A-Pillar Phone Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's what I've been using for a phone mount in my LX570. Removed the lower A-pillar grab bar mounting bolt and replaced it with the RAM Mount 1" Ball. Personally, this is the optimal location for me. It's nearly at eye level and does not block visibility. I did end up rotating the mounting plate 180 degrees (upside down) to allow easier installation and removal of the phone. Full disclosure - I did not come up with this idea. IIRC I saw a similar setup in a Tundra forum.

RAM Mount w Items_resized.jpg

RAM Mount Items.png

I also purchased an assortment of M6 bolts in varying lengths. I don't recall which one I used, but I do recall not being able to find RAM Mount ball with M6 bolts.

Amazon product ASIN B07PV9536J

I’m worried about an airbag launching that whole assembly into your face.

I have been running mine like that for years between the GX/LX/LC. I love the location out of my immediate FOV and it's easily accessible.

As it turns out, that does not happen. But, I should add: install at your own risk.

That's a heck of a lick, my man. Everybody ok?

I bought the stuff for this install but have been using the ram mount suction thing and x-grip. I’ve stuck with this setup because it is further out of the way down the dash, I don’t need to access this device so I don’t need it up in my face. The only thing I mount here is an old iPhone 8 for the Bluetooth OBD Link gauges. Having a USB for power installed by the speaker has been fabulous, see second picture.
6D6B39A2-49EA-428A-B020-BE702E2B99FF.jpeg
4CC126E6-3378-416B-AFD4-B3640D156B02.jpeg

D7421ACB-E1D2-4A65-95EA-39FE8AEDA2F5.jpeg

That's a heck of a lick, my man. Everybody ok?
Hell yeah it was! I'll start a separate thread on how the LX saved my life. Probably need to wait until the insurance dust settles before I start posting all the fun photos, x-rays, and details.

Here's what I've been using for a phone mount in my LX570. Removed the lower A-pillar grab bar mounting bolt and replaced it with the RAM Mount 1" Ball. Personally, this is the optimal location for me. It's nearly at eye level and does not block visibility. I did end up rotating the mounting plate 180 degrees (upside down) to allow easier installation and removal of the phone. Full disclosure - I did not come up with this idea. IIRC I saw a similar setup in a Tundra forum.

I also purchased an assortment of M6 bolts in varying lengths. I don't recall which one I used, but I do recall not being able to find RAM Mount ball with M6 bolts.

Amazon product ASIN B07PV9536J
Thanks for starting this thread. I decided to do the same thing, so your parts list saved me some time.

For the M6 bolt, I purchased the same set you went with. The shortest (60mm) bolts are plenty long enough.

I ended up adding a few extra items to the setup:

To reduce the play in using the M6 bolt in the mount that was designed to be used with M8 bolts, I ordered some M8 to M6 thread adapters. Adding 2 of them to the bolt was almost a perfect match to the amount of bolt that passes through the RAM mount:

Amazon product ASIN B09MPZ5J88
Once mounted, I found that there wasn't a lot of freedom to adjust the angle of the RAM arm due to how close the ball was to the grab handle, so I added a spacer (someone had done this in another thread, but I can't fine it). I used one 15mm spacer from the following kit and that seems to be enough to allow full adjustment of the arm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M4BFGVT

Since I have extras of all of the parts that are needed other than the RAM mount itself, I'm considering installing one on the passenger side as well. I have no idea what I would use it for, but it seems right to have both sides match :).

I ran one on the passenger side for a while to mount my Garmin inReach Mini.

As it turns out, that does not happen. But, I should add: install at your own risk.

View attachment 3203258
I should also add, my phone was in the mount when I hit an abandoned vehicle going 80 mph on I-85. I had to go back into my LX to retrieve it. The back glass shattered, but otherwise works fine. And I'm still using it today ~1 year later. Love this setup and I'm running it in my 2nd LX.

20230427_154053863_iOS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom