block off plate, but that is easy. I am going to pull the head tomorrow and compare them closely.

options that I am considering in current order...

1fz fe head on carb block.

1fz FE engine - who knows what computer I need to find to work right? Anyone out there do this? I know that FJ Restoration company puts this combination in their rigs....

SBC with advance adapters to r151 tranny (currently in car - unknown condition)

1hz engine/h55 from Joe. (lowest due to cost)

@Delancy answered some of my questions on another thread.

If memory serves, a 1FZ-F Head (carb’d, not EFI) that’s most likely non-hardened valve seats and low(er) compression variant, most likely in the combustion chamber, for low octane markets.

Yes, there’s a block off plate available to de-carb and yes, valve seats could be hardened, but inconclusive as to whether or not compression could be increased by simply shaving head. Appeared similar differences in the dome, in the same way the South African 2F heads ‘look’ different than other markets.

Did you already share what you paid for this truck? I really hope it wasn't much. It will be sweet when you;re done though!

You get what you pay for.... To be clear (in case prior owner is watching) I am not upset -- expected to be at this point.

Where did the truck come from? I just bought a 75 series in africa and I'll tell you what, more surprises than you can shake a stick at. I feel your pain.
But with all the shade tree mechanic fixes, improvising etc. It shows how tough Toyotas are.

This is a Venezula spec truck that I am assuming lived its life there. I got some title papers and pretty sure they said it was imorted from VZ. For a little history lesson, my understanding is that Toyota put all the parts in a big box, shipped them to VZ and they were assembled there. Complete Knock-Down *(CKD) Kits: basically a Land Cruiser in a box to be assembled elsewhere. They did not come with rear axles, so those had to be sourced in VZ, and that is why mine has a DANA 60 rear axle with Toyota outers (drums). Great thead to read if you are board:

You get what you pay for.... To be clear (in case prior owner is watching) I am not upset -- expected to be at this point.

This is a Venezula spec truck that I am assuming lived its life there. I got some title papers and pretty sure they said it was imorted from VZ. For a little history lesson, my understanding is that Toyota put all the parts in a big box, shipped them to VZ and they were assembled there. Complete Knock-Down *(CKD) Kits: basically a Land Cruiser in a box to be assembled elsewhere. They did not come with rear axles, so those had to be sourced in VZ, and that is why mine has a DANA 60 rear axle with Toyota outers (drums). Great thead to read if you are board:

It’s data like this that gets lost. Good find.

Any thoughts of finding a donor 80 and swapping the body over?

Any thoughts of finding a donor 80 and swapping the body over?

If it weren't for my bad throwing arm, I could hit 2 of them from my shop.

Not the direction I want to go.

Pretty sure you have an H151 not an r151.

Cheers

remind me how to identify... i have a feeling a rebuild kit will be in my future.

Since this project is becoming more long-term, need to get the axles put back together so it is a roller and my lift is available to friends. First step is to pressure wash the snot out of the front axle.... which revealed some exposed metal and rust, as well as an elongated spring centering whole pin hole. I’ll weld that hole to the correct size using a copper bolt and then Sandblast the balls tomorrow to start the JB Weld fix. After that is done, Sandblast rest of it and paint it with Epoxy and then blitz black. I need to figure out if The 60 series hub is the same as the 70, then get some money to @joekatana - Who is a wealth of information and been wonderful to communicate with!!!
62F0B004-CFC7-43EE-A622-93FC8309C32D.jpeg
3DAB7EAE-C813-45C7-AFFE-8BF54707AA64.jpeg

1hz engine. (lowest due to cost)

By far the most logical consideration, period.

Having not read thread, assuming an FZJ75 with H150F/HF1A, a very good combination, for all but low gear options.

Multiple HD/HZ bells and flywheels available in classifieds now, no need to rework and mounts/crossmember, literally plug and play.

If you get bored with HZ down the road, turbo it......

I don’t think the engine computer would care that the trans is not there. I ran it the other way without affect. Even though it’s one computer they really function separate from each other. If you unplug the trans completely you will only get 2 gears manually shifting but engine works just fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom