200 series 3urfe vs Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2015 Lx570 that is suspected to have dropped a valve. Haven’t torn the heads off yet but the knock was severe. 98k miles, I was shocked to say the least. Looking at options for replacement. Not a lot of low mileage cruiser or LX take outs available. What are the differences in the tundra motors and the various years. It’s enticing to grab a low mileage 19-21 tundra 5.7 because they’re so readily available. I would imagine swapping over accessories and upper/lower oil pan would get it to work. I assume this would go as deep as removing front cover. Has anyone ever successfully put a tundra motor in a LC or LX? And what are the differences in the 3ur from a tundra of 2010-2018 and 2019+? Thanks in advance.

IMG_6998.png

Search the forum here but it’s been done and I’ve definitely read a thread or two about it. There are some differences in the accessories for sure. Someone may be able to chime in with specifics if you’re lucky though.

How about fixing what you have?
If it’s salvageable I’m not opposed to that. Machine work on the 3ur seems crazy expensive. I’d be into a short block for the price of a 10-30K mile take out. Just a cost benefit thing. Building only seems to make sense if going after big power. But with the cost of cams and forged parts NA doesn’t make sense. Be cool to supercharge it, but the truck is so heavy it will never be fast. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me. And I genuinely think this motor letting loose was a fluke and I could very likely throw a junkyard motor in and go another 300k.

I would actually diagnose it first. You can inspect the valves from inside the cylinder using a boroscope via sparkplug hole.

If it’s salvageable I’m not opposed to that. Machine work on the 3ur seems crazy expensive. I’d be into a short block for the price of a 10-30K mile take out. Just a cost benefit thing. Building only seems to make sense if going after big power. But with the cost of cams and forged parts NA doesn’t make sense. Be cool to supercharge it, but the truck is so heavy it will never be fast. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me. And I genuinely think this motor letting loose was a fluke and I could very likely throw a junkyard motor in and go another 300k.
My 2 cents, as I do have a new short block thanks to a dealer mistake, is to swap in a complete low mile used 5.7 (LC,LX,Tundra, etc.). Before the install, have all the known potential leaks, water pump, and so on taken care of. I agree, it does happen, but you should be good to go for many miles.

FYI, my swap was over $15k, dealer paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom