$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're in Alabama so maybe no rust under the windshield and rear glass but IMHO/IME those two locations tend to have rust under the gasket, especially the windshield if it's been replaced in the past. So sometimes it may be better to remove that glass (if done by a glass shop) and then replaced after the vehicle is painted.

I agree it's much better to have the windshield removed. However, it would likely have to be replaced with new assuming it was installed correctly with sealant on both sides of the gasket. Just something to keep in mind. Not saying it can't be removed without damage but it's not that easy.

"---why they would mask lights instead of just removing them---"

Agree, most people would remove the headlamp assemblies but on the other hand there are too many gorillas who might end up snapping the mounting brackets, made worse as some of the brackets (IME) often have cracks in them. So maybe the shop experienced that before and had to buy new headlamps for the customer??

"---why they would mask lights instead of just removing them---"

Agree, most people would remove the headlamp assemblies but on the other hand there are too many gorillas who might end up snapping the mounting brackets, made worse as some of the brackets (IME) often have cracks in them. So maybe the shop experienced that before and had to buy new headlamps for the customer??
I’m guessing it’s lack of storage and a reason to have a good accountability system. It’s the easier button.

You're in Alabama so maybe no rust under the windshield and rear glass but IMHO/IME those two locations tend to have rust under the gasket, especially the windshield if it's been replaced in the past. So sometimes it may be better to remove that glass (if done by a glass shop) and then replaced after the vehicle is painted.

Can't tell from the photos if they're taped off, but the very long drip rail moldings could be (very carefully) taken off so they could paint the metal underneath, then replace the moldings.

The "roof gutter" is actually a seam where the roof panel was attached to the rest of the body and there's factory seam sealer in that gutter which cracks with age. That should be removed if cracked badly as there could be rust underneath, or at a minimum new seam sealer could be applied before painting. Not an autobody expert however.

The problem with removing the drip rail moldings IME however is that unless 2-3 people handle those nine foot long thin moldings to ensure they don't get bent, then they will get damaged. If one person removes them by himself they will bend (and kink) under their own weight, guaranteed. So maybe best to leave them alone unless it's done right.

FWIW
Serious question but what is the benefit of saving the drip rail moldings other than having some "chrome" up there?

Those seem totally worthless to me and cant imagine why you would repaint a rig and try to save them?

Do they provide a function or just an aesthetic?

Serious question but what is the benefit of saving the drip rail moldings other than having some "chrome" up there?

Those seem totally worthless to me and cant imagine why you would repaint a rig and try to save them?

Do they provide a function or just an aesthetic?
I know you didn’t ask me but my guess is aesthetic. One side of mine tore off on the highway so I got home and removed the other. Seems to have no purpose.

I know you didn’t ask me but my guess is aesthetic. One side of mine tore off on the highway so I got home and removed the other. Seems to have no purpose.

I appreciate that, and honestly I was hoping that was the answer!

I removed mine recently because they were the nicest part of my rig and nobody has time for that!

Purely aesthetic. I ripped mine off the day I got it home (they were partially mangled).

Yes, purely cosmetic for appearance. In the US market they came coated with black rubber, but underneath they are chromed steel. In some other markets they came from the factory chromed only.

IMHO they help with the appearance (assuming they aren't peeling)
and on dark body colors the chrome molding looks good also (non-US models).

We all have our own tastes of course.

FWIW I ordered a couple sets of the drip rails and that's how I know they are bent very easily as we kept getting one good drip rail and one bent drip rail.

With further investigation we found out that the gorillas at the warehouse for my local dealer removed one side from it's individual box and put it into the box for the other side to save shipping space on the truck apparently. Problem is that the molding is so long and so thin (metal) it bends and kinks under it's own weight. So the warehouse guy not thinking about what he was doing (multiple times) just grabbed the molding swung it around and placed it (bent like a pretzel) into the other box. So I got one good side and one bad side. The parts manager was unable to get the warehouse to change it's methods so when we reordered the drip rails they came in bent again (because the warehouse pulled them out of their boxes).

And that's the reason IMO why Toyota shipped the drip rails all the way from Japan individually in a 10 foot long box, one each, to prevent them from being damaged.

FWIW

Yes, purely cosmetic for appearance. In the US market they came coated with black rubber, but underneath they are chromed steel. In some other markets they came from the factory chromed only.
This appears to be what mine are. Mine are not bad but some of the rubber has worn off and the chrome is peeking out. I was going to let them paint the truck then hit the rails with some Plasti-Dip or something.

IIRC someone else painted the rails black after removing the molding.

For a random reference, The nearest maaco paint shop to me quoted $2,500 for paint plus $500 per door/jam over the phone without seeing the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom