2020 Magnuson Supercharger... Well Maybe...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think if I was starting from scratch I would use an Eaton TVS R1740 and relocate the alternator to the exhaust side and put the supercharger on the intake side and create an intake manifold with a built in a/w cooler like most modern SC's. Could be a pretty slick design for people that want a supercharger.
This is exactly what I have always thought. Something like the old JacksonRacing superchargers for Honda’s.

35C89C97-93C6-4B93-943A-AFC7F08F58B1.jpeg
5ACF9569-F4BE-472F-BE49-33624194E5CC.jpeg

Last edited:
oh that’s pretty cool, yep exactly like that but with an a/w intercooler sandwiches between the blower and intake.
Bingo! I’ve seen someone do just that with the one pictured above. Pretty slick.

I’d pick this over a turbo. I do a lot of rock crawling and the low end instantaneous constant linear torque is what’s needed instead of high end power. Sign me up.

I don't think I've ever floored my stock engine while rock climbing, recipe for damage. Why do we need more low end torque? For me it's towing only I need more power for. 30 mph up some passes, I don't like when I have it floored and it downshifts to 1st.

I don't think I've ever floored my stock engine while rock climbing, recipe for damage. Why do we need more low end torque? For me it's towing only I need more power for. 30 mph up some passes, I don't like when I have it floored and it downshifts to 1st.
It’s nice to leave it at 1200-1500rpm on a hand throttle and muscle through obstacles torque converter locked since we don’t have any type of crawler gears. Also I drive to the trails and wouldn’t mind the extra powaaaaaa.

why does it always need to be about TuRBO’s? We’re taking about superchargers which by the way WITS END Does not make.

Let me know when you can buy a new supercharger. I'm well aware of what the conversation is about and what WITS END does/doesn't make. Most of the people who want more power out of their land cruiser just want a bolt on kit that isn't going to effect reliability too much and be CARB legal.

Well because A) turbos are more efficient than superchargers and B) Wits end's turbo kit makes twice the peak HP / TQ of the old out of production Magnuson unit. Other than that I'm really baffled as to why you'd be saying something like "TuRBOs".

Really interested in what you come up with. Sounds like you have the necessary resources and drive to get some type of supercharger developed. I am in a similar situation as not being able to run the wits end turbo, but mine is because I have a 94 with the older OBD1. From my research looks like the only place that makes one is Bullet supercharger down in Aussie. I have contacted them about getting one with the xede computer programmed to my make and model. They could supply, price is on par with turbo, will see maybe after I do the engine swap I will look into it.
I will keep you apprised of all aspects as I move forward with this project. I have just procured several parts (about 14,000 USD), and many of them are being shipped at this time. I appreciate your positive input. It is nice when other enthusiasts have and evidence sincere acknowledgment and appreciation for their love for these vehicles (the true first and last all-terrain off-road vehicle).

I think if I was starting from scratch I would use an Eaton TVS R1740 and relocate the alternator to the exhaust side and put the supercharger on the intake side and create an intake manifold with a built in a/w cooler like most modern SC's. Could be a pretty slick design for people that want a supercharger.
How does the Eaton TVS R1740 handle with the TLC? I know the Engine is solid; I am just worried about cooling issues. Although I usually drive my 1993 daily, my 95 still does get a lot of use (Mainly on the mountain). I am also in Southern California (Corona). It gets pretty hot here. I have never over heated; however, I did crack my radiator about 6 years ago and get towed in to town and bought a new one online and replaced it. This was before I put the bumper and winch on and then welded it to the frame. I could always unto the 2 welded points; I made them small and clean. I just cant carry the bumper. I had to mount it to the garage using pulley straps and my bench winch, and then stabilize it with free weights. What a PITA that was. My back and breasts hurt for a week!

why does it always need to be about TuRBO’s? We’re taking about superchargers which by the way WITS END Does not make.
I started this literally trying to get help for a project, and I was immediately made fun of an ridiculed because want and have to keep my vehicle with OEM emissions per California law. I am the original owner of my 1993. I honestly believe they are trying to cease the market of the supercharger by force so they can have a better chance with their Turbo project. I had more people interested in my project and more views/comments/pms/input in 10 hours than they had in 3 years! Obviously there is a market for a supercharger for the 80 series.

I started this literally trying to get help for a project, and I was immediately made fun of an ridiculed because want and have to keep my vehicle with OEM emissions per California law. I am the original owner of my 1993. I honestly believe they are trying to cease the market of the supercharger by force so they can have a better chance with their Turbo project. I had more people interested in my project and more views/comments/pms/input in 10 hours than they had in 3 years! Obviously there is a market for a supercharger for the 80 series.

What.

The major appeal to any forced induction package is the ability to stick on the little "CARB" sticker. Magnuson has no interest in bringing back a product they created that has a CARB sticker. In any regards a properly sized turbo can have closely the same spool characteristics as a supercharger without the engine drag created by it.

If for some reason you need more torque between 800-1500 rpms then you're going about this the wrong way. Might want to look at those pesky mechanical things in the lower end section of a transfer case.

Yeah screw those turbo guys I hear they are jerks. I am sure they are just doing it to get rich. They probably don’t even like Land Cruisers like us. Let’s talk Superchargers. Have you figured out what parts you can buy and what you’ll have to make? Like a list or something? Are you going to try and cool the air out of the supercharger? I hear it gets pretty hot.

Last edited:
What.

The major appeal to any forced induction package is the ability to stick on the little "CARB" sticker. Magnuson has no interest in bringing back a product they created that has a CARB sticker. In any regards a properly sized turbo can have closely the same spool characteristics as a supercharger without the engine drag created by it.

If for some reason you need more torque between 800-1500 rpms then you're going about this the wrong way. Might want to look at those pesky mechanical things in the lower end section of a transfer case.
I spoke with Magnuson on the phone three times last week. They are very interested. More to come!

I spoke with Magnuson on the phone three times last week. They are very interested. More to come!

I'll help you out.... every sales guy is very interested over the phone, I doubt this ever becomes a reality unless you buy X quantity of units to justify the price for them to do so.

So I was on Instagram yesterday... Which I usually just check to see half naked girls and see what our vendors are building at their shops.

Then I see this post from North West Toys, LLC that says they are going to order 50 units in partnership with LC Egineering. (No clue who either of these companies are)

I see they are doing some updates to the design, I'm not technical in this department so that could be or or bad.

Then the banger retail for $6,695.00, I know the last run was $4,375.00 from Magnuson. Not sure if their improvements are worth a 53% increase in cost.

I called Magnuson and asked if I could buy a unit directly, and was told probably not as they will go threw a distributor, and that nothing has been produced yet.

The Magnuson rep that they had a meeting two weeks ago about bringing back the 80 series program and that they were still in talks.

So just based on the info I have you may or may not be able to plunk down 7K for a supercharger soon.

Please keep this a tech based convo. I know we are going to get 1000000 people scoffing at the price and saying a turbo is better.. and I don't disagree.
#KeepItSemiClean

View attachment 2404386
View attachment 2404388
View attachment 2404389
View attachment 2404390
What ever came of this? $7k is steep...wondering if someone else put together a group to buy 50 at a more reasonable price??

What ever came of this? $7k is steep...wondering if someone else put together a group to buy 50 at a more reasonable price??

No clue about the other guys. They stopped taking pre orders on the 18th of last month. So no clue if it’s gonna happen or not.
@jadedTLC1995 just posted above that he is working on his own order now.

No clue about the other guys. They stopped taking pre orders on the 18th of last month. So no clue if it’s gonna happen or not.
@jadedTLC1995 just posted above that he is working on his own order now.
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Please PM me if you are interested in the supercharger OEM for legal street use approved by the CARB. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Car

Just an update since I haven’t been on here. It looks like Magnuson was willing to do another run. However the two companies couldn’t get the 50 orders at 7k a pop. If any of you Cruiser Moguls want to go after Magnuson and have the 200k to buy them, I’ll take one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom