68 FJ40 Bumper Stencil ID (Possible Mexico Gov't or Military history?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Just purchased this basket case locally. 1968 clear title & frame with 76 drive train. The PO said he thinks it came from Mexico or similar area....possible state, govt owned, or military owned with that stencil painted ID on the front bumper. Has anyone seen anything like this painted ID before? If this was a Mexico rig, are there any other things to look for that would help identify that? It does have a blower motor so probably not S.A.

1588786730160 (2).JPEG

1588786731467 (2).JPEG

Resized952020043095165821.jpg

Last edited:
I love the windshield.o_O

I highly doubt it came from south of the border, Mexico and Toyota didn't see eye to eye in the early years and I don't think much got imported directly to Mexico.
data plate would not be in English
it has a heater
the stencil is not centered and the original color of the bumper would have been silver/grey
my WAG is someone just painted that on there for no rhyme or reason

I highly doubt it came from south of the border, Mexico and Toyota didn't see eye to eye in the early years and I don't think much got imported directly to Mexico.
data plate would not be in English
it has a heater
the stencil is not centered and the original color of the bumper would have been silver/grey
my WAG is someone just painted that on there for no rhyme or reason
Thanks for your input! Maybe I can do a title search, see where that road goes.

Looks like someone put on a Weber carburetor, then was dumb enough to leave all the remaining make-pretend excess baggage smog device intact ???

PO making the rare claim to boost its value ... not Mexico military

They started importing CKD to Reo-Mexico where they assembled starting in 61’ ended in March 64’

They had a relatively not happy withdrawal from Mexico because of tax, nationalization laws and political nonsense

Toyota would not deal with Mexico again till 2002?

Anything Toyota was brought in from other areas mainly USA

They did not part on good terms :meh:

PO making the rare claim to boost its value ... not Mexico military

They started importing CKD to Reo-Mexico where they assembled starting in 61’ ended in March 64’

They had a relatively not happy withdrawal from Mexico because of tax, nationalization laws and political nonsense

Toyota would not deal with Mexico again till 2002?

Anything Toyota was brought in from other areas mainly USA

They did not part on good terms :meh:
Good info, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks for sharing.
@JohnnyC I put no extra value on the military claim and based my offer on the usable parts exclusively. The PO was very easy to deal with and was a pleasure to meet. I was intrigued by his retirement activity of creating yard art from scrap metal and a very creative mind!

No front license plate so off road only in your state? Maybe from a fleet of off road rental trucks for "outback" hunting/fishing?

I love the windshield.o_O
Yeah, that was a first for me :dead:

First for a windshield or for a top cap smashed that bad. Can tell the hood has flow up and hit it in the past. Here is my 73 I just uncovered. Can see some time in the past the same thing happened to it. It had a hard top on it when I bought which saved the windshield frame.
IMG_20200505_165617064_HDR.jpg

Thanks for your input! Maybe I can do a title search, see where that road goes.

I know in Arizona would be hard to get anywhere with a title search if the title been transfer more than once or twice. Without a title number would be impossible with the early VIN shorter than seventeen digits.

No front license plate so off road only in your state? Maybe from a fleet of off road rental trucks for "outback" hunting/fishing?

How many states still require a front license plate? Arizona doesn't, in fact can run what ever plate you want in the front. ARB bull bars just naturally need a Australian plate.

In WI a front licence plate is "required" but not enforced. Only used as a "tool" to pull people over and see what other violations can be found. If they can't find any, there is at least one overly-sensitive ****o here in town that will just make something up. Unfortunately I have firsthand knowledge of this. Got to be STAS (small tool anger syndrome)

I grew up in Iowa and drove a good bit in IA, NE, and IL. The cops there are militant about every little thing, especially speeding. I've lived in NC for nearly 20 yrs and am quite happy with the police focusing on real crime.

How many states still require a front license plate? Arizona doesn't, in fact can run what ever plate you want in the front. ARB bull bars just naturally need a Australian plate.
[/QUOTE]

When I was stationed in Gila Bend, I didn't run a front license plate because it was constantly getting bent. One of the base security police gave me a ticket...one week before the new law deleting the requirement.:(

@JohnnyC I put no extra value on the military claim and based my offer on the usable parts exclusively. The PO was very easy to deal with and was a pleasure to meet. I was intrigued by his retirement activity of creating yard art from scrap metal and a very creative mind!

Any chance the PO is from Rapid River, Michigan ? I know a artist there that creates some amazing work.

Any chance the PO is from Rapid River, Michigan ? I know a artist there that creates some amazing work.
No, just another WI cheesehead like me ;)

The whole specialty plate has gotten out of hand, at least in AZ. Few years back it became law you can not cover your license plate. I still see the plastic covers faded to where you can't read the plate. Remember when they first came out these have horizon lines in them so you couldn't rear them from above where the red line runner cameras are mounted. Even faded to the point you can't read them straight on they still get away with them. We also have a law that oversize tires on trucks require mudflaps. Still see plenty of lifted trucks with aftermarket rims where the tires are outside the body. AZ is the capital for broken windshields.

No, just another WI cheesehead like me ;)

Former cheesehead. Born in town that why there are cheeseheads. Can't say I miss the winters.

The whole specialty plate has gotten out of hand, at least in AZ. Few years back it became law you can not cover your license plate. I still see the plastic covers faded to where you can't read the plate. Remember when they first came out these have horizon lines in them so you couldn't rear them from above where the red line runner cameras are mounted. Even faded to the point you can't read them straight on they still get away with them. We also have a law that oversize tires on trucks require mudflaps. Still see plenty of lifted trucks with aftermarket rims where the tires are outside the body. AZ is the capital for broken windshields.

Former cheesehead. Born in town that why there are cheeseheads. Can't say I miss the winters.
I can't say I miss the winters either, seems like they never completely leave :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom