2020 Heritage Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure it will be great, but I'm thinking it's going to be a much lighter duty vehicle that the 200.

My personal belief is that the 200 will go down as the most desirable Land Cruiser because it's going to have old school heavy duty construction blended with modern comforts and IFS. I think the future of the vehicle is going to be redirected to a slightly lighter duty base now that there are many off-the-shelf counterparts to be used by the traditional "commercial LC customers" as a result of the strengthened and more particularly specialized military industrial complex.

Is this purely speculation or do you have a reference for this?

The landcruiser has long been Toyota’s flagship vehicle, and as far as I know will remain that way.

For them to compromise downward in terms of the core toyota values of durability, longevity.. “toughness”.. would be a hell of a move.

I’m particularly suspect of the turbo v6 but haven’t seen -ANY- information (yet) suggesting the rest of the vehicle will be any less robust than the 200. Hell even the 200 had the explicit design goal of being the toughest landcruiser ever built. A change of course in that goal would be very surprising to me.

[...] I think the future of the vehicle is going to be redirected to a slightly lighter duty base [...]

[...] The 300 will probably begin debuting controversial features such as small displacement turbo engines, hybridized systems, aluminum and composite components, etc. I guess time will tell.
You’re forgetting that the Land Cruiser sells 200x more cruisers outside of North America, and that those markets demand heavy duty trucks.

Smaller displacement like every non-NA Land Cruiser and all those prior to the 100?

Modern engine technology doesn’t require larger displacement and modern turbos are far better than those of the past.

That said, I’d still prefer a standard V8.

285/65r18 fit perfectly without rubbing on oem setup. FWIW, if your going to actually use the truck to put people and luggage in on oem suspension, you’re better off without front spacers. The stock rear springs a let pretty soft and compress quickly when loaded. A little rake is best imho, and even what I opted for with my setup; which is more mixed use than “over landing”

You’re forgetting that the Land Cruiser sells 200x more cruisers outside of North America, and that those markets demand heavy duty trucks.

Smaller displacement like every non-NA Land Cruiser and all those prior to the 100?

Modern engine technology doesn’t require larger displacement and modern turbos are far better than those of the past.

Right. I’m not talking about volumetric efficiency: I’m talking about simplicity and ease of maintenance. I know DI and complicated air/water twin turbos are the future, I’m just not happy about it. I’ve been down that road with performance cars. Their power is incredible, but it’s comes with a lot more broken parts.

The other part that becomes interesting about turbos is the tuning potential. The 3.5 V6 with some sort of mild hybrid and a tune would be 500+ hp no problem. It seem like it would feel like driving a Viper because of the huge torque down low.

If anyone can get turbo reliability right it is toyota. My concern is with sustained high-output demands like towing. That is a lot of thermal output from such a small package.

Is this confirmed with no CarPlay? I saw that Toyota was retrofitting some 2018 models and its started to be expanded across the line. It’s almost time to move on from my 2017 and would love if the 2020 had CarPlay. My dealer has no info other than MSRP.

It’s not coming for 2020. The LC headunit is very old. It would take an all new headunit to support CarPlay and there is no way Toyota would spend that money for such a tiny run of LandCruisers just a year or two before it is replaced.

Most of the models that have received CarPlay have either been completely redesigned or refreshed. In contrast, the 2020 LC is basically unchanged.

The LC already gets a different engine in overseas markets. Even if the LC gets a gas turbo V6 in the US, I expect it will retain the diesel V8 turbo in most other markets.

FYI: if anyone is interested in one, let me know, I can order end of June. 1st day of production is Aug 1st. Looking at Sept-October probably best case scenario for arrival. I’m guessing I can get more than a few because of the allocation methodology based on my sell rate. First one is sold, anything after that is up for grabs. I typically sell at invoice (78k) but these will likely be $2k more MSRP or so, and I’ll collect a few more thousand in margin for limited availability. Invoice +$2k should be about $82k. Msrp should be $90k. PM if interested or call/text 317-385-9572

Can you imagine one day waking up to discover.... 70 series Landcruisers sitting in the show room in the U.S.? A real pretty white one, 5 speed, diesel, lockers. mmmm. Thats what I'm talking about!

Can you imagine one day waking up to discover.... 70 series Landcruisers sitting in the show room in the U.S.? A real pretty white one, 5 speed, diesel, lockers. mmmm. Thats what I'm talking about!

That will never happen. The 70 Series can’t pass US safety regulations and the diesel can’t pass US emissions.

No, I don’t want a 70 series and I suspect that while many of us are attracted to the forbidden fruit, I suspect most would not like to actually drive one on a daily basis. The solid front axle and leaf springs make it ride like poo, it doesn’t have much articulation in the back, and the diesel V8 is gutless with the factory tune.

I think @M1911 hit the nail on the head. The 70-series scores big on expedition style points. But when it comes to it, the 200-series is a superior vehicle by most objective measures.

The Australian's, having both models, often compares and contrasts between the two. I really enjoyed this one. Go to @15:54 if you want a summary.

If you don't already own a 200, I would not even give the spacers any credit more than as a simply aesthetic point. The OEM suspension is simply Mercury Grand Marquis level. 100% engineered for comfort, and it actually does a pretty commendable job at that. If you are looking for ground clearance, performance in least bit, etc, aftermarket is the only way to go. Factory suspension is like riding along as coffee in someones coffee cup that they are holding up in the air as they drive down down a bumpy road, trying not to spill you. You won't get spilled, but damned if there is any firmness or control in the least bit.

I guess I just misremember all the things I have done with my stock 200, including all the Mercury Marquis I didn’t see on the trails. :flipoff2:

That will never happen. The 70 Series can’t pass US safety regulations and the diesel can’t pass US emissions.

No, I don’t want a 70 series and I suspect that while many of us are attracted to the forbidden fruit, I suspect most would not like to actually drive one on a daily basis. The solid front axle and leaf springs make it ride like poo, it doesn’t have much articulation in the back, and the diesel V8 is gutless with the factory tune.

The only parts of the 70 I wish for are the flatter surfaces both inside and out... and the solid front axle. About flat stuff... To me...the most challenging thing about utilizing the 200’s interior is its curvy-ness. Similar challenges externally in some instances.

Roof racks, interior panels and general tweaking of stuff would really ease with a few straight lines to work with.

Other than that...

Last edited:
The Australian's, having both models, often compares and contrasts between the two. I really enjoyed this one. Go to @15:54 if you want a summary.

I forgot about the narrow rear axle. When Toyota dropped in the turbodiesel V8, they widened the front track to fit the motor. But they didn't widen the rear axle to match. As a result, the 70 series is apparently a bitch on sand. This can be fixed with a wider rear axle, but that is very expensive.

I believe there are also rear coil spring conversions as well. Also, the 70 series only comes with a manual transmission and I greatly prefer an automatic when driving offroad.

The cost to fix the rear axle track, convert to coil springs, and convert to an automatic transmission would like reach the MSRP of a compact car. And that doesn't cover pulling out the entire interior to Dynamat it. By that point, you might as well start with a 200 series.

I know, different strokes. I think the tray-back 70 series certainly has a lot of coolness factor, but I'd rather be driving a 200.

AEV did a tray-back Bison for the Colorado ZR2. I know the dings on AEV and there’s a reason I’m driving a Toyota and not a Chevy (anymore) but this is pretty cool.

I’d assume there’ll be a tray-back conversion for the Gladiator shortly. Side note: the Gladiator has REALLY grown on me. If a 200 wasn’t in the cards for whatever reason, a lightly modified Rubicon would be pretty fun to have.

Both of these are expo-worthy, available in the US, meet emissions, and don’t require massive drivetrain modifications.

Personally though? I’ll stick with the 200 and rent a u-haul trailer for $20/day when I need the bed.

Does anyone have the part number for the D pillar badge? I wanted to add some bling to the sides of my 2008. The real FJ40 badges have bolts to attach the badge and rather not cut off the mounting hardware if I can get the heritage ones that glue or stick on.

Pretty much.
As a 75 owner, it's not in the same ballpark as the 200 (in stock form).
Go to your local Kubota dealer if you want an idea of how a stock 70 feels.

With all of that said, Perfect! I am aware of why we will not experience that fine machine in the "Nanny States" I'm 62, I will be fine. I am micromanaged daily whether I like it or not. Funny I made it this far without an intervention, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom