60 Series Axle swap with the Trail Tailor Coil Conversion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@dbbowen What would you say is the most difficult technical part of converting to the 80 front axle onto a 60?
I feel like the kit takes all the technical stuff out of it. Especially in the front. You cut off the old stuff and getting the truck jacked up in a way that lets you get the axles in and out without a lift I think are going to be the most difficult part I think. The brackets seem to all be keyed to locations on the frame based on existing bolt holes and things like that. Welding laying down on the floor sucks and grinding the frame coating off sucks too but after welding it should be a bolt in deal I think. Plumb bob the axle left to right for panhard and do the brakes. The rear looks significantly harder

I'd love to have this setup.....I think.
Has to be less grinding than the 80 rear conversion to leaf springs, more welding is good IMO, but I agree about on the floor or overhead.
THanks!

I'd love to have this setup.....I think.
Has to be less grinding than the 80 rear conversion to leaf springs, more welding is good IMO, but I agree about on the floor or overhead.
THanks!
Sure thing! Another option is the TT coil kit for the front and some longer leaf springs like ford 57 inch springs or Chevy 63 inch springs for the rear. Would flex crazy good and be super soft.

I went back and forth a lot on the rear to be honest. Leafs or coils and I went coils just to have the complete kit to be honest.

Not to go off topic on this thread even more. I just wanted to put a HUGE thank you to @TRAIL TAILOR for helping us out this weekend. We were driving my wifes 100 series from portland down to california and the driver side front diff oil seal gave out. Drove on an empty diff for a few hours before it let us know it was empty. Entire underside of truck is covered in gear oil. $1,400 tow From Mt Shasta back up to Portland :/. Had to get a rental car to drive back with the baby.

This Monday Jason let me know he had a take out third member from a 100 series SAS that he did in the past and mailed it out. It got here on Wednesday.

Ordered all new seals for it and some misc items from @cruiseroutfit and new wheel bearings from @orangefj45 and they were here on Thursday.

Wife drove the truck to work this morning on friday. Cant thank yall enough for the help/support. The old diff sounds like gravel when you spin the pinion

I tell ya right now, breaking down on i5 with a 1 year old suuucks. The 60 series would have been fine and we were planning on taking it for this trip but my radiator is leaking. Replacement will be here today. When it rains it pours i guess

4ZU3VKYh.jpg

Last edited:
Not to go off topic on this thread even more. I just wanted to put a HUGE thank you to @TRAIL TAILOR for helping us out this weekend. We were driving my wifes 100 series from portland down to california and the driver side front diff oil seal gave out. Drove on an empty diff for a few hours before it let us know it was empty. Entire underside of truck is covered in gear oil. $1,400 tow From Mt Shasta back up to Portland :/. Had to get a rental car to drive back with the baby.

This Monday Jason let me know he had a take out third member from a 100 series SAS that he did in the past and mailed it out. It got here on Wednesday.

Ordered all new seals for it and some misc items from @cruiseroutfit and new wheel bearings from @orangefj45 and they were here on Thursday.

Wife drove the truck to work this morning. Cant thank yall enough for the help/support. The old diff sounds like gravel when you spin the pinion

I tell ya right now, breaking down on i5 with a 1 year old suuucks. The 60 series would have been fine and we were planning on taking it for this trip but my radiator is leaking. Replacement will be here today. When it rains it pours i guess

4ZU3VKYh.jpg

#teameffort

Glad we could help!

What are you doing about a gas tank?

I’ve actually got a warranty replacement gas tank. It’s only like a year old so I’m just going to drop an intank pump in it while it’s out. I’ve got the reverse turtle carry on the fuel tanks down pretty well at this point

You're not gonna deadlift and farmer carry the axles around?
Hahaha I can dead lift each side about 3 inches off the ground before my fingers give up. I got some of those wood square furniture dolly’s from HF with caster wheels on them. They’re working pretty well so far. Use the jack on one side and slide it under. I was originally using 2 skateboards but they wouldn’t turn

IMG_6562.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom