Builds 400HP Turbo 80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nexgencontractors.com
Started the tear down of the 1fz tonight. Looking at 400+ hp at the crank to start but setting up the lower end and head to accept 600-700 in the future.

My initial thoughts are new clevite bearing, Hastings rings, cometic hg, ARP studs, Ferrea dual spring valve train and possibly .020 over bore JE pistons and Ibeam rods but still debating between that and stock pistons and rods.

Management system will be Haltech Elite 750, Toyota 540cc injectors and Oem regulator.

Awaiting the bolt on turbo kit from @scottryana after the motor is broken in.

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

Sounds good, I don't think I'd even consider stock pistons if you have 600+hp aspirations for the future.

Sounds good, I don't think I'd even consider stock pistons if you have 600+hp aspirations for the future.
I have been getting good feedback saying the stock lower can handle 600-700 and 20-22psi boost no problem so I think I am in agreement that with all fresh lower gear i should be fine.

Reactions: MoJ
Ive heard the same thing but a nice forged piston, if nothing else, would be a nice insurance policy in case of something like loss of fuel pressure under load. It wouldn't necessarily save you but it may buy a bit of time if something bad happened under boost. Probably not necessary but IMHO a worthwhile investment considering all the $$$ you'll be spending on everything else.

I think it was at one point, there were also some dyno videos floating around, but they didn't quite match up with the claims. That HKS turbo was a great turbo back in the day but it is really quite dated now.

Mud owner .?

So this is what happens when you let a teenager drive a vehicle and they know nothing about checking the fluid levels.

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

Prior to pulling the rotating assembly out I was strongly leaning toward stock pistons and rods with a refresh on bearings but now seeing the condition I think I have made up my mind to go with JE forged pistons.
Not sure of which rods to use yet have to do some more research.

Also going to order another set of ARP studs for the main caps.

Great thread, subscribed. If you don't mind, post up the part numbers for the various items as you go. I have a spare 1fz-fe waiting for its turbo build as well.

I do believe @scottryana 's lx makes 400 awhp on pretty much a stock motor, head gasket and all (plus the obvious upgrades of Haltech, turbo, injectors, etc.).

Ill be keeping mine stock. Havent checked main bearings yet but ive got 323k miles on the motor so a little refresh is probably in order

I do believe @scottryana 's lx makes 400 awhp on pretty much a stock motor, head gasket and all (plus the obvious upgrades of Haltech, turbo, injectors, etc.).
yes that is correct his build is where I got most of my ideas. This motor actually was a spare that was pulled because of a knock development because the teenager drove it low on oil. I have not pulled the motor from my 80 yet but may do so after seeing the condition of this one but I will still have everything checked out to see what condition it is in.

I will be posting pictures and part numbers of the components I select along the way.

Looks like 4x4 labs bumper to me. F/R

Two mudders have owned the black one posted on the drag strip; jgwinc and now belongs to bahamasair. I got to see it many years ago as he lived part time in my town. Funny thing is that 10 years ago when he posted a turbo 80 build up he got all kinds of flack on here for (mostly the wheels) but the whole why turbo a 4x4 truck and kinda faded away, not that i can blame him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom