Builds 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YES BRO!!!! Looks amazing. This thread is amazing and you are certainly a skilled fabricator.
Thanks! My friend Pat has been on it with me pretty much full time for about a month. It would not have been at this stage without him... I will be on my own going forward... The system's and interior will be fun!

Installed Windows today...

IMG_6264.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

I got the back door rehung today with the new crank out windows.
I took it for a drive today (with no tail lights and did not get stopped) and it feels great! Not heavy or awkward... no weight issues at all. I think that the steel subfloor and camper shell and generator weigh about 900lbs... I probably took about 300 or so lbs out of the pickup with the cutout, back window, bed, fenders and tailgate... so estimated 600lbs added so far.
The camper project is on hold until after thanksgiving... I am taking my wife to Singapore for a week then we are scuba diving from a live aboard in the Maldives... have been looking forward to this trip.

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

Looks amazing. Is that all new glass, and door, or just refurbished with some extra touches? (Like crank-out window?)

Have fun on your trip, happy wife happy life.
Thanks Mervo! The side crank outs and the pair in the door are new... I rebuilt the door with a foam core, the front windows are original.., I just refinished the aluminum frames in black and reglazed them.

Man, that is an awesome conversion!!!

i did a few walkthru conversions (as well as hardtop convertible conversions) on 2wd pickups back in the mid to late 80s. The cut on the back of the cab was always the hardest to start ;)

i did a few walkthru conversions (as well as hardtop convertible conversions) on 2wd pickups back in the mid to late 80s. The cut on the back of the cab was always the hardest to start ;)
Yes Steve... the walkthrough cut out was particularly scary on this one because of the side curtain airbags and all the airbag apparatus located on either side of the rear window.... I was so happy after it was done....

I worked on it a bit today. Got started on extending the wiring harnesses for the tail lights... I have to solder in and shrink tube the wiring for the tail lights, license plate light, backup camera, brake light that was above the rear window and interior dome light.
Also put a fresh eye on the interior build plans...

Thank you everybody for your kind words of encouragement! I have a million little details that I am working out right now.
I bought 2 of these awesome composite propane tanks. They are 17# capacity and weigh under 5lbs empty! They will mount up high in the back on some custom aluminum brackets that I have designed... with the external propane, the whole rig will be just over 19 feet long... I have kept it small enough to fit in a standard 20' shipping container! This is a big deal for me with my plans...

Also a big thanks to George for making these wooden window spacers for me while I was traveling. I can permanently mount the side awning windows now.

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

Great build Jaygashant ,
May I just throw you just 1 concern ?
That might save you a lot of pain after ...
In case you are thinking to run on African /South American soil with corrugated roads or big bumps, I find that the portion of the chinook standing over the cabin has little clearance.
In case of riding at a certain speed over nasty roads , the back will flex and " could " hit the cabin .
Pls make sure that the clearance is enough .
Just my 2 cents .

Bye Renago

Great build Jaygashant ,
May I just throw you just 1 concern ?
That might save you a lot of pain after ...
In case you are thinking to run on African /South American soil with corrugated roads or big bumps, I find that the portion of the chinook standing over the cabin has little clearance.
In case of riding at a certain speed over nasty roads , the back will flex and " could " hit the cabin .
Pls make sure that the clearance is enough .
Just my 2 cents .

Bye Renago
Thanks for your thoughts Renago, I am grateful for your feedback.... I have put a lot of thought into the overall mounting of the shell and what it will do in rough driving conditions... while it is really stiff, everything can twist or move a bit. Both on the 6 rear mounting points and the cab. Having lived 4 years in central america, I am no stranger to 3rd world roads. We had to drive 17 miles from our home to hit the first pavement! Not only rough but also flood conditions...

I do not have a bunch of update news but have been picking away at a bunch of little crap. Got the wiring harness extended for the tail lights and back up camera. The tacoma taillights were a chore but are going to look great. I am mounting them with a 3/8" black rubber trim border.
Ready to mount the diamond plate utility boxes.... I also have all the hardware to finalize the fresh water fill and the 2 gasoline fills...I have an additional gas tank of 15 gallons to install. I have a pair of white powdercoated stainless steel locking gas fill hatches that will mount one over the other on the driver's side. I also have a matching hatch foe the electric shore power....
I have been working on finalizing my design for my sofa/full size bed and for my pull out chuck wagon kitchen. This stainless steel propane stove and sink combo will be the main componant along with a counter that will swivel out to create a small 90° galley..... the 3 way fridge and tiny microwave will mount over the generator just inside the back door.

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

Got the diamond plate utility boxes installed on the driver's side.... they will get tied together with diamond plate wheel wells. Still have the other side to install.
Also got started on the tail light brackets and trimming out the windows on the inside of the back door with starboard plastic jams...

IMG_6636.JPG

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

Really nice Build! I am working on a similar build but mine will be on a 2003 extra cab truck. I was thinking of putting my taillights from the truck in the fiberglass body as well but was concerned about weakening the structure. Any extra details and insight you can give would be much appreciated. I am very excited to see everything you are doing. Hope you feel like sharing notes but I am very far behind you. I just finished removing and gutting the body last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom