2017 LX570 Saved my life! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright folks, now that all the dust has settled, it's time I shared my December 2022 accident.

TLDR: I hit an abandoned vehicle in the Peachpass lane (no lights) at 80 mph and broke TF out of my arm. Lexus LX570 saved my life.

On December 14, 2022, I was driving to work just before 6 am. For the most part, I have a reverse commute. And if I leave early enough, I don't hit hardly any traffic. Still, I would ride the in the Peachpass lane just in case there was an accident (ha - joke's on me!). Like most days, I had cruise control set at 80 mph. I was near the Suglarloaf Parkway exit when I hit something - I never saw it before impact. It felt like I hit a wall. I had no idea what I hit.

At no point did I lose consciousness. I remember almost every detail. It felt like slow motion. Upon impact, I recall being elevated in my seat, held by my seatbelt, until the LX came to a stop. I remember a BUNCH airbags deploying. I'm sure it was only a second or 2, but from the point of impact until the vehicle came to a stop was, dare I say, comfortable. Except for my arm.

I'm not sure how it happened. I suspect it was a combination of me holding the steering wheel with my left hand, bracing myself upon impact, and the steering wheel airbag pushing my arm out. And my wrist hitting the grab bar on the A-piller. Whatever it was, my arm broke. Both the radius and ulna. I felt this IMMEDIATELY. Felt like my arm was on fire. I was wearing a jacket, so I couldn't see it. But it was like I had 2 elbows.

After coming to a stop, it smelled funny (I guess the airbags?). I knew I had to get the heck out of there. I flopped out of the passenger side, look up, and a man wearing a high vis long-sleeved green shirt was standing there and helped me to the side of the road. I immediately realized I had nothing on me. No wallet, no phone. Everything was in the my LX. So I went back in. Grabbed my phone which was still in the mount (details on my RAM Mount setup can be seen here A-Pillar Phone Mount | IH8MUD Forum). Grabbed my wallet from the center consul. And my backpack with my work laptop from behind the passenger seat (it was completely undamaged!). I limped back to the side of the road and laid down. I then snapped this photo and sent it to my wife.

20221214_112402803_iOS.jpg

I told her I just got in a car accident and pretty sure I broke my arm. Waiting on ambulance. She didn't believe me at first. It probably only took 10 or 15 min, but it felt like an eternity. The State Trooper stayed by me until the ambulance arrived. Up to this point, I still had no idea what I hit. I asked him and he said it was an abandoned vehicle.

I load myself onto the stretcher, and at this point, the adrenaline is starting to wear off. Hands down the most excruciating pain I've felt in my 40 years on this rock. The paramedics cut my shirt and pants and seem surprised that other than my left arm, I'm completely fine. They put my arm in a splint. That was AWFUL. Once the pain subsided slightly, I try to lighten the mood with a joke. I asked the paramedic "who do I look like??" No response, this guy was laser focused on taking care of me (as he should have been!). I said "Lou Ferrigno!" (my shirt was gone and my pants were shredded. I really did look like the Hulk! Attire-wise, anyway) No reaction lol. In hindsight, they probably thought I was drunk.

I get to the hospital and my wife meets me. They took x-rays and confirmed the breaks. Because the ulna pierced my skin, they said there's an increased risk for infection. I was rushed into surgery and was under the knife around noon. Post op experience was terrible. Lots of pain, they couldn't seem to keep at bay. My dad was able to stay with me, which was super helpful and much appreciated. We left the next day. Here's the bodily damage:

20221214_121657591_iOS.jpg

20221214_152253844_iOS.jpg

20221214_152301752_iOS.jpg

20221214_152331544_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
About a week later, my friend took me to the tow yard to help me get all my crap out of my LX. Here are the photos from the tow yard. I asked the folks at the tow yard if there was another vehicle brought in at the same time as my LX. They pointed to this green Tundra:

20221216_210107656_iOS.jpg

They also said the steel rack next to my LX was in the back of the Tundra. I pieced together that the 2x material embedded in my firewall was from that rack. Thank GOD there were no counter tops on that rack that morning.

20221216_202900353_iOS.jpg

20221217_022534420_iOS.jpg

Seeing my LX and the Tundra, I was able to piece together what happened. After hitting the right side of the Tundra (I assume the driver pulled as far to the left as they could), my LX rotated clockwise and my left rear hit the median wall, then spun the other way and came to a stop in the middle of I-85 facing the wrong way. How I didn't flip is beyond me. The tundra did, though.

A week or so later, I went online, found an almost IDENTICAL 2017 LX570 at Nalley Infinity and bought it. I figured it saved my life, so I might as well get another! I'm beyond lucky to be alive. I owe that to
  1. The incredible safety of the LX570.
  2. The fact I hit a pickup truck. I think the bed and frame absorbed a bunch of energy.
  3. I sit almost uncomfortably far back from the steering wheel. There was so much crunch in the cabin, I could barely get my legs out.
Lessons Learned:
  1. I will no longer drive in the HOV lane when it's dark out, unless I can see taillights of the vehicle in front of me.
  2. Lexus adaptive cruise control will NOT detect stationary objects. I believe it has something to do with the approach speed exceeding its ability to detect stationary objects.
  3. If you end up in a serious car accident and you are injured, lawyer up. It's unfortunate, but you have to fight tooth and nail to get what the insurance companies owe you.

20221216_202617563_iOS.jpg

20221216_202630479_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Damn dude. You are lucky to be alive. Was the other driver insured?

And it has been nearly a year. How is the wing healing up? Still full of metal?

Damn dude. You are lucky to be alive. Was the other driver insured?

And it has been nearly a year. How is the wing healing up? Still full of metal?
Other driver was never found. I suspect after his truck died and made the mistake of pulling to the left instead of the right, he quickly realized he needed to get TF out of there, so he froggered his way to the right side. He may have been the guy that helped me and saw the whole thing, then bounced. Police report said the truck was registered to someone in Columbus, GA. But as far as I’m aware, they never found the driver.

Glad to hear you are ok.

How did lawyering up help, if there was no other driver involved?

Or did you need a lawyer, to get your own insurance to cover?

Just trying to clarify.

Other driver was never found. I suspect after his truck died and made the mistake of pulling to the left instead of the right, he quickly realized he needed to get TF out of there, so he froggered his way to the right side. He may have been the guy that helped me and saw the whole thing, then bounced. Police report said the truck was registered to someone in Columbus, GA. But as far as I’m aware, they never found the driver.

And your arm?
It's healing. Still not 100% but I should get there. This was right before I got the staples out.

20230103_205125541_iOS.jpg

20230103_205247135_iOS.jpg

And surprisingly yes, he did have insurance.

Glad to hear you are ok.

How did lawyering up help, if there was no other driver involved?

Or did you need a lawyer, to get your own insurance to cover?

Just trying to clarify.
I had to get a lawyer involved to get the other driver's insurance to pay out, as well as my own bodily injury policy.

I'm glad you're okay. Holy smokes. That's terrifying.

@gotmolo you were able to get out on your own? I assume passenger door? Did you move the driver’s seat up toward the dash when getting your stuff out or was it that close?

A firefighter looking at that carnage would be prepping for a “dash lift” for sure.

Last edited:
@gotmolo you were able to get out on your own? I assume passenger door? Did you move the driver’s seat up toward the dash when getting your stuff out or was it that close?

A firefighter looking at that carnage would be prepping for a “dash lift” for sure.
Yeah I was able to get out the pass door on my own. I did not move my seat. The whole dash and steering column was smushed back. And that yeti tumbler became part of the LX.

Honestly, I think the airbags under the dash saved my get away sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom