1988 4 runner motor swap info needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

most of the well organized info is on yotatech.
how much you need to buy depends on your skill level.

most of my swap stuff is in the first 12-15 pages here. 3.4 into my 89.

Other sources of stuff:

There is also a group on Facebook for this conversion.

I recommend getting a running donor. That's what I did and it saved me a lot of money and parts searching. I salvaged as much as possible off the donor and parted out the rest. Parting it out pretty much paid for my swap as well as my dual cases and more.

thinking it would be a lot of work and expense. Does putting a turbo on the original 3.0 make good sense ?

The 3.0 had headgasket issues that you'd still be at risk for dealing with by adding a turbo. There's also not a ton of space so you'll likely be considering a rear mount, which can be a bit of work and expense.

The 3.4 bolts onto the stock motor mounts of the 3.0. Sourcing the parts is a bit time consuming, but I'll echo what is said here. Ideally you want the entire donor vehicle, but that means having a wreck in your driveway or garage. After that having a local junkyard willing to put the vehicle you're pulling from in a part of the junkyard that other people can't get to would be best.

From what I remember it took me a day to pull the old motor, and a day to put the new motor in. I bought the crossover pipe from toyota only swaps, and what I remember being the biggest pita was bolting the transmission to the motor, lots of swivels and lots of extensions. It took me a week or two doing the wiring, but again nothing too complicated and it fired up on the first try.

In terms of power, with a heavy chassie the power feels adequate. It's still definately not a speed demon, but you will go from 145 horsepower to roughly 190 horsepower. If that's not enough the 5vzfe also had trd supercharging possibilities, and the 5vzfe seems to tolerate boost alright. Also maintanance is SO MUCH easier on the 5vz compared to the 3vz. No more cap and rotors, and spark plugs are much easier.

Lots of good swap threads in the old yotatech forum. I did my swap basically solely based on the information there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom