2017 LX570 Saved my life! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So glad you "only" had those injuries from an accident of that severity and thanks for sharing the story. Hope you get back to 100% and the replacement LX serves you well!

Damn. You got lucky. My wife was hit head on in her LC 200 earlier this year and walked away with only a concussion. Great vehicles. We found a replacement luckily with only 90 miles on it. They are hard to find.

Below is also the truck that hit her. Was a light rain and the lady hydroplaned and hit my wife at 75 mph.

View attachment 3490178

View attachment 3490179
That’s insane! But another example of how safe these vehicles are! And probably some element of luck. Glad to hear she walked away relatively unscathed. Was she at a stop when she was hit?

I go to auto accidents for work very often. Based on the condition of that tundra, in most cases this would be a life altering incident… IMO your wreck was both great vehicle design and a lot of luck.. glad you made it out with relatively minor injuries.

That’s insane! But another example of how safe these vehicles are! And probably some element of luck. Glad to hear she walked away relatively unscathed. Was she at a stop when she was hit?
No, she had moved over to the side

Last edited:
No, she had moved over to the side trying to avoid the sliding truck coming at her and thinks she got down to 40-45 mph and was all the way in the grass on the shoulder when she got hit. That highway is posted 70 mph but due to the light rain, she said she never got above 60. Here in the Texas hill country, the roads get pretty slick with only a small amount of rain due to the way the roads are built. That tar/petroleum slick makes it no fun.
I can only guess that there is significantly more energy in a head on collision where 2 vehicles are approaching each other vs 1 vehicle hitting a stationary object. My mind is blown right now!

I can only guess that there is significantly more energy in a head on collision where 2 vehicles are approaching each other vs 1 vehicle hitting a stationary object. My mind is blown right now!
I think it helped that they did not hit directly head on. In the pic with the truck, the truck was spinning and hit my wife’s driver side corner with the trucks passenger front corner. The truck then spun counter clockwise and the passenger bed side hit my wife again on her driver side rear quarter panel. Here is the DPS illustration from their report.

Last edited:
Holy Shīt, I’ve been to years and years worth of accidents, you my friend are very lucky to have walked away from that. and to “only“ sustain the broken arm is incredible for sure. Glad youre on the mend and the Lexus protected you.

Wow. It's pretty incredible that you got away with that little injury. Certainly one of the better outcomes!

If you end up in a serious car accident and you are injured, lawyer up. It's unfortunate, but you have to fight tooth and nail to get what the insurance companies owe you.

Absolutely right! I got rear ended (enough to significantly bend the 1/4" steel frame/hitch in the back of my Tacoma) while sitting at a red light in 2018. Some personal injuries involved. Even with a lawyer, it took 4 years to get a (meagre) cheque from the insurance company.

Pretty much, yes. If both vehicles are going 50mph in a head on collision, the impact is the same as one of the vehicles going 100mph and the other one stopped.

Very glad to hear you were able to walk away from your accident and are on the mend.

You're right, and the math definitely maths to support it. Seeing stories about bad accidents in 200s always makes me feel bad for the people involved, but makes me feel good about what I'm driving.

Pretty much, yes. If both vehicles are going 50mph in a head on collision, the impact is the same as one of the vehicles going 100mph and the other one stopped.
As I understand it that’s not strictly true. Kinetic energy increases with the square of velocity. So while those 50mph cars would “cancel out” and basically be like hitting a wall, the same car at 100mph with double the velocity would have four times the kinetic energy hitting whatever it did.

As I understand it that’s not strictly true. Kinetic energy increases with the square of velocity. So while those 50mph cars would “cancel out” and basically be like hitting a wall, the same car at 100mph with double the velocity would have four times the kinetic energy hitting whatever it did.
It has been a long, long, time since I had my college physics courses (or made use of much of it), so my memory is kind of foggy on lots of it... These sites seem to do a decent job of explaining what happens in the 2 scenarios:

There are, of course, a ton of variables involved. For example, crumple zones make a huge difference in the amount of damage the human ends up with and walls don't usually have crumple zones (this is probably why some of the barriers on highways now have something similar to crumple zones instead of just a solid block of concrete).

No matter what the specifics are, these types of collisions are never fun. When someone walks away relatively unharmed, it's a good end result.

It has been a long, long, time since I had my college physics courses (or made use of much of it), so my memory is kind of foggy on lots of it... These sites seem to do a decent job of explaining what happens in the 2 scenarios:

There are, of course, a ton of variables involved. For example, crumple zones make a huge difference in the amount of damage the human ends up with and walls don't usually have crumple zones (this is probably why some of the barriers on highways now have something similar to crumple zones instead of just a solid block of concrete).

No matter what the specifics are, these types of collisions are never fun. When someone walks away relatively unharmed, it's a good end result.

What I found really interesting and not at all intuitive is yes crumple zones matter with regard to the energy felt by the occupant, but when two of the exact same vehicle traveling at the same speed have a dead center head-on collision (however improbable that is) it is no different than either of them hitting a concrete wall.

What appeared to be of the best online articles I could find about where mythbusters was right and wrong is mostly behind a paywall.. I’m curious enough to learn more that I’m considering paying for it.

With regard to crumble zones on barriers.. another thing I get to see up close with relative frequency. And it’s crazier than you probably know. The corrugated metal barrier on wooden posts beside roads is often threaded into a large metal block at the end that pushes the barrier through it on impact, flattening the corrugation which dissipates energy. Or others that have multiple sliding stages, with the first one impacted anchored to a single high grade steel bolt that tears through a metal track with holes that are drilled progressively further apart, dissipating energy progressively less and less as the whole assembly gets closer to full compression and eventual concrete barrier impact.

All while attempting to make these systems cost effective.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures.

What appeared to be of the best online articles I could find about where mythbusters was right and wrong is mostly behind a paywall.. I’m curious enough to learn more that I’m considering paying for it.
Yeah, I ran into the pay wall on some of the articles that looked promising as well.

Amazing guardian angel action, particularly on the absence of marble counter tops on that rack deal. I wonder if the Toyota-on-Toyota action also protected you with some 'we make all of our vehicles particularly crash-compatible with each other,' magic. That would be a very Mr. T thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom