Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s been better than 20 years since I’ve built a new rig. I’ve had my hands in many builds other than my own and enjoy the process immensely.

The subject is a 2018 Lexus GX 460, 22,000 miles on the clock, 18 months old with factory warranty still available, black leather interior.

I recently sold my 2000 Taco with 385,000 miles and having such great service from that and my 1989 Toyota pick up I knew that the fruit wouldn’t fall far from the family tree.

I selected a SUV this time around for a few reasons in particular a GX.

*Higher GVWR than a new Taco.
*No GVWR loss adding a canopy.
*No replacement for displacement, V8!
*Phenomenal reliability track record of the GX.
*Dry, warm, and for the most part dust free interior space at the end of the day.

I will be removing the second and third row seats to accommodate a drawer/sleep platform build. By removing the seats, the goal is to displace the weight of the drawer/platform with no net gain in weight.

One of the main goals of this build is to stay under GVWR. My previous build, a 2000 Taco was overweight for most of its 20 years.

This main use for this rig will be training, camping, and skiing. I have a daily commuter, so no useless miles being added to the odometer.

6B96B514-F6BA-4B35-BBDE-5D16951B62B3.jpeg
0306F64A-8920-44DE-8853-404589CE0A91.jpeg
61E367F2-D5BD-4255-B828-B9D609FE4306.jpeg
2A62ECF7-0DB5-4431-82F7-CF3337B0272F.jpeg

As with all my builds the vehicle gets a full exterior detail. Clay bar, light cut cleaner, polish, and paste wax.

Now on to the fun items. This coming Friday I have an appointment with Truck Vault for the sleep platform/drawer build out design. They are located locally in Sedro-Woolley WA. Secure In-Vehicle Storage Solutions | TruckVault

I took today off to get the second and third rows removed. The second row captains chairs are 60 lbs each and the third row is 47 and 48 lbs each. The trim and associated brackets reduced it by another 30 lbs. Total removal weight was 245 lbs.

Congrats on the new GX. Looks like a cool build to follow. I've had some Truck Vault products in the past, they make great stuff, pricey and heavy, but great! I wish I could delete the second row in ours as well for a dedicated full-time sleep platform but I need the second row occasionally and the misses still car pools and needs room for a third occasionally as well. Any plans for a lift or bumpers?

Congrats on the new GX. Looks like a cool build to follow. I've had some Truck Vault products in the past, they make great stuff, pricey and heavy, but great! I wish I could delete the second row in ours as well for a dedicated full-time sleep platform but I need the second row occasionally and the misses still car pools and needs room for a third occasionally as well. Any plans for a lift or bumpers?

Oh yes the full build out. Front and rear bumpers, sliders, roof rack, suspension etc.

Starting the interior build out so Truck Vault can get a jump on it while I install the other items in the mean time.

For sure going with a Front Runner roof rack. I've used them in the past and find then durable and easily adaptable if I don't like what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Nice start! Keep us posted!
And of course... plenty of photos!

I was a bit surprised with the lack of sound deadner. Guessing the seats reduced much of that. I’ll be ordering Dynomate or the generic equivalent.

Driving home I recorded a sound level of 68-69 db with the sun roof shade closed

While waiting 4-6 weeks for just about most parts such as rock sliders, bumpers and suspension I took this time to install sound deadener and insulation foam to replace the noise absorption of the removed seats.

Last Friday driving home I used an iPhone app to observe a consistent 68-69 db noise level @ 70 mph with the sunroof shade closed. After seat removal while driving at highway speeds I could definitely hear the ambient noise level was elevated.

The other reason was to help insulate for cold weather camping and sleeping inside on the platform. With window covers and insulation the interior retains heat well. I applied a similar process on my daughters 4Runner build and have tested it several times the past two winters.

Eventually I will apply deadener to all the doors.

Amazon product ASIN B07QW2RL2Q
Amazon product ASIN B00URUIKAK
Amazon.com: Noico RED 150 mil 36 sqft Сar Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener): Automotive

These are the window covers.

2018 Lexus GX | Windshield Sun Shade - Custom Car Window and Windshield Sunshade | WeatherTech

Located a space for the fuse panel and a breaker to kill power to the fuse panel to mitigate parasitic draw. Yes I will install a breaker at the power source. Fortunately Blue Seas has prints for the parts and dimensions so I was able to cut cardboard to size to test fit.

5D04D48F-C48A-4F2D-A263-5FB23BE37D0F.jpeg
5D04D48F-C48A-4F2D-A263-5FB23BE37D0F.jpeg
36C43F0B-4557-4FD3-8D4B-8CDFEA75D9DC.jpeg
427B106F-BA36-404D-AE62-FCA7A2CCD62F.jpeg

Interested in knowing how much that sound deadener helps. Please post db numbers when you get to test it out!

Interested in knowing how much that sound deadener helps. Please post db numbers when you get to test it out!

I happen to be on the freeway yesterday and was happy to record 68-69 db @ 70 mph. So with the seats removed and the soundener and foam installed I am back to what was previously observed in factory form.

Once the sleep platform/drawer is installed confidence is high that the noise level will lower. Hoping for the mid 60s db @ 70 mph.

I happen to be on the freeway yesterday and was happy to record 68-69 db @ 70 mph. So with the seats removed and the soundener and foam installed I am back to what was previously observed in factory form.

Once the sleep platform/drawer is installed confidence is high that the noise level will lower. Hoping for the mid 60s db @ 70 mph.

Great to hear, thank you.

On my previous vehicle I used a product called B-Quiet Ultimate, which is similar to Dynomat, but has better ratings across most temperature ranges, and is much cheaper. It didn't do much to be honest. I then followed it up with a layer of closed cell foam, and (most importantly) mass loaded vinyl (MVL). That made a huge difference. Unfortunately MLV is stupidly expensive where I live, so I'm happy to see there's a more reasonable alternative (in the products you used).

Great to hear, thank you.

On my previous vehicle I used a product called B-Quiet Ultimate, which is similar to Dynomat, but has better ratings across most temperature ranges, and is much cheaper. It didn't do much to be honest. I then followed it up with a layer of closed cell foam, and (most importantly) mass loaded vinyl (MVL). That made a huge difference. Unfortunately MLV is stupidly expensive where I live, so I'm happy to see there's a more reasonable alternative (in the products you used).

The plan is to get it as quiet as possible, then with the addition tires, roof rack, bumper and removal of the resonator, verify noise increases.

The plan is to get it as quiet as possible, then with the addition tires, roof rack, bumper and removal of the resonator, verify noise increases.
Regarding the resonator, last year when rock crawling a difficult section of trail, I backed my rig into a rock that pushed the tailpipe forward.
This caused it to push the "hoop" that goes over the rear axle to be pinched off, read: no exhaust! Tried to cut the pinched section off but couldn't get a saw in the available space. Finally just unbolted the resonator from the exhaust, just forward of the rear axle.
Long story, short, running the rest of the day and next two days waiting for a new one from the dealer, I did not notice any change in interior volume.
I've logged that adventure in my build thread if you want to see exact what happened.
Page 4, post # 64

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom