2UZFE a343F/HF2AV swap into FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just wonder if internals are different. Talked to several Supra trans builders that said if I sent them a trans they could verify internals. I believe I found the 340 has a few less clutch packs a the 343 in a few different locations. Those trans builders machine cases and change steel to increase clutch counts and there for contact area to hold high HP Supra builds that are north of 1000hp with the same family of trans. I’ve just never had the need or time. TC seems to be the weak link so far with the diesel swap community, that I have been more a part of.

thanks for documenting all this. I have 91 fj80 that i plan to swap a 2uz into.
you are my new best friend....ok ...maybe just my hero.......

If I only knew what I knew now I would have purchased a 98 - 2001 a343f from A Land Cruiser 100 since i believe it mates perfect to the harness of the 2uz and follows the plug and play model I want to do.

thought this was a notable quote that's worth bringing out to the front!

When I did this in my 55, I used a Tundra 2UZ, an early 100 series trans and TC and it was almost all plug and play. I did use a later engine that had drive by wire so that was a little bit of a pain but still not bad.

When I did this in my 55, I used a Tundra 2UZ, an early 100 series trans and TC and it was almost all plug and play. I did use a later engine that had drive by wire so that was a little bit of a pain but still not bad.
Yes, it's a pleasure to get a response from you Scott, because I read a number of your posts from years past which were very beneficial. I thought the 100 a343f would be the best option, but I came across the 96 a343 with the TC for $300.. I just couldn't pass it up. looking at the 96 TC, it's clear they changed the speedo cable to electronic pulse, but I'll probably use the 91 gauge cluster and continue using the analog cable to make it easy else I need to get a 96 cluster and wiring.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

got a bunch of popcorn.... FYI, I did not feel that I needed the remote filter kit where I mounted my 2uz. I have the 100 series tranny also, only had to modify the plug for the shifter indicator locator using a tundra harness.

not saying it is not close....
1576637656417.png

Yes, it's a pleasure to get a response from you Scott, because I read a number of your posts from years past which were very beneficial. I thought the 100 a343f would be the best option, but I came across the 96 a343 with the TC for $300.. I just couldn't pass it up. looking at the 96 TC, it's clear they changed the speedo cable to electronic pulse, but I'll probably use the 91 gauge cluster and continue using the analog cable to make it easy else I need to get a 96 cluster and wiring.
I have a 100 series speed sensor in my 96 100 series so even though they appear different the same pulse and plug are being used. i know it doesn't help you with the 91 cable driven version.

I just wonder if internals are different. Talked to several Supra trans builders that said if I sent them a trans they could verify internals. I believe I found the 340 has a few less clutch packs a the 343 in a few different locations. Those trans builders machine cases and change steel to increase clutch counts and there for contact area to hold high HP Supra builds that are north of 1000hp with the same family of trans. I’ve just never had the need or time. TC seems to be the weak link so far with the diesel swap community, that I have been more a part of.
That is for sure! the 343 has more clutch packs and larger overdrive gear from what I saw. I have to dig up pics for that.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

got a bunch of popcorn.... FYI, I did not feel that I needed the remote filter kit where I mounted my 2uz. I have the 100 series tranny also, only had to modify the plug for the shifter indicator locator using a tundra harness.

not saying it is not close....
View attachment 2159409
That is great to know, I ended with an Ebay thing.. I may reconsider :-(

That is great to know, I ended with an Ebay thing.. I may reconsider :-(
thanks for the link , I might have to go that way if the engine rotates much. Actually my big issue has been with AC lines as they are right next to the frame rail. If you find lines that work, let me know. As you can see the lower line needs to be like the upper with the direct 90 degree turn.

1576677824488.png

thanks for the link , I might have to go that way if the engine rotates much. Actually my big issue has been with AC lines as they are right next to the frame rail. If you find lines that work, let me know. As you can see the lower line needs to be like the upper with the direct 90 degree turn.

View attachment 2159642
Wow that is tight! Those AC lines look the same as my Sequoia donor. When I get to that point will have to look into options. I want everything engineered as if Toyota did it.

I found later model sequoia's in the junkyard that appear to have different line sets, but with different ends, thus likely different compressor, and likely different brackets.... my point is may be an option there....

I found later model sequoia's in the junkyard that appear to have different line sets, but with different ends, thus likely different compressor, and likely different brackets.... my point is may be an option there....
good point.. I'll have to make my way to the Boneyard soon.

So the oil filter location thing: I came across a local guy with a 99 sc400 engine. Ended up buying it for $100 and plan to use the rear sump oil pan, pump pickup, windage tray, oil filter holder and a few other things. I did not realize the oil filter faced the rear on all rear sump pans in the UZ family. The difference between this 1uz is there is no oil cooling like the 2uz. The pics below show the 1uz adapter on the left and 2uz on the right. Wondering if I can move the cooling assembly to the 1uz adapter.

20191219_180456.jpg

20191219_182253.jpg

20191219_182420.jpg

20191219_175300.jpg

So the oil filter location thing: I came across a local guy with a 99 sc400 engine. Ended up buying it for $100 and plan to use the rear sump oil pan, pump pickup, windage tray, oil filter holder and a few other things. I did not realize the oil filter faced the rear on all rear sump pans in the UZ family. The difference between this 1uz is there is no oil cooling like the 2uz. The pics below show the 1uz adapter on the left and 2uz on the right. Wondering if I can move the cooling assembly to the 1uz adapter.

View attachment 2161312

View attachment 2161314

View attachment 2161315

View attachment 2161324
looks like i can swap the cooler of the oil filter, need to see what it looks like in the truck before this is final. I always like relocating filters for better accessibility and better cooling, but factory parts is the goal and they always seem to be better made.

20191220_084538.jpg

20191220_084721.jpg

20191220_084727.jpg

this is a great resource I have been seeing a few rusted out Sequoia's (everything in Maine rusts) for cheep and thought it would be a great swap. thanks for taking the time to help out the community.

Reactions: KTP
Looks to have been a few months since this one has been updated by the OP. Is the project still underway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom