3 on the tree versus 3 on floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71 pig that is currently a 3 on the tree. I'm in the middle of a frame off resto and was thinking about converting it to a on-the-floor trans. I found a 3 speed on the floor for a reasonable price, but I'm sure it'll just bolt on to the clutch and transfer case out of the box. Does anyone know if this 3 on the floor will bolt to my existing 3 on the tree transfer case and clutch?

thanks!

I have owned several 3-on-tree cars and if they are adjust well they shift just fine. You also get the added floor space for legs when you have three on the bench.

I also think in this day and age it is a bit of a theft deterant.

If it were mine I would leave the shifter in the column.

if it shifts good i also vote to leave it. its fun to drive. if you change the whole trans(you dont have to for floor conv.) then do a 4 speed at least.

3 on the tree gets old after driving for 10 minutes. Maybe mine is worn but it has become a hassle. I need to get the 4 speed in there.

for me I converted mine from the column to the floor, the previous owner had really hacked up the linkage system and it was in rough shape, it was an easy conversion and I think cleans things up a bit. The only thing you will have to do it replace the top plate. You may want to remove all the column linkage as well, I did and it cleans things up quite a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Noah

Don't get me wrong....3 on the tree has a cool factor. I kinda don't wanna convert mine over just for the "how it left the factory feeling". Plus it's so uncommon nowadays.
BUT....I like to drive my 55 and column shift is akward and slow. Anybody got all the floor shift stuff for sale? I"ll try both and keep my parts if I wanna swap back:grinpimp:

I like to drive my 55 and column shift is akward and slow. :grinpimp:

and how is that different than driving a stock piggie? akward and slow

I have some floor shift setups but I'm gone until Labor day.

Hey Fellas,

thanks for all the feed back. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the three on tree for now...but we'll see.

Spencer

As always, agree with Jesse.

In my opinion, it is a waste of time to put it on the floor unless you are adding a 4spd trans. A column shifter with good bushings works great. I think I want a 5 on the tree.

ditto...i was looking into how to make a 4spd work on the tree when i had to get rid of my old pig. the pickle would be column except i'm going to be wheeling and for a short person tree sucks. if it was a daily driver, i'd do tree in a second

People still keep three speeds? I threw mine away..... terrible tranny with crappy gearing. BUT, I do see the beauty in keeping it stock and on the column has mega cool factor. Good luck!

related note, for a 1971 US spec FJ40, was this a transition year and some had 3 on the tree shifting for the J30 trans and some had the shifter on the floor oem from the factory? I am buying an FJ40 1971 US model and it has the shifter on the floor. PO says it was like that from the factory because it is a transition year
also, for 1971, were the hubcaps OEM or the later style for example that were on a 1978
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom