3FE Fuel Injector Part Number Mystery ..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post so before I begin .... a big thanks to the community for all the help and resources over the past year on my build.

I have a 01/1988 FJ62 I received from the original owner (my father). I rode around in this truck as a kid and have a lot of fond memories on family road trips, ranch wheeling, girlfriends, etc.. Needless to say it is special to me in many ways.

I recently replaced the manifold gasket and had the injectors professionally cleaned here in Houston. The injectors are original to the vehicle so they had never been replaced, cleaned or removed. The part number on the original injectors removed from the vehicle is 23250-74060 (connector color is dark blue). However, I just received a second set of injectors off another 1988 that show 23250-06010 as the part number (connector is a light green). Based on my research, the two parts have different flow specs from the manufacturer (Denso).

Here is where it is interesting ..... I am 100% certain the original injectors are in fact original so they really did come on the vehicle from the factory. However, all parts vendors show 23250-06010 as the actual part number for the 1988 model year. Either there was a change in part number and specs on injectors or Toyota stuck Camry injectors into my truck from the factory.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? Was there are part number change and/or did Toyota change the specs for injectors mid year in 1988? Did Toyota make a mistake? We are talking about a 10% difference in flow rate / minute between the two parts so the delta is material in magnitude.

Thanks for any information and hopefully the answer is a simple one ....

Im interested to know some opinions. Even you will find at least 3 more part numbers. I will give you one. 23250 65020... Its the rpart number for the injectors on the 3VZ 3.0 v6 engine from 4 runners and tacos... Incredibly fits on the 3fe.

That actually is pretty interesting. Which injectors have the higher flow rate? The 3FE injectors or the Camry injectors that were on your rig? That 10% flow rate would likely end up being immeasurable with the A440F behind the engine, but I'm wondering if it'd be noticeable with an H55F behind it. If the Camry injectors have the higher flow rate (I'm suspecting that's not the case though?) I wonder if they'd be a simple "whenever things are already apart" upgrade to throw in. If the Camry injectors have the lesser flow rate, you're probably fine running them until you've got it apart again since your A440F will keep you from noticing the slight reduction in performance.

@Raultlc That's interesting too. What I'd love to see is a flow rate comparison between all different injectors that work on the 3FE. Be cool to have a reasonable upgrade while still sticking with a quality Denso part.

That actually is pretty interesting. Which injectors have the higher flow rate? The 3FE injectors or the Camry injectors that were on your rig? That 10% flow rate would likely end up being immeasurable with the A440F behind the engine, but I'm wondering if it'd be noticeable with an H55F behind it. If the Camry injectors have the higher flow rate (I'm suspecting that's not the case though?) I wonder if they'd be a simple "whenever things are already apart" upgrade to throw in. If the Camry injectors have the lesser flow rate, you're probably fine running them until you've got it apart again since your A440F will keep you from noticing the slight reduction in performance.

@Raultlc That's interesting too. What I'd love to see is a flow rate comparison between all different injectors that work on the 3FE. Be cool to have a reasonable upgrade while still sticking with a quality Denso part.

After make a search, i found that the 23250 65020 has a flow rate per min of 192 cc, tbe 23250 74060 has a 190 cc p/min and the 23250 61010 has a 208 cc p/min. That means a difference of almost 8% less respective the originals that came witht the 3fes. For my side i think that its fine. Are closer to the original fuel rate.

For clarification, the Camry injectors had the lower flow rate. I also went ahead and had the “new ones” cleaned and installed them as a test. Honestly, I noticed a significant increase in power although it may be attributable to the clean injectors versus the different specs.

Either way, I have a spare set of injectors!

Interesting. Let me look at the part numbers on my injectors. I have two sets as well, a "original" set from my early 88 FJ62 and ones from a later FJ62. These motors are so simple and the computer system so basic that I think sticking with stock (refurbished) is the best course of action. People have "upgraded" to multi-hole injectors but the increases in felt power are likely the new injector phenomenon. No one has done a direct comparison between refurbished OE and new multi-hole injectors, or at least not that I know of.

I can't remember the P/N but here's what I know. I had one or two quit working so I sent the batch to be cleaned by Mr. Injector. A few of them failed so I had to replace them. I used whatever replacements I found on Rock Auto and they're working just fine along with the original cleaned units. YMMV

After make a search, i found that the 23250 65020 has a flow rate per min of 192 cc, tbe 23250 74060 has a 190 cc p/min and the 23250 61010 has a 208 cc p/min. That means a difference of almost 8% less respective the originals that came witht the 3fes. For my side i think that its fine. Are closer to the original fuel rate.
So it would seem the stock 3FE injectors that we're supposed to have to begin with are already the higher flow rate of the lot. Almost got excited there for a second :lol:

Does the ECU affect flow rate of the injectors enough to make the difference in flow rate negligible? Do the injectors ever see full output? I don't know how the ECU and injectors work together.

Does the ECU affect flow rate of the injectors enough to make the difference in flow rate negligible? Do the injectors ever see full output? I don't know how the ECU and injectors work together.
That's actually a really good point that I hadn't considered. I think as long as there's enough air coming into the engine the ECU will adjust the time of the open pulses of the injectors to give enough fuel for the proper AFR needed, based on the signal it gets from the O2 sensors in the exhaust. I understand that modifications done to increase airflow through the engine (larger exhaust, bored out throttle body, complete cylinder head rework) will show benefit before the injectors need to be changed out, so given that it stands to reason that in stock configuration we're still not taking advantage of the full flow rate of the factory injectors.

Last edited:
This is my first post so before I begin .... a big thanks to the community for all the help and resources over the past year on my build.

I have a 01/1988 FJ62 I received from the original owner (my father). I rode around in this truck as a kid and have a lot of fond memories on family road trips, ranch wheeling, girlfriends, etc.. Needless to say it is special to me in many ways.

I recently replaced the manifold gasket and had the injectors professionally cleaned here in Houston. The injectors are original to the vehicle so they had never been replaced, cleaned or removed. The part number on the original injectors removed from the vehicle is 23250-74060 (connector color is dark blue). However, I just received a second set of injectors off another 1988 that show 23250-06010 as the part number (connector is a light green). Based on my research, the two parts have different flow specs from the manufacturer (Denso).

Here is where it is interesting ..... I am 100% certain the original injectors are in fact original so they really did come on the vehicle from the factory. However, all parts vendors show 23250-06010 as the actual part number for the 1988 model year. Either there was a change in part number and specs on injectors or Toyota stuck Camry injectors into my truck from the factory.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? Was there are part number change and/or did Toyota change the specs for injectors mid year in 1988? Did Toyota make a mistake? We are talking about a 10% difference in flow rate / minute between the two parts so the delta is material in magnitude.

Thanks for any information and hopefully the answer is a simple one ....

There is one Toyota part # for all 3FE's worldwide. 23209-61010. Anything else is not a 3FE injector. I'm sure there are dozens of other injectors out there that fit right in and have the same connector, same height, O-ring's and similar flow rates.

Don't worry, no one else in this thread does either
It's not necessarily a complex system. As far as ported EFI goes this is a fairly early execution.

Reviving and old thread.

I was hoping to luck out with a 6 pack of fuel injectors from amazon... I put in the 23250-06010's and my gasoline engine was basically rolling coal. Would not idle and I had super choppy acceleration. Im taking my originals to be rebuilt tomorrow.

Reviving and old thread.

I was hoping to luck out with a 6 pack of fuel injectors from amazon... I put in the 23250-06010's and my gasoline engine was basically rolling coal. Would not idle and I had super choppy acceleration. Im taking my originals to be rebuilt tomorrow.
Could have been counterfeit units? Rebuilt is a good way to go though.

Could have been counterfeit units? Rebuilt is a good way to go though.
Given Amazon's reputation, my money is on counterfeit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom