4 runner died at stop light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELP! My 87 runner died at a stop sign, won't restart. turns over...seems to have something out of balance internally. not odd noise at any time. 194K miles. where do I start?
Thanks.
Brent

Is it turning over faster than usual? Check your timing chain.

Easiest way to check the chain: pop off the dist cap, crank the engine, see if the rotor is spinning.

If it is a 22re, check to make sure the plug is 100% into the socket on the throttle position sensor. Mine was loose for a while and it caused it to nearly stall out every time I stopped. It was just gravity pulling the socket apart every time I hit the brakes. John

It's a little black box on the side of the fresh air horn, where the hose from the air filter feeds into the air box. It is opposite the throttle linkage on the air horn. It ( I Think) is a 6 pin plug with a little flimsy wire around it that holds it into the box. Good Luck.

Not so good news? When engine is turned over, rotor turns. Throttle sensor plug seems to be tight and not moving at all. Anyone got any other ideas?

Neither of those would likely make it stop dead and not re-start.

Check for the 3 basics: fuel, air, spark.

Do the paperclip thing to force the fuel pump on, see if it is running. If so, see if it starts.

Check for spark.

Thanks for all the replies. Checking fuel andfuses next. Anyone direct me to fuel pump paper clip trick? Also where is the trouble code plug? and will it work on with a OBDII?

Sorry, no ODB-II. Truck is way to old. The standard didn't even exist when the truck was made. You would need a scanner that can read earlier trucks. They are more expensive.

Another thing to check is the ignitor on the coil. Almost always looked over. I racked my brain when I had it happen on my 85 toy. Found one on a wrecked toy, fired right up. Worth a shot.

Thanks for all the help... Here's the latest...Tested Fuel with jumper...No fuel to rail..Pulled EFI relay and it had been removed, taken apart and aped back together with black electrical tape...Ordered 2 (1 for a spare). will be here on tuesday....That HAS to be it...right guys??? Jerod, the FAQs are a huge help. I like having a FSM! Thanks again for all the help!
Brent

Sorry, no ODB-II. Truck is way to old. The standard didn't even exist when the truck was made. You would need a scanner that can read earlier trucks. They are more expensive.

ive got that equipment and i looked at my truck with it and there was nothing what so ever to look at. no data no codes, nothin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom