'67 hole under front of hood (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure why I haven't asked this question (or figured it out for myself), but what's this hole for? My rig was almost 100% intact original when I got her (actually, 'him'- "Uncle Chris" is it's name), and there wasn't anything related to this hole, no added hood release mechanism. The hood support rod really doesn't fit into it- too far off to the side to be designed that way.
By the way, where is the hood support rod supposed to go? I rest mine at the back edge of the radiator, but that doesn't seem intended.
Thanks

IMG_2128.JPG

Last edited:
That is the hood support rod hole. Not a great design, doesn‘t leave much access room, that’s why my hood spears have marks on them (from the roof channel) 😳

That is the hood support rod hole. Not a great design, doesn‘t leave much access room, that’s why my hood spears have marks on them (from the roof channel) 😳
My spear is also dented. From people resting the hood on the windshield frame its whole life. hahaha. That is definitely the hole for the support rod though. As @middlecalf stated, it really has the hood down low.

Yeah, the hood's too low. I like what this guy did- made a little place on the thermostat housing... I was thinking on the front valve cover nut.
View attachment 3049039
Yeah something that the rod could slide into securely would be a good idea. That rod looks like its juuuuust sitting inside the recessed OEM bolt head?

Yeah, the hood's too low. I like what this guy did- made a little place on the thermostat housing... I was thinking on the front valve cover nut.
View attachment 3049039

it's a good thing you opted for the KUSTOM T-Stat Housing thing you SKUNK-WORK'S'd up ?

now you can focus on these :

1656892344361.png

1656892382092.png

1656892440238.png

you just might be a SEMA-Spec. Chrome fellow perhaps ?

1656892547311.png

1656892569225.png

View attachment 3049039
Exactly what I do to get more room, a bit sketchy but I haven't dropped it on my head yet.

I just use one of these on the top 63118-90300. Then use the rod on hood to gently rest the hood against the top. Just be sure it's not windy day. But that holds true for the rod holding the hood open in any location.

That rubber pad ( 63119-90300) has only been on one top I've owned. That was the top off a 73 I bought in 1976. I've seen the chrome rubbed (not dented) off from resting on the steel gutter on the top. Haven't figured what the hood spears were made out of in what years. Had worn chrome look like brass showing. I also have spears that are magnetic and some that aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom