4' Lift Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Im just starting out with my 67' 40. Im looking to get a 4' Lift kit and new tires. Im basically looking at three sets... CCOT's BDS kit, Downey's Kit, and Old Man Emu's Kit. I called Downey and it seems like the downey shocks are made to original specs (which I heard original was best). What kit would you guys get if you had to do it all over again? :slap:

lol....hate to say this, but I wouldn't have wasted $$ on a 4" lift kit only to do the SOA 2 years later... (and I assume you want 4" NOT 4'!!! lol)

I've installed Downey springs on a friends rig and he likes them. Don't recall what shocks he used tho.

I ran Skyjacker Softrides and they seem to get about the best review for the "normal" SUA kits. OME is nicer, but way more $$$$, and IMO not enuf nicer for the price.

what size tire you planning??? (or hoping for ?)

[quote author=SmarterGod link=board=1;threadid=5559;start=msg43820#msg43820 date=1064265453]
Hey guys. Im just starting out with my 67' 40. Im looking to get a 4' Lift kit and new tires. Im basically looking at three sets... CCOT's BDS kit, Downey's Kit, and Old Man Emu's Kit. I called Downey and it seems like the downey shocks are made to original specs (which I heard original was best). What kit would you guys get if you had to do it all over again? :slap:
[/quote]

If Downeys shocks are made to origianal specs then save soome money and buy OEM shocks which a set of 4 will run you $80. But I can't imagine they are made to OEM specs the OEM shocks will not go 4" more.

Shocks..... I REALLY like OME, I run them even on my stock rigs, just a very nice ride IMOP.

Spings, I like OME again, I have full OME suspensions of 4 of my Cruisers. They aint cheap but I get some VERY good prices from a buddies local shop and also have no shiping as we are close to ARB in Seattle, just drive and pick em up.

John

John

Im thinking of doing 33"s to 34"s.... Im looking for something that will give me a good drive on the road.... and something that will handle good on the occasional beach trip, or off road trail... im not looking to do any major rock climbing or anything like that... what do you think?

Well doing the lift kit, I was hoping to get a better ride out of it. Should I just replace everything stock and go with the bigger tires? It sounds cheaper... and im alwayz up for cheaper...

I own the 4" skyjacker and a buddy has the SOR 2.5". Mine rides waaaay better on road, but still nothing compared to an SOA rig or I would assume good stock springs. Mine were shot so bad that I saw an improvement as well. If you do PS so you can run tires at little lower pressures, the 4" will ride just fine after broken in. I just got my 4" 4 months ago and I'm already wishing I hadn't so I could do SOA and not loose a bunch of money on my new tires and lift.

Okay I know this is going to sounds stupid but... what does SOA mean???? ¬.¬

I have nothing to add to this thread.

I just think that's a cool avatar. :D

Spring
Over
Axle

this means relocating your springs to the top side of the axle houseing. when researching lifts i found that people are asking about 2000 do spring over a cruiser.
the benefits are huge... do a search on this subject and read the articles in the tech section. they can give you better info than i can.

i'm running the skyjacker 4" with rancho 9000's.
the springs took a while to break in, but i like them much now.
you could run 33's with a 2.5" lift. smaller lifts are generally softer.
also, a low center of gravity is something you will love. i've considered trading my 4" for a 2.5"

On the other hand, if its between a 4" lift and a half-assed SOA, I'd probably go 4" lift. The ride's not bad, quick, easy, good height, 33"s fit with more than enough room to flex. Skyjacker is not bad at all at $630 for the whole deal.

630 for the whole setup?? That sounds good. Where can I find that at? I dont think SOR, JTO, or CCOT has them..

call around to local 4x4 shops.

i picked up my springs with bushings and ubolts for $400 from a place in salt lake city, utah. good deals are out there.

Another question.... 33's and 34's... if I did decide to go with a 2.5 lift, will it fit my 40 without rubbing? I dont have the back quaters cut

33x9.50's will fit a 40 with stock saging springs and UN-cut rear fenders. with only a little rubbing in the front when the the wheels are cut hard to one side or the other. or so it is with the 71 i know of....

to the best of my knowledge any amount of spring lift will clear 33's no problem.

if you decide on a lift(of any size), your best bet is to replace EVERYTHING. springs,bushing,U-bolts,shackles and shocks. add to that a good set of tires and you'll have about the best riding setup you can hope for out of a 30yr old truck, with out spending your first born son.

One of my best buddies runs 33s with a 2 1/2" kit and Duetche Tech shocks(not sure I spelled that right). Great on the road and on dirt roads or light trails he runs away. The only time he wishes for more is when we hit the nasty stuff.

All your questions really hinge on where you want to be in a few years or which type of driving you plan to do. For many of us, it seems like no matter what we do we will do it again in a few years or so. For general daily driving and mild off road I would go with the CCOT lift and level springs with some short, extended shackles. 33x10.50 will fit fine and wont rub unless you get way off camber or hung up. For more extensive off road use I would look at the Pinnacle for cheap and easy 2.5" lift. BDS also if they make it. Not a big fan of skyjacker or softride. Both are fine but way away from the best but then again, so is Pinnacle. 33x12.50 will do fine with this set up as will 34s. They might rub a bit but not often. If you want the 4" you can run 35s on mild to hard off road and beat the hell out of 33s, my favorite, thay should almost never rub. When you get to 4" you are almost at the SOA. I would just go ahead and do it but look at the SOR, OME, BDS and Pinnacle.

Almost all of the time you get shocks with the kit you get. Most all are fine. OME are wonderful so are the $21 super gabriels from NAPA. Make sure you have enough travel for the shocks.

[quote author=SmarterGod link=board=1;threadid=5559;start=msg43897#msg43897 date=1064275774]
630 for the whole setup?? That sounds good. Where can I find that at? I dont think SOR, JTO, or CCOT has them..
[/quote]
I got mine on a free shipping weekend from 4wheelparts.com. They had shocks included for $20 more than my local 4 wheel parts retailer. A buddy of mine has the SOR Ironman 2.5" springs and they might as well be a structural I-Beam. Ridiculously stiff and bouncy. You don't have to buy them, but I went ahead and got anti-inversion shackles from SOR, you also need to order the 8 poly bushings that go between the shackle and frame from SOR. A very deep 22mm socket is necessary as the SJ u-bolts are ridiculously long. Impact wrenches are your best friend. With my 33's on 3.75" backspacing (not recommended, actually have them through an error) and cut fenders, I can't come anywhere near touching anything. The springs are stiff on road, but flex well offroad, still nothing compared to SOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom