Builds 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished all of the below floor plumbing for water and fuel and got the last few floor panels laminated in.... the main gasoline fill has been mounted near the camper wall where the hole will cut for the 6"x6" powdercoated fuel fill door.... used a marine fill and vent for the auxiliary gas tank.
Now that the final floors are installed the auxiliary gas tank will be installed.
My neighbor made the fine aluminum hose barb 90° for me... lathe turned then welded... nice to have talent and equipment in the hood.

IMG_6960.JPG

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

Began sorting out the interior plan... placed some of the components to get a better feel for the space planning. Framed out to extend the floor into the access cab and create some storage. Both of the seats will still lay back completly....
Tomorrow the aluminum cabinet skeletons will start to come together. Using angle and 3/4" square tube tech screwed together and the spot welded so they won't squeak or move.... keeping the interior cabinets ultra light.

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6969.JPG

Sorry for no posts for a bit... got tied up with some other stuff. Making some mods to the rear bumper. Scrapped the scissor stair for boxing in the center of the back bumper for battery storage and a hinge down lid that will be the step... it will be simple and functional. Also taking advantage of the thick walled 2"x6" construction as an air tank...... the back bumper will double as compressed air storage for on board air...
I am taking off for a few weeks to Guatemala... I will be back to it mid february....

Back from my travels and I have a little change of focus... my friend who is letting me use his shop is vacating one warehouse month end. I want to plastic it off and do my paint job in it so I am prepping for that... took the windows out yesterday as well as the back door and tail lights.
I have a bunch of final fairing to do on the body in prep for paint.
Also was not happy with the back door window position as they were not great for my rear view mirror vis... I am rebuilding it with aluminum diamond plate and a new lock set.
Patrick is working on finishing the back bumper battery box/step modifications. He will also fabricate a piece of radius steel structure to protect the fronts of the forward aluminum utility boxes which would be vulnerable to branches and brush.

IMG_7312.JPG

IMG_7314.JPG

IMG_7316.JPG

I do not have a bunch of update news but have been picking away at a bunch of little crap. Got the wiring harness extended for the tail lights and back up camera. The tacoma taillights were a chore but are going to look great. I am mounting them with a 3/8" black rubber trim border.
Ready to mount the diamond plate utility boxes.... I also have all the hardware to finalize the fresh water fill and the 2 gasoline fills...I have an additional gas tank of 15 gallons to install. I have a pair of white powdercoated stainless steel locking gas fill hatches that will mount one over the other on the driver's side. I also have a matching hatch foe the electric shore power....
I have been working on finalizing my design for my sofa/full size bed and for my pull out chuck wagon kitchen. This stainless steel propane stove and sink combo will be the main componant along with a counter that will swivel out to create a small 90° galley..... the 3 way fridge and tiny microwave will mount over the generator just inside the back door.

View attachment 1583623

View attachment 1583624

this thing is SLICK.....where did you find this sink/stove, by any chance?

I went back through the pictures looking at things. Most of the time, I’ve seen the cab and body joined with an accordion seal. Obviously that wouldn’t work here with it opening both back and up from the cab.

It looks like you welded a frame that fits around the opening of the cab:
img_6073-jpg.1552725

And then attached the body to that frame:
img_6878-jpg.1607944

I can’t quite make out the full attachment, though. Is the frame welded to the cab roof? Or is there a seal between the cab and roof?

I was curious about the link between the truck cab and the camper as well. I love the idea of a Tacoma where one can access the bed/camper from the cab without going outside and back in, even if it is only a large window. Access back and forth in bad weather or in other questionable circumstances would be awesome.

I was curious about the link between the truck cab and the camper as well. I love the idea of a Tacoma where one can access the bed/camper from the cab without going outside and back in, even if it is only a large window. Access back and forth in bad weather or in other questionable circumstances would be awesome.
PA....The fiberglass shell has a rubber seal and a bunch of 3M 5200 caulk between it and the cab... then it is sandwiched with the welded frame with some care age bolts. Very rigid but it can twist a bit if it wants to. The camper is also on some rubber mounts, think motor mounts. Everything can twist or move a bit but it is very ridgis. I have seen people weld and hard mount shells but I think some possible flex is better... it's all in theory because I am just winging it here! First time to build a truck... I have built some boats though and am applying similar methods.

See my reply to PA... I like your Piet Mondrian logo Woytovich!

I drive a Yukon XL... very long single body... and I dream of a Tacoma/Tundra beef SUV from Toyota like that. Super long, one open body... essentially a Toyota XL - I like having almost 9' of interior space with the seats all folded down!

Glad to see you get back at it! I was aching for some updates! Love your workmanship and attention to detail. As you know, I am in the middle of my own build. I have a few questions and concerns.

Are you planning any type of a/c in your unit?

Also, (please don’t take this as criticism) I am concerned about putting too much weight on the tail of the unit. I see you are putting 2 batteries in the rear bumper, generator at the rear and putting the refrigerator and microwave at the back door. I have put tremendous thought into keeping the weight as far forward as possible. Am I overthinking? I plan to put my generator on the front of the truck and build a bumper around it like a winch bumper setup. I am trying to place my batteries in front of the rear wheels. It is becoming quite a chore to get everything placed to keep the weight more centered and low. Should I even worry about a couple hundred pounds? I love the idea to put the batteries in the rear bumper because of easy access. I would love to get some feedback on how it drives with it like that. I also am planning to be able to pull a very small trailer for 4 wheelers occasionally, so I do not want the front end to lift. I just don’t want to sacrifice drivability.

If you want to see my build, I started something like this here: www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-adventure-camper.532910/#post-17094606

Check it out and please give me your feedback! Your advise would be an honor!

You are a smart guy Chinook.... I have all the same thoughts about keeping it light, center of gravity low and as much centered as possible.....
I started by moving the camper mass forward by 10". This really helped with the balance ... mine is only about 9" longer than the stock truck. I have no choice but to have some weight in the rear but most of the weight will be only a few feet behind the axel so no huge impact... still weight is weight and I am trying to be careful.... my water tank and extra fuel are forward of the axel.
I am building in a 5K BTU window shaker for AC.. Small, cheap and not too big or complicated...
Best of luck with your project!

Lots of good progress today! The diamond plate door rebuild is coming along. 1 1/2" of foam in the center... Using a pair of garage door T handle locks for the lock set. Had very little room for the handle so I can keep the windows close together... trying not to ruin not ruin my visibility from the rear view mirror...
Faired the grooved details on the fiberglass wheel radius... there will be a black rubber seadek detail between the painted fiberglass shell and anodized aluminum diamond plate basement.
Got the step back bumper welded in. Tomorrow the cables will get installed making it a functioning step... using a magnetic catch and a finger hole got drilled into it..... it will end up getting Rhinocoated to match the front bumper... also got the radiused steel guards/trial fabricated. They mount in front of the forward aluminum utility boxes.... they will take the impact instead of the boxes from branches etc...

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7326.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG

Got the box glassed in that will be the mount for the little window AC. The unit is being mounted completely inside.... the hot air exhaust will vent through a louver and a duct fan will feed the intake side with fresh air from outside through a duct. The intake and exhaust air will be partitioned so they can not mix... found out that celotex insulating sheeting can be fiberglassed! Who knew? Cheap, lightweight and good acoustic and insulating properties... used $160 a sheet divinicel for my floors..
Also a shot of the steel brush guard that will protect the front edge of the aluminum utility boxes.... fabricated of 1/4" steel plate and a slice of 4" diameter pipe. It will be wekded into the 1"x3" steel cab over frame...The boxes and fiberglass shell stick out a few inches from the cab and I want to have some structure to protect them...

IMG_7338.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

Very nice build but.......
I honestly don't understand the need for a AC in a small camper !
Staying in the nature where there is always plenty of green I don't feel the need .
Just my personal opinion .

Bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom