35 Years in the Making! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually, everyone I read about who had installed a system like this did say….USE THE GASKET SEALER!

... the intimidation of “ flaring” “vacuuming” ‘Charging” etc. Scared me off initially towards the pre-charged units.

Flaring the tubing would be not be difficult for someone who has been flaring Harley gas and oil lines for how many years ... just saying.

THAT is just what I had decided after making the ss lines for the Land Cruiser…. “ so, this is what they mean by flaring?” Nothing to it…it was all just stuff I had never knew the terms for.

like a Triple Toe Loop in ice skating….whats that?

Last edited:
My shop bill is included in the house bill so I have no idea.

I'm on a separate meter for the shop so easy to track. But means a $20+/mo base meter charge. Plumb an old analog meter in at the shop if you're ever curious.

You can also get a variety of electrical meters - including "smart" ones that you can access from a phone app.

Very quick search just for an example: https://a.co/d/0krdNkW

That one is only to 100A, but you get the idea.

Is this meter something that you can use as a sort of “fuel gauge” where you can refresh it each month and see how much power you have used by mid month?…. I am truly a gadget lover

You can also get a variety of electrical meters - including "smart" ones that you can access from a phone app.

Very quick search just for an example: https://a.co/d/0krdNkW

That one is only to 100A, but you get the idea.
Figured there was probably something more sophisticated available. Years ago I picked up one of the old utility company glass covered spinning disc meters, scrounged a base and voilà, instant usage meter. Later got a digital meter but have never hooked up worried about possibly feeding back readings to power company and then having to deal with the mess of getting straightened out.

they have meters that have a built-in function for cost estimates. You put in your cost for 1 kWh and it shows the usage cost directly in $. Very sobering.

My house meter is 50 years old, my barn meter is 15 months maybe. When I spoke to the guys who attached the line to the pole he told me, it’s probably reading low…don’t change the old meter. Despite knowing the sobering cost of your electrical service, I think it’s great knowing either you’d better cut back or, it’s ok to leave the light on more often

lol All this talk about power bills and mine just went over 4 digits. We don't keep the house temp very high in the winter but we had some really cold days in a row in January. That's the downside to heat pumps for living space.

Over the weekend I discovered there are radiant WALL heating systems. It was quite a surprise. These are 4x8’ sections that go under a wall or Sheetrock. I need 72’ x 4’ high that would go under the T1-11 I used on the lower walls behind the benches. I’m excited about it but I must get the estimate first. If it’s realistic, great… if not, back to the ceiling mounted plan

IMG_7689.jpeg

@WarDamnEagle Also I failed to mention…. I had my first real condensation experience. It had been in the 20’s Fahrenheit for several days and then a few 44 degree days. Inside the pole barn was actually so deeply cold it felt like it went straight to my bones. I could not stay in there than 15 minutes and went back outside. When I did, the warm air was refreshing but a damp rainy day and I wanted to warm up the place so I opened the 2 large garage doors. It was like those doorways where you have a blower curtain to keep one room air temp from invading another, but no blower of course.

within 10 minutes, everything was moisture coated…some heavily,
all the vehicles, tools, parts, pieces anything inside. I fully understand the concept but this is the first time I had that experience and it was an eye opener. it was interesting to see it occur and build and ….Surely something to consider. A few years of that process could ruin a ton of “stuff”

@WarDamnEagle Also I failed to mention…. I had my first real condensation experience. It had been in the 20’s Fahrenheit for several days and then a few 44 degree days. Inside the pole barn was actually so deeply cold it felt like it went straight to my bones. I could not stay in there than 15 minutes and went back outside. When I did, the warm air was refreshing but a damp rainy day and I wanted to warm up the place so I opened the 2 large garage doors. It was like those doorways where you have a blower curtain to keep one room air temp from invading another, but no blower of course.

within 10 minutes, everything was moisture coated…some heavily,
all the vehicles, tools, parts, pieces anything inside. I fully understand the concept but this is the first time I had that experience and it was an eye opener. it was interesting to see it occur and build and ….Surely something to consider. A few years of that process could ruin a ton of “stuff”
That's the absolute worst; cold with a major dose of damp on top. That's why you need something to keep the temperature from getting too low, regardless of whether or not you are in the shop.

Al do you have a thermometer in your shop? I was just wondering what the temperature gets down to in your building?

Al do you have a thermometer in your shop? I was just wondering what the temperature gets down to in your building?
No Michael, I should put some kind of recording thermometer in there. I do have an old gas station thermometer but I usually don’t look at it…
given all the apps, I’m sure it’s a easy thing to do. I am a bit out of action for the next month or so. Some doctor wants to put a new knee in my leg and I must have told him ok…

I am so very hesitant going thru with this but I have heard nothing but “ I had that done and should have done it sooner”. I hate to give up the time and momentum I have developed out in the shop, need to get the heating going whatever that is going to be. I have a Holley EFI for the FJ40 sitting in a box for 14 months or so, a load of small stuff to do on each truck and several boxes of small parts and pieces to change…I;m sure you know the drill all to well….. Since I am not able to do most of this work with this situation as it stands, I don’t believe I have much choice.

So, I will read the manual, study the diagrams and disassemble stuff in my head while it sit around and practice flexing my knee..AND find some high tech cheap thermometer 😉

Good luck with your upcoming surgery Al. I haven’t been through that, yet. But I have several friends that have had it done. These days it’s pretty quick and less painful than it use to be. I don’t think you’re going to have as much downtime as you are anticipating, if everything goes well. I have an antique thermometer in my shop that I monitor almost every day.

Well @Michael B had the surgery this morning at 7AM. A true whirlwind of activity before I knew it, I had woken up on another planet. It was the most surreal feeling I’d have in my lifetime aside from my “white light’ experience back in 2005. Indescribable ! On the other hand Doctor said the nerve block would last another 36 hours and no pain until Wednesday? Percocet and Celebrex are my good friends for the next week.

Doc did say he sees an excellent recovery but be prepared for the pain for a few days after the block wears. So as so many say
” no pictures, it didn’t happen’. So, I got pics

IMG_1880.jpeg

Congratulations if the block lasts a few days. When I torn my quad-tendon a three years ago, the repair required opening my right knee wide open. They projected that the block would last a few days, but it was gone after 10 hours or so. We were not prepared with the meds and the understanding of the dosage required for the block burning off early.

You might want to be prepared in case they miss the mark with the block.

Congratulations if the block lasts a few days. When I torn my quad-tendon a three years ago, the repair required opening my right knee wide open. They projected that the block would last a few days, but it was gone after 10 hours or so. We were not prepared with the meds and the understanding of the dosage required for the block burning off early.

You might want to be prepared in case they miss the mark with the block.
Thanks for the advice! My daughter went to the pharmacy while my wife drove me home from the surgical center and within an hour, we had all of the pills…. That heads up is bit frightening… I do Not have a good pain threshold. In fact, I could probably use anesthesia for a bad splinter 😢

We found out afterward that the instructions for the pain meds were based on an average need.
i.e., I could have taken an increased dose when the pain was very intense to catch up where it could be effective in taking the edge off, rather than toughing it out.
I got through those days, but it could have been a little less stressful if we understood such details upfront.

Good luck. Best on a speedy and complete recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom