3FE Owners Check-In (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked mine up about 4 months ago and have been busy modding....

I've got a 91' as an island truck and decided to sell a highly tuned RS6 to have a vehichle that was more usable as a DD and for adventures.... found my Tan 92' with 205k on it for 3k... mint chassis, perfect running gear and really just need new seats and mods.... and so we started... this site has been invaluable in picking my course of action - thanks to all.

So far:

ARB front bumper w w/ 12k Engo winch w/ Synth & Hella 700's
Ironman 2" lift and steering Stab
Monstaliner - white for the roof and silver for the beltline and flares
Full interior removal and over 150sf of Dynamat... painful but worth it... repalced door interiors with 95' leather door cards. Front seat are ProCar elite with Lumbar support ( they almost fit perfectly on the factory rails btw... no need for the adapter brackets if you're willing to hit the hardware store) Recovered rear seats and removed the jumpers. New wood trim and matching shifter boot and parking brake boot and full carpet kit...
Pioneer headunit with 6 1/2 Kenwood speaker in all doors and MTX powered sub in the back on a custom 4x4labs rear storage rack on the passenger side - normal version on the driver side.

Roof rack is currently a Yakima Mega Warrrior while I am getting a custom Laum one made.... will be selling if anyone is looking.....

Tires are 305/70/16 Duratracs on OEM 16's - debating going wider but she's too underpwered to go with more diameter !

Next up will be a FF rear end with disc brakes and Spartan locker likely.... and then hopefully the AJIk rear tire mount...

Love the darn thing but she sure is slow....... I figured it's about 400hp less then my old car !

cheers to all for sharing their insight, experiences and knowledge....

:beer:
2012-07-28 08.27.17.jpg
2012-07-15 13.44.32.jpg

I've got a 91' as an island truck and decided to sell a highly tuned RS6 to have a vehichle that was more usable as a DD and for adventures.... found my Tan 92' with 205k on it for 3k... mint chassis, perfect running gear and really just need new seats and mods.... and so we started... this site has been invaluable in picking my course of action - thanks to all.

So far:

ARB front bumper w w/ 12k Engo winch w/ Synth & Hella 700's
Ironman 2" lift and steering Stab
Monstaliner - white for the roof and silver for the beltline and flares
Full interior removal and over 150sf of Dynamat... painful but worth it... repalced door interiors with 95' leather door cards. Front seat are ProCar elite with Lumbar support ( they almost fit perfectly on the factory rails btw... no need for the adapter brackets if you're willing to hit the hardware store) Recovered rear seats and removed the jumpers. New wood trim and matching shifter boot and parking brake boot and full carpet kit...
Pioneer headunit with 6 1/2 Kenwood speaker in all doors and MTX powered sub in the back on a custom 4x4labs rear storage rack on the passenger side - normal version on the driver side.

Roof rack is currently a Yakima Mega Warrrior while I am getting a custom Laum one made.... will be selling if anyone is looking.....

Tires are 305/70/16 Duratracs on OEM 16's - debating going wider but she's too underpwered to go with more diameter !

Next up will be a FF rear end with disc brakes and Spartan locker likely.... and then hopefully the AJIk rear tire mount...

Love the darn thing but she sure is slow....... I figured it's about 400hp less then my old car !

cheers to all for sharing their insight, experiences and knowledge....

:beer:

Nice looking rig... best color also.... yeah I went from a very powerful LS1 tuned camaro to my 92.... on 36"tires.... now i'm up to 39"s.

My First TLC!

The wife knew I had lost my mind when I came home with our new soon to be daily driver a 21 year old FJ80 with 163k last spring. While on the maiden voyage home I noticed a noise coming from the front driver wheel. Upon further inspection I became painfully aware of the fact that the PO had done zero PM other than change the motor oil and coolant due to a recent hose failure. So the work began. Replaced front wheel bearings, seals, and both spindles purchased from American Toyota in Albuquerque. Power steering fluid was leaking due to a hardened o-ring easy fix. Changed oil and replaced filter with Mobile One 5w-30 synthetic. I later switched to Delo 400 15W-40 after noticing that the 3FE was using some oil. Next, differentials transmission and transfer case received fresh lube. The condition of the fluids was so bad I drove 200 miles then drained/refilled differentials, transmission and transfer case again. Next, one of the O2 sensors bungs blew out while driving home one day and since there was really not much material to work with I had the exhaust replaced from down pipe back at my local muffler shop. The cats were missing when I bought the rig so this inspired me to desmog my 3FE. Next I replaced the distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and plug wires with OEM parts. I found a set of FJ Cruiser alloys and tires with less than 5000 miles on them in CL for little of nothing. Ordered lug nuts with washers from NAPA for the the new wheels, which almost cost as much as the wheels and tires. My 80 had a port installed security and keyless entry but no FOB came with it at the time of purchase. Ordered two new FOBs, two factory keys and replacement drivers side mirror from American Toyota in Albuquerque.

Next on my list of things to do:
valve adjustment
front and rear bumper build
New seats

YES I blew my budget on repairs but the TLC gave me a reason to get off the couch and in the garage. I am now the proud owner of a 1992 3FE TLC that I would not hesitate to leave in tomorrow on a cross country trip. Thanks to Beno and CDan at American Toyota and all who have shared your experience on this site.
photo.JPG

My new 80, 10/1993 factory lockers,oem 2.5'' arb bumper, 141 xxx miles,ironman awing,12 lbs winch ironman, 305 tires...etc just got it saturday aug 11.
_DSC0246.jpg

My new 1992 LC

Have owned an 03 and 06 LC. After a year or so with a sports car, I decided to purchase a project LC for my sons and I to restore. So I bit the bullet today and picked up a 92 LC, 260K miles and plenty of wear on the interior. LC seems very solid, with just a few mods (snorkel, bull bar and winch). Immediate plan is to get it back to a very safe LC and use for the winter. Will begin rebuilding the interior, with any major work happening in the spring. Tranny shifts hard, kick down issue only I hope. Fluids will be replaced this week. Then go from there. Not much of a pic yet, will post better pics later on in the week. I look forward to surfing the forum and getting up to snuff on the 80 series.
IMG_0592.jpg

Looks like someone is very happy I am back in the LC club again. This is Andie my GSD.

image-1739176106.jpg
image-1739176106.jpg

1991, 132,000 miles. Nantucket, Massachusetts. Bone Stock with 33'' KM2s. Flat OD Green paint. I'm the 3rd owner, have had her for about 2 years. She's come a long way.

Do you have pictures? I am thinking about km2s on my '92 . How do you like them?

Checking in...

Just picked up my first land cruiser - got a great condition 92 FJ80 so I'm here in the 3FE to learn the tricks of the trade.

The body is solid and (mostly) rust free. All the power options work, third row seats were included, upholstery is good except for a few little tears on the side of the driver seat...had 160,000 original miles.

Going to have to replace the muffler. Would like to get it painted (hood & roof). I plan on putting a 2.5" OME and front and back ARB's, and replacing the radio with a navigation/audio package.

Located in northern VA. Glad to be here.

Zombo '91

I've been reading info on this site for a little over a year while I built up Zombo.

1991 Land Cruiser - Paid $2900
185k miles
Daily Driver

Immediately had to do a bunch of fixes which included:

U Joints
Trunion or Birf (Sounds like something from the mines of Mordor)
Tune up

Then was able to add:

3" OME
35x12.5x15 Duratracs (3.75" backspace)
I probably got 12-14mpg before the tires. Now I probably get 11-12mpg, but I don't give an eff because I look so damn kewl! :grinpimp:

I live in Denver, CO. Took it up to the mountains with my wife and daughter for the first time last month. Thought I was going to drop my transmission on my way up to Eisenhower Tunnel and then again up Vail Pass. :eek: Top speeds were in between 40-45mpg and I was in-between 2-3 the whole time, but we finally made it. Once past Vail Pass, it was back to 60-65mpg. :clap:

Stopped in at Glennwood Springs Pool. After 10 minutes, finally found some parking. Almost got away with it for the whole day!

On the way back to Denver, Vail Pass and Eisenhower were even worse! lol
I remember saying countless times, "Please don't die on me, baby! Coach Bella says you can do it!" We made it to the top and I put Zombo in neutral for a bit on the way down.

I loved this truck since I first test drove it. I can't see myself driving anything else ever again. But, man, I need to get more power for it to realistically become our expedition vehicle. I know...I know...use the search tool. I've searched and searched on engine swaps.

Now, I can build a sweet ass website, but in the real world all I can do is hammer stuff pretty good. I'm Kelly Bundy when it comes to DIY automotive stuff. Seems like most people on here do all their own stuff. I got a quote from the shop after they fixed my Birf for a V8 Chevy swap for 15k! That same birf they fixed is spewing butt mud a year later (not even wheeled once).

I have checked the venders page. Does anyone have any recommendations for Land Cruiser shops in CO?

Zombo '91

Pics didn't come through...here ya go.
cruzgarage.jpg
CruzGlen.jpg

ADV80

I've posted in the 3FE department long ago, BUT I have had some major upgrades recently!!!

• Full Float Rear Axle Swap w/ Disk Brakes
• 4:88 Nitro Gears
• TJM Pro Air Lockers Front & Read
• 16" Steel Toyota Factory Wheels
• Falken Wild Peak 34" Dual Sport Tires
• AirTech Snorkel

7907800390_c79386e1bd_z.jpg

Check out all these upgrades on Page-12 of my thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/233037-gcrad1s-1992-adv-fj80-land-cruiser.html

Picked it up two days ago, tires yesterday, ordering lift today. I know the 3fe is a dog, compared to the 1fz....I still like it, a lot. It's an honest motor, and solid.:cheers:

IMG_20121002_081238.jpg

IMG_20121002_174514-1.jpg

Hi. Newbie here. I'm hoping somebody can help me. I'm in Australia and nobody over here seems to know anything about the 3FE. I have a 91 LC with the 3FE and last week when coming home from a weekend away the old girl suddenly lost power. the timing has completely gone out the window. i've replaced the plugs and leads and the next step would normally be to look at the timing belt or chain, except, well i'm sure you guys all know there isn't one.

what should my next step be?

Going to start on my turbo build soon.

Got just about everything together... was looking to try and find some 3FE headers but came up short... oh well this will bolt to the stock manifolds..... then exhaust shop will do a new dual exhaust out the back

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom