LX450 Rebuild Estimate or Sequoia swap? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. 1996 model LX450 ‘slung a rod’ several years ago at 275k miles. I bought at 70k from a rich dude, it literally looked brand new. The next 200k miles, all oil changes etc and only 93 octane. This vehicle has literally never been off road (sorry to disappoint everyone, just not my thing 😎).
For this reason, I want to have it rebuilt, because I know the history of this particular engine, and believe if it’s cracked open and repaired, it will have many miles left.

What price range should I expect someone to charge to fix this engine? Location is Tuscaloosa AL.

2. If I determine this is too expensive, is a 1st generation Sequoia engine a possible replacement? I have a 2004 and like the V8 power. Sequoias are for sale everywhere on FB and getting an engine at a decent price seems pretty easy.

3. If a 1st generation Sequoia is not an option, are there other Toyota V8’s or other foreign V8’s that fit?

4. If the answer is no to the first three questions, then I guess I’ll begin the search for an 80 series replacement engine.

Thanks in advance.

< Please resist the temptation to type out the phrase *LS Swap*. I understand that that this is the generally presumptive response. At this time, I’m just not interested, and will post a completely different thread on that topic if I change my mind. >

Sounds to me like it isn't broken. Why "fix" it?

That is unless the engine has failed. You didn't mention any issues.

What part of ‘slung a rod’ did you not get? 😆 You’d be the first person to say this is a minor fix, but it would be great if that’s the case!

What part of ‘slung a rod’ did you not get? 😆 You’d be the first person to say this is a minor fix, but it would be great if that’s the case!

I missed that very short but key bit of information. Sorry about that. My cataract is kicking up.

I'd budget 10 to 15 thousand dollars to have a new short block built up and installed.

Edit: You could also look around for a used engine and put that in. I'd guess R&R labor at around 2 thousand dollars, plus whatever you can get the used engine for.

Last edited:
The swaps are all relatively involved in one area or another. That's not from first hand experience but from research and watching a few friends work through swaps. A swap, while doable is typically going to require more $$ and/or involvement to get to the point where it's settled in and working great.

Can't really help you on price... I know labor is a bit different in Alabama, but I don't have a lot of experience in that neighborhood: I don't really care for the weather! Also, it's going to depend heavily on whether you're just dropping the truck off at a shop, or just having machine work done, or somewhere in between.

The 2UZ (Sequoia / Tundra) swap is a thing and if you search 2UZ, you will find a couple of threads.

I'm with you on avoiding LS swaps. They're excellent motors and if I needed something to drop in an older hot-rod for a resto-mod of some kind, or was building a drag car or even just a wheeler project out of something other than a Toyota, I'd probably recommend it. I'm not even a rabid "OEM ONLY!" type of guy, but I prefer to keep the heart and soul of my Toyota built by Toyota.

I missed that very short but key bit of information. Sorry about that. My cataract is kicking up.

I'd budget 10 to 15 thousand dollars to have a new short block built up and installed.

Edit: You could also look around for a used engine and put that in. I'd guess R&R labor at around 2 thousand dollars, plus whatever you can get the used engine for.
Thanks bud! You were supposed to tell me that slinging a rod is an easy $500 fix ha. So you estimate about $2k to have my engine rebuilt? Again, I know its history so I’d like to keep it.

1fz short blocks are available but that doesn't cover all the other parts you would want new at the same time. You just need to pick one route and stick with it to the end.

Thanks bud! You were supposed to tell me that slinging a rod is an easy $500 fix ha. So you estimate about $2k to have my engine rebuilt? Again, I know its history so I’d like to keep it.

I said that the labor to install a used engine (plus whatever that engine costs you to buy) would probably run around $2,000.00.

It appears that both of us are having difficulty reading today. :doh:

Come on over to the darkside

20240203_182245.jpg

Reading and writing comprehension is sorely lacking in this thread!

If you found a bargain on a used engine, and swapped it yourself, you might get away with $2k all in. (Garanteed you'll need various small parts while you're in there).

If you can't do that, start multiplying that number, or add zeros

To buy a new short block from toyota, and add gaskets, labour miscellaneous parts, broken sensors and harness connectors, head repairs, etc etc you're looking at $10k+

A swap to an engine that was never used in the vehicle you have is not likely to be any cheaper.

That's not what he said at all.
Yea, you’re right. I think he was referring to something else. But still wondering the price range to have my engine pulled, repaired & reinstalled. Or maybe the price range is too large to be helpful.

If you found a bargain on a used engine, and swapped it yourself, you might get away with $2k all in. (Garanteed you'll need various small parts while you're in there).

To buy a new short block from toyota, and add gaskets, labour miscellaneous parts, broken sensors and harness connectors, head repairs, etc etc you're looking at $10k+

A swap to an engine that was never used in the vehicle you have is not likely to be any cheaper.
All true.

Yea, you’re right. I think he was referring to something else. But still wondering the price range to have my engine pulled, repaired & reinstalled. Or maybe the price range is too large to be helpful.

As I said in post #4 above, I'd budget 10 to 15 thousand dollars to have a new short block built up and installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom