6bt cummins NV4500 1996 LX450 swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the rumble your truck makes. I've got the same engine and transmission in mine, but yours sounds a little... meaner, somehow. I'm guessing it's a combination of exhaust and maybe the snorkel? I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and down, too.

*blapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblap*

:cheers:

I love the rumble your truck makes. I've got the same engine and transmission in mine, but yours sounds a little... meaner, somehow. I'm guessing it's a combination of exhaust and maybe the snorkel? I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and down, too.

*blapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblapblap*

:cheers:
Thank you, Sir! Here's several photos of my exhaust and air intake. I'm running a 3 inch exhaust with a small muffler. For now, I have a KN cone filter and my snorkel is not hooked up. The snorkel has a 3 inch intake and my turbo is 4 inch. I'm planning to build a new snorkel with a 4 inch intake out of carbon fiber along with an air box to use the stock Dodge air filter. I think I removed the ring in the turbo to make it louder.

I also need to adjust my valve lash. I don't know if that might contribute to the sound as well.

Photo Jan 17 2024, 4 11 48 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 17 2024, 4 12 02 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 17 2024, 4 12 10 PM.jpg

Is the carbon fiber snorkel to offset the weight gain from the motor? That'll be pretty trick when you get it plumbed up - I hope you leave it raw carbon rather than paint it.

Thanks for the details about your rig. I'm running an airbox and a K&N air filter, stock for a 1995 Dodge, I think. It also looks like I've got an identical 3" exhaust and smaller muffler like yours. Having just spent some time in Costa Rica where everybody drives some flavor of forbidden fruit, snorkel-having Toyota, Nissan or Suzuki, I've decided it's time to install a snorkel on mine... but I need to figure out whether a stock ARB/Dobinsons unit will work or whether (like everything else on this truck) it's got to be custom somehow.

IMG_7191.jpg

Is the carbon fiber snorkel to offset the weight gain from the motor? That'll be pretty trick when you get it plumbed up - I hope you leave it raw carbon rather than paint it.

Thanks for the details about your rig. I'm running an airbox and a K&N air filter, stock for a 1995 Dodge, I think. It also looks like I've got an identical 3" exhaust and smaller muffler like yours. Having just spent some time in Costa Rica where everybody drives some flavor of forbidden fruit, snorkel-having Toyota, Nissan or Suzuki, I've decided it's time to install a snorkel on mine... but I need to figure out whether a stock ARB/Dobinsons unit will work or whether (like everything else on this truck) it's got to be custom somehow.

I decided to try carbon fiber after seeing this thread. DIY Homemade Carbon Fiber Snorkel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-homemade-carbon-fiber-snorkel.485105/

I've bought several used books off amazon regarding carbon fiber. After researching, it looks like I can make my own custom intercooler pipes and air box components as well.

I've not found a stock ARB/Dobinsons snorkel with a 4 inch intake. If you happen to find one, please share because I don't mind purchasing one.

IMG_4602.jpeg

At first I used the AC line adapter on the condenser intake connection but there was clearance issues with the lower grill valance as seen below. The elbow on the AC fitting caused the issue.

IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4272.jpg

After remembering that @Will Van told me to modify that line, I had the AC shop modify my OEM line as seen below.

2023-12-21 14.24.37.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for some advise on chasing down an interior light wiring issue.
  1. The door courtesy light (rear LH) isn't working. I checked for a current and had no power at the light plug nor power at plug BN2 located in the center pillar above the seat belt. Not sure where to check next. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Rear interior light only comes on when I manual switch it on. The door switches aren't causing it to work when switched to "door". Did verify the door switches are working.

Interior light diagram.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 193336.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom