2013 LX 570 Rock Warrior Install (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking at doing the reprogramming and local dealership quoted $70 to do it. If the swap is cheaper I'll do that.

Unfortunately, we're still waiting some of our household goods shipment which has all of my tools, jack, jack stands, etc. We're hoping it gets here this week. Either way though, the task at hand will get done this week. I'll post some after pics.

Thanks everyone for the awesome pictures and responses! I'm definitely excited to get these on!

Hey team!

Ok, so drama this weekend...

After a week of 13 hour days I was excited to take the rims to get swapped out. Figured it should be easy to have a tire shop swap the sensors and remount. I'd talked to a tire shop at the beginning of the week to knock this task out. We don't have many 200s in this area, let alone 100s. So I was thankful when I talked to a guy who said he could do what I was asking. So, we load up the wheels in the cars at first light and head out. Well the guy who I had talked to was off and I was now talking to another person who just couldn't understand what I needed. They couldn't get the concept down right that they were going to break down 8 tires, remove/swap 8 TPMS, and then put on the new RWs. Well, I had to draw it on paper, literally, and then all of sudden the price went Everest. They wanted $20 per tire breakdown/build up (8X$20) then another $50 just to ATTEMPT to make sure the wheels linked back up to the truck. The team at the tire shop went so far as to say they could not guarantee it, so if it didn't work I'd have to figure it out. I knew it would work just fine, but I dislike when people are uncertain of their work.

So, I made the choice to pack up everything, as we'd pulled out the wheels out of the vehicles. Thankfully, IHOP was open so we had breakfast. That helped with the mood I was having. Then, I remembered that Toyota said they'd do the programming for $70. So, we drove over there and asked if they had time. Well, once there and talking to the service rep she raised the price. So, she started quoting me $140, $100 for the programming and $40 to put the wheels on. We met in the middle at $100 after I explained that I had already been quoted $70. We were pretty much at the point of sheer irritation.

Fast forward a few hours and I get a call: "Sir, where are the lug nuts?" Holy cow, I need special lug nuts? So, my irritation melted away as I realized I didn't do my homework correctly at all. So, now I have the correct hardware on order. So, I hope that in another week this job will complete.

I need a vacation!

993205-f14627bf454472e1635d01b4da2ee829.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. What a pain... I can relate as I'm still chasing down my local shop that totally botched my suspension install...

Do you have a Discount Tire shop near you?
They swapped my existing sensors to Rock Warriors and only charged as extra $6 each...which was to cover the "re-pack kit" which has new seals for each sensor. There is absolutely no reason you should have to reprogram them...as the vehicle doesn't care what rims they're on...just that the sensor is within range.

Wow. What a pain... I can relate as I'm still chasing down my local shop that totally botched my suspension install...

Do you have a Discount Tire shop near you?
They swapped my existing sensors to Rock Warriors and only charged as extra $6 each...which was to cover the "re-pack kit" which has new seals for each sensor. There is absolutely no reason you should have to reprogram them...as the vehicle doesn't care what rims they're on...just that the sensor is within range.

I've been following your hardship. I was glad to see that the shop was going to step in and do the right thing. That always feels good to know that customer relationships still matter with some places.

No Discount Tire around here. Honestly, I'm fortunate that everything happened the way it did. I was imagining if they had broken down all the wheels and swapped sensors at the first place. Not only would I be out the money for them to do all that work, but I'd still not have an active tire pressure monitoring system. Ha!

I'm going to just eat the bullet on this one and put the wheels on myself once I get the hardware. That way I can make sure everything is torqued correctly. After that I'll take it in to get programmed, for the $70 I'm hoping.

Fast forward a few hours and I get a call: "Sir, where are the lug nuts?" Holy cow, I need special lug nuts? So, my irritation melted away as I realized I didn't do my homework correctly at all. So, now I have the correct hardware on order. So, I hope that in another week this job will complete.

I need a vacation!

It never occurred to me to mention the lug nuts :bang:

So ... now you know, but just to cover all the bases ...

Here's what the splined lug nuts look like for the RW wheels:

LC200TRDWheels3_18MAR13_zps3b18bc99.jpg

And what they look like mounted:

LC200TRDWheels2_18MAR13_zpsc0188f5f.jpg

You will also need a splined wrench adapter to fit on the nuts and to fit into the tight space on the wheels.

I opted for the locking lug nuts (see one in the mounted wheel pic) which are made by McGuard, sold by Toyota, and also require a specific "key" to mount/unmount them.

HTH

No worries! It never occurred to me to ask. I figured that I'd just use the lugs off my stock wheels, no biggie right?

I ordered the Toyota TRD install kit that includes the lugs, lucking lugs, spline, and key adapter. I looked at McGard for a direct purchase but the price was going to be roughly the same for what I got with the install kit. I did see there were off brand acorn lugs I could get, but I just didn't know about the quality. After some thought, I'd rather pay to have the piece of mind than worry about it.

BTW - Great advise from the board was to plastidip the spline and adapter. This would save from accidental dinging or scratching the rim during lug install/removal. I figure I've got time until the order gets here so I might as well pick up a can to play with.

That's a great idea :idea:

Always looking for a good excuse to spray some PlastiDip o_O

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I recently purchased a 2008 LX 570 and wanted to put these wheels on. Can these be ordered from any Toyota dealer?

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I recently purchased a 2008 LX 570 and wanted to put these wheels on. Can these be ordered from any Toyota dealer?
I've heard they halted sales to only tundra rock warrior owners. I'm sure you can get around that with digging.

I tried to get some, but now Toyota only sells them as replacement and they need a VIN number of a truck that came with them.
So I got something else.

The tech at the dealership was surprised to see the wheels. He said that they are very difficult to get. I'm sure there will be less and less at the dealerships as their stock runs dry due to manufacturing newer TRD wheels.

I decided to go with something similar:

18" - KMC Wheels XD128 Matte Grey 18x9
-LT285/65r18 Toyo open country AT II (32.6"h 11.5"w)

Front mud flaps had to be removed because of rubbing. After removal things seem to be fine. Not sure why they were rubbing as the tire dimensions are almost exactly the same as the TRDs with the LT285/70r17 BFG KO2 are (32.7"h 11.5"w). A little noisier than the street tires that were on there but that's pretty much to be expected. Looks and trail performance are thousand times improved!

dsc_0323-optimized.jpg

Remember that I'm running about 50-60% of the tread. That does help a little when it comes to the rubbing aspect. Though, after running in all lo-hi settings I don't believe it would be too much rubbing with new tires.

Your combo looks great BTW. Very clean!

Front mud flaps had to be removed because of rubbing. After removal things seem to be fine. Not sure why they were rubbing as the tire dimensions are almost exactly the same as the TRDs with the LT285/70r17 BFG KO2 are (32.7"h 11.5"w). A little noisier than the street tires that were on there but that's pretty much to be expected. Looks and trail performance are thousand times improved!

dsc_0323-optimized.jpg
Damn that looks great!!! They were rubbing because you have a 9 inch wheel with +25 offset(guessing). This wheel combo pulls the tire out well over an inch over what the TRD's would be.

dsc_0323-optimized.jpg

Looks good! Do you have a view down the side or top of the wheel well? I'd like to see how much a 9in wheel with a 25 offset sticks out. XD makes a 17x9 +18 but I think that would poke/rub too much with a 285/75. Maybe some light strategic hammering and fender work would make them fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom