3FE Owners Check-In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ultimately the long story goes as followed

i had seen this 80 sitting at a local repair shop for about a month. i finally called them to see what was going on with it. the shop said it had come in for a new sunroof glass and the owner was supposed to supply the part, they did release the owners phone number to be because they did believe she was interested in selling it. Well i called and left a voicemail and about a week later i got a call back, the owner and i spoke in lengths about the truck and the other vehicle she had. She said that she was getting up in age and she wasn't going to get to the vehicles that were in the barn and was interested in selling everything, she really didn't have the expertise to list them in front of the right audiences either. Well it turned out that in the barn there was an 73'porsche 911T targa, 88" porsche 924, 59 BMW R69S motorcycle, 76 R90E BMW motorcycle and an 85' K100RS BMW motorcycle. We came to an agreement that i would help her sell off the vehicles for a commission.

i quickly found a buyer for the 924 and one of the bikes. we are currently in the process of getting the 911T prepared for a BAT auction. After the sale of the first 2 vehicles she sat me down to speak about my commission for helping her get her barn cleared out. well that commission happen to be this 80 series! By the end of it i will have a TON of hours cleaning this barn out and selling off all these vehicles so my time is not free. She was very excited about the fact the Cruiser was going to someone that would love it as much as her Late husband did. I'm really enjoying doing some "automotive archeology" pulling these cars out and giving them a new chance at life. Overall the whole experience has been surreal and i was blown away that she wanted to give me the cruiser as payment for all the work, i tried to offer her some cash for it and she firmly told me NO and that i didn't understand how much this is helping her.

Moral of the story is treat everyone with kindness and respect, good things will follow
that is a cool story. I would love to find one that clean, but kind of glad mine is not. makes me feel a lot less guilty for wheeling it through tight brush. lol. too clean of an offroad toy is no fun IMO.

someday.

that is a cool story. I would love to find one that clean, but kind of glad mine is not. makes me feel a lot less guilty for wheeling it through tight brush. lol. too clean of an offroad toy is no fun IMO.

someday.
It is a clean truck, it photographs well but it has its fair share of bumps and scuffs i wouldn't be to worried about wheeling this one. I appreciate the kind comments though

I’ve owned this 80 for 2 years now. It is my daily driver I put approximately 80 miles a day back forth to work. When I bought it had just over 250,000 miles on it now it has 281,000 on it and still going strong.
32B44D92-4061-486D-9543-B6A6E658830F.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve owned this 80 for 2 years now. It is my daily driver I put approximately 80 miles a day back forth to work. When I bought it had just over 250,000 miles on it now it has 281,000 on it and still going strong.View attachment 3123541
8 yrs owning my rig, DD it for 3 yrs, got it baselined, and started modding it, now on 37s, mostly weekend trail/cross country rig and it is as reliable as it gets. Only been stranded 4 times since owning it, problems with cooling twice, once with a bad ground and once with a blown tranny.

I’ve owned this 80 for 2 years now. It is my daily driver I put approximately 80 miles a day back forth to work. When I bought it had just over 250,000 miles on it now it has 281,000 on it and still going strong.View attachment 3123541

Hot damn you must be rich with that fuel bill ;) JK

I DD my 80 for about 4 years when I first got it. it was on 37's with a 6" lift back then.

Speedo problem-
accurate on my way to work ~2 miles
completely over reading on my way home.
not too much of a bother for me but I'm sure my wife is going to hate it when she uses it.
I was thinking about upgrading to a digital gauge thing because the Tach is also not working- but idk if there are any available for ODBI models?
any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT:
Sorry for not reading your post correctly.
This is for coolant temp... Koso slim gauge, i have both coolant and transmission temp readings.
You are referring to digital speedo? If so, i use GPS....lol

Speedo problem-
accurate on my way to work ~2 miles
completely over reading on my way home.
not too much of a bother for me but I'm sure my wife ioing to hate it when she uses it.
I was thinking about upgrading to a digital gauge thing because the Tach is also not working- but idk if there are any available for ODBI models?
any suggestions would be appreciated.

20220806_161707.jpg

Last edited:
So had an odd thing happen to me this morning on the way to work in my 80, I was doing about 70+ mph ( I KNOW, Ha HA) and the check engine light came on, when I let off the gas the light went off? I then stepped on the gas to move or and pass a car to exit and the light came back on, but went away when I left off the gas. and never came back on when I was on the side road of the highway. ANY ideas why this would happen? Thank

So had an odd thing happen to me this morning on the way to work in my 80, I was doing about 70+ mph ( I KNOW, Ha HA) and the check engine light came on, when I let off the gas the light went off? I then stepped on the gas to move or and pass a car to exit and the light came back on, but went away when I left off the gas. and never came back on when I was on the side road of the highway. ANY ideas why this would happen? Thank
If stepping on the gas at 70 produced any meaningful acceleration O’d say that the gas in the tank was sloshing backwards and forwards……

my guess would be to go look for any wires that short when the motor shifts under power and don't touch when in the static position.

my guess would be to go look for any wires that short when the motor shifts under power and don't touch when in the static position.
Change your fusable link, same issue with me. It wiggles when the engine wiggles. Do what i did put wife in driver seat, tell her to watch for light and not touch anything but shout when she sees the light come on. And you start wiggling wires around under the hood, you can waste more of her time and start by the fuse box or just go straight to the fusable link like a pro. Then tell her its only $20 to replace the link and say to her “i saved you soooo much money honey. Arnt I great etc etc etc.”

Sometimes the check engine light will come on at freeway speeds due to a dirty MAF or a vacuum issue but I think it stays on until a reset. Anyway all these things happened to my 80 back in the day, just cant remember the specifics. Sometimes vacuum issues come and go when u wash the engine and that could be a vacuum leak because the water seals up the cracks in the hoses for a bit. Test for vacuum leaks by using a smoker i made one from a cigar tube and a bike floor pump or spray starter fluid on the lines. Also open up the two vacuum line holes on the top in side of the throttle body, if the holes are partially blocked u can spray cleaner in thru the top. My memory is coming back now and if one of those holes is clogged the check engine will come on at freeway speeds because the egr isnt opening up.

Last edited:
Had something similar happen to me yesterday but on when I was accelerating out of a turn and off when cruising down the road.
My speedo needle has been dancing around like crazy for the last few weeks ( I posted about it in this thread iirc)
Are you having any other dash problems?

Had something similar happen to me yesterday but on when I was accelerating out of a turn and off when cruising down the road.
My speedo needle has been dancing around like crazy for the last few weeks ( I posted about it in this thread iirc)
Are you having any other dash problems?
No other problems, last night I drove it about 60+ miles, and took it to a car wash (pressure washer) and filled up the tank and drove back home. NO check engine light? Not real sure what happened Thursday morning? Will be keeping an eye on it.

No other problems, last night I drove it about 60+ miles, and took it to a car wash (pressure washer) and filled up the tank and drove back home. NO check engine light? Not real sure what happened Thursday morning? Will be keeping an eye on it.
Spray throttle body cleaner thru your two throttle body vacuum lines inputs to make the EGR operate properly. My check engine light used to come on at freeway speeds because the EGR wasn't opening up. Ifs it the fuseable links ur gonna have more electrical issues on the dash. Like no D light, then Christmas tree lights.

Spray throttle body cleaner thru your two throttle body vacuum lines inputs to make the EGR operate properly. My check engine light used to come on at freeway speeds because the EGR wasn't opening up. Ifs it the fuseable links ur gonna have more electrical issues on the dash. Like no D light, then Christmas tree lights.
I have removed the ERG / de-smog the engine, I'm looking at getting upgrade exhaust and removal of all O2 sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom