60 Series Axle swap with the Trail Tailor Coil Conversion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dont really have a build thread for my truck or anything, but made this thread so im not just spaming the "what did you do with your 60 this weekend" thread.

This will just be stuff for my @TRAIL TAILOR coil conversion done in my garage at my house. Photos, questions, etc. Thought it would be neat to put them here.

Right now im building my axles. They are from a wrecked 94 Land cruiser. Theyll be getting the nice acronyms. ARBs, RCVs, ARPs. The original plan was to epoxy prime them but Its winter time and you cant spray SPI Expoxy under 65 degrees so im just going with tractor paint. These axles came with me to Oregon from Tennessee on the shipping truck with our household goods. The movers said that they had never shipped axles before. Here they are in Tennessee. They also shipped all the steering, the drive shafts, and a few other misc parts from the 80. Ive seemed to have lost the front swaybar along the way, so will need to probably source another one

lxXbBOFh.jpg

Starting with the rear axle, this is where im at currently.

SHArk7Jh.jpg

To do on the rear axle:
-clean gunk out of inside of axle and the axle tubes
-wire wheel all of teh outside because theres no way its fitting in my sand blaster
- cut off other spring bucket
-weld on new spring buckets
-prime and paint housing
- install new brakes and wheel bearings
-reinstall diff
-build new brake hard line to match up with the fj60 body brake soft line

To do on front axle:

all of that stuff over again

Progress is a little slow going because I cant really bang on stuff in my garage after 7pm because my 1 year old might wake up

One spring bucket off, and some wire wheeling done. I got rained on outside so had to stop

uEGgz8rh.jpg

New Coil buckets.

TmAJZpzh.jpg

The rear diff on the way to my diff guy to get some much needed love. Keeping the 4.10 factory gears. This is actually a regear for me as im on 3.73s in the 60 axles. I think the 4.10s will be perfect for the 5.3 and the 34s on the truck.

b4xK65Qh.jpg

Once the swap is done, planning on tossing these fenders on to take up the additional width of the 80 series axles to keep it looking pretty factory.

uXZUNgf.jpg

Last edited:
👀 I’m afraid I’m going to rack up some debt by following your truck to closely.

Hah! This is my daily driver and i dont have a second car anymore. Instead of having a car note on a newer car im just building this one for family adventures and what not.

Can you throw on something like an 80 Dobinsons lift at the same time?
My goal is to keep this as low as i possibly can to still be able to park in my garage. Im using OME 2861 and 2862 "stock height" springs from OME. For the shocks im using Dobinsons MRA!

Can I ask about that front bumper? Is that a one off or can you buy that?
Its from @TRAIL TAILOR. Theyre pretty customizable. Ive seeen him make them with fog lights in the bumper, hoops similar to an ARB bumper, etc. They have the standard warn winch bolt profile. It adjusts in and out quite a bit. I like the small 8K winches for the low profile but with the adjustability im sure it could fit a larger winch. I think he uses come up winches in them

Hah! This is my daily driver and i dont have a second car anymore. Instead of having a car note on a newer car im just building this one for family adventures and what not.

My goal is to keep this as low as i possibly can to still be able to park in my garage. Im using OME 2861 and 2862 "stock height" springs from OME. For the shocks im using Dobinsons MRA!

Its from @TRAIL TAILOR. Theyre pretty customizable. Ive seeen him make them with fog lights in the bumper, hoops similar to an ARB bumper, etc. They have the standard warn winch bolt profile. It adjusts in and out quite a bit. I like the small 8K winches for the low profile but with the adjustability im sure it could fit a larger winch. I think he uses come up winches in them
I’m in the same boat, I really like how @TRAIL TAILOR keeps his rigs low and big tires. I’m debating on coil swap or leave leafs…..

I’m in the same boat, I really like how @TRAIL TAILOR keeps his rigs low and big tires. I’m debating on coil swap or leave leafs…..
Im really into the coils mainly for the ride comfort. Hoping to run the shocks high speed compression pretty open to try and get a softer ride for my wife and daughter.

I know that on my 60 with 80 axles and stock height springs I got like a 2" Lift equivalent. Enough for me and the stance I was after.
Your going to love driving it everyday with that setup.

Something im not really sure on is one of my knuckle castings cracked at the steering stop. The little ear that holds the steering stop completely broke off. The truck was in a wreck and put a lot of force into the steering stop. Going to try and heat this with a torch and Tig the steering stop back on. hoping it holds. Im assuming that i can do it with some ER70-6 rod but ive got 308L as well. Need to do a little more research on this. It seems to be low carbon cast steel so in theory it should weld

The steering arms themselves are completely bent from the impact, but replacing them with the Marlin Crawler DOM 80 steering arm upgrade with new TREs

fRu8InJh.jpg

I know that on my 60 with 80 axles and stock height springs I got like a 2" Lift equivalent. Enough for me and the stance I was after.
Your going to love driving it everyday with that setup.
Jason was really awesome when i ordered i basically sent him pics of my truck how it is now and was like I want it to look like this and these are the springs he suggested. Im super pumped on this project!

Are you doing rear coils too? I want simple and went with leaf springs in rear. I super happy I went that way. I already have an 80 so u know how they both ride.

Something im not really sure on is one of my knuckle castings cracked at the steering stop. The little ear that holds the steering stop completely broke off. The truck was in a wreck and put a lot of force into the steering stop. Going to try and heat this with a torch and Tig the steering stop back on. hoping it holds. Im assuming that i can do it with some ER70-6 rod but ive got 308L as well. Need to do a little more research on this. It seems to be low carbon cast steel so in theory it should weld

The steering arms themselves are completely bent from the impact, but replacing them with the Marlin Crawler DOM 80 steering arm upgrade with new TREs

fRu8InJh.jpg
I may have a lead on a good one of these. Driver side?

Are you doing rear coils too? I want simple and went with leaf springs in rear. I super happy I went that way. I already have an 80 so u know how they both ride.

Im doing the rear as well. I figured if i was going to do it, i might as well do all of it. I used to have an 80 series and i really liked how it felt driving. I just hated the interior and the late 1980s toyotas just hit the sweet spot for me on exterior styling and interior. Before switching to land cruisers i had a few mini trucks and a firstgen 4runner that i did a similar axle swap on.

Ironically, i tried to get another firstgen 4runner to replace my old one but my wife wanted rear doors, so i got this 60 series that was the exact same year and color as my old 4runner

iNspI55h.jpg

I may have a lead on a good one of these. Driver side?

Yep! drivers side! Any chance they have a front sway bar and the littel cone rubber things that go inside of the coil springs on the rear? haha

Im doing the rear as well. I figured if i was going to do it, i might as well do all of it. I used to have an 80 series and i really liked how it felt driving. I just hated the interior and the late 1980s toyotas just hit the sweet spot for me on exterior styling and interior. Before switching to land cruisers i had a few mini trucks and a firstgen 4runner that i did a similar axle swap on.

Ironically, i tried to get another firstgen 4runner to replace my old one but my wife wanted rear doors, so i got this 60 series that was the exact same year and color as my old 4runner

iNspI55h.jpg

Yep! drivers side! Any chance they have a front sway bar and the littel cone rubber things that go inside of the coil springs on the rear? haha
Sweet looking rig. The older that I get, the less I want to jump In a car. Pretty much the reason I stayed with 33" tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom