Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work utilizing that space. I’m actually going to drill and install a new grommet underneath in the rear tucked up a bit to be above any water line. I’ve got a ton of lights and accessories to install that has wiring.
Thanks!

Ill keep a eye on your thread.

Thanks!

Ill keep a eye on your thread.
Hopefully you find it worth it. LOL I hope to get to it sometime in the spring. I’ve got to get a bunch of my lights (pods and bars), big rig air horn (because, reasons), and eventually a CB antenna. I really hope I can finish up my rig before we move to Idaho. I think we’ve got about a year or so left.

Hopefully you find it worth it. LOL I hope to get to it sometime in the spring. I’ve got to get a bunch of my lights (pods and bars), big rig air horn (because, reasons), and eventually a CB antenna. I really hope I can finish up my rig before we move to Idaho. I think we’ve got about a year or so left.
We just had friends move to Couer d Alene on the lake, Idaho is beautiful!

We just had friends move to Couer d Alene on the lake, Idaho is beautiful!
Have family in Coeur d’Alene and friends in Bonners Ferry. We’ll be looking to move to either the Bonners Ferry area or Salmon.

Here is the wire routing path for my dust lights, it runs down the left side rear door jamb. I run solar and scene light wires down the right in similar fashion. I notched the taillight housing and glued the wires in place with white RTV.

View attachment 3194579View attachment 3194580View attachment 3194581View attachment 3194583View attachment 3194584
Question. How durable is that RTV? Does it indeed hold those wires without it cracking since after you've installed it?

A couple of quick mods this weekend. The GX is well know for the plastic cladding that restricts its of road capability. My rear bumper cover had already taken a few hits and my concern was ripping the whole thing off on the trail. First I removed the spoiler trim, then I cut approximately 3” off the cover. This has afforded me better departure angle. The mud flaps are now exposed to damage when backing up and getting sucked in so I made some cable restraints. Not sure the cable I used will be durable enough. We shall see. Lastly I was able to relocate the trailer plug connector up higher out of harms way. The receiver hitch should protect it. Most of this is temporary until I find/purchase a rear bumper I like. Before someone states it yes the final cut was filed smooth.

View attachment 2470198View attachment 2470199View attachment 2470200View attachment 2470201
I've already smashed my trailer plug couple years ago. I need to replace it and like you, tuck it up out of harms way.

Question. How durable is that RTV? Does it indeed hold those wires without it cracking since after you've installed it?
Being that it's silicone it can only become brittle if it freezes. So unless you're in -67° F environment, it will not freeze.
Also, as a rule, silicone will not break down for about 50 to 500 years.

I've already smashed my trailer plug couple years ago. I need to replace it and like you, tuck it up out of harms way.
I drilled a hole in my Dobinson’s rear bumper and mounted a trailer plug in the bumper. I hit mine every time I went Offroad. I think I got a Curt one that was pre-wired for plug and play.

Reactions: r2m
I drilled a hole in my Dobinson’s rear bumper and mounted a trailer plug in the bumper. I hit mine every time I went Offroad. I think I got a Curt one that was pre-wired for plug and play.
Do you have a link for that "Curt" plug? I have little experience with trailers so I was planning on just getting the factory Lexus one (probably $$$).
I'd appreciate finding another option!

Being that it's silicone it can only become brittle if it freezes. So unless you're in -67° F environment, it will not freeze.
Also, as a rule, silicone will not break down for about 50 to 500 years.
I mean I AM moving to Idaho (or MT/WY) so it could be cold! LOL. Good to know.

• Haha
I drilled a hole in my Dobinson’s rear bumper and mounted a trailer plug in the bumper.
I did that with the factory plug when I mounted the Coastal rear bumper. Having it hang underneath would have defeated the purpose of the bumper, really.

Last edited:
Nope, its all good. The right side was getting dirty looking after a couple years, scraped it of and a little Gu Gone cleaned right and re applied RTV.

Nope, its all good. The right side was getting dirty looking after a couple years, scraped it of and a little Gu Gone cleaned right and re applied RTV.
That's cool. I plan on using this idea once I get my basket on the roof and some lights up there. How many lights do you think I can send wires down that way? I'd like to get a pod on each of the four sides/ corners (Rigid scene pods) and a small single row light bar out back.

That's cool. I plan on using this idea once I get my basket on the roof and some lights up there. How many lights do you think I can send wires down that way? I'd like to get a pod on each of the four sides/ corners (Rigid scene pods) and a small single row light bar out back.
I have two Rigid scene lights (one on each side of the roof rack) and my solar running down the right side, on the left is just my rear dust lights. I could fit more on the left but don't want or need more lights. I try to avoid being on the trail at night. We have very large animals that roam at night.

If you can ground to the roof rack mount, where it screws into the roof rack, you can eliminate at least one (ground) wire having to be routed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom