2008 Lx570 AHC delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My 1st post here. I just bought a 2008 Lx570 with 173k miles. As soon as I got it I took it to the dealership for inspection. They tell.me all 4 struts are leakin..the 2 front are "level2" theb2 rear are "level3". I've been doing a ton of research on AHC and it's pros/cons.

I am considering deleting it per the threads here on these forums. From my understanding, I can delete it, but leave the parts in place UNLESS thebold parts wpuld interfere with the placement of any new suspension parts. So it sounds like I just have to choose what goes on carefully.

I'm in Las Vegas, and surprisingly it seems alitnofbthe big shops here dont have much experience with working around ahc, even though I found out @turbo8 lives here and pioneered alot of the options.
Anyway, what confuses me is I have options to throw on LC200 suspension OR Tundra parts..can anyone tell me what the differences are and what would be the pros and cons of each? any help appreciated. ty!

Tundra conversion gets you longer suspension arms for a little more front suspension travel. It's a nice upgrade for a serious off roader, but totally not necessary for most of us. The tundra conversion is also an added expense compared to just deleting AHC and going with 200 parts because you'll have to replace the front suspension arms. It also creates some complications as your track width will be 3" wider in the front, which will limit aftermarket wheel choices and require spacers in the rear not to look goofy.

You can also drain your AHC system (as much as possible) disconnect the AHC "shocks" and install conventional springs and shocks, but leave the rest of the AHC guts in place (lines, pump, accumulators, reservoir, etc). This makes your AHC delete reversable if you ever decide you'd like to return it to stock. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do, at least until I've convinced myself I haven't made a terrible mistake :eek:

Your rig has 170,000 miles. If you had a spring and shock suspension you'd need new shocks too. Just install the shock bodies for AHC and continue on.

Your rig has 170,000 miles. If you had a spring and shock suspension you'd need new shocks too. Just install the shock bodies for AHC and continue on.

Tundra conversion gets you longer suspension arms for a little more front suspension travel. It's a nice upgrade for a serious off roader, but totally not necessary for most of us. The tundra conversion is also an added expense compared to just deleting AHC and going with 200 parts because you'll have to replace the front suspension arms. It also creates some complications as your track width will be 3" wider in the front, which will limit aftermarket wheel choices and require spacers in the rear not to look goofy.

You can also drain your AHC system (as much as possible) disconnect the AHC "shocks" and install conventional springs and shocks, but leave the rest of the AHC guts in place (lines, pump, accumulators, reservoir, etc). This makes your AHC delete reversable if you ever decide you'd like to return it to stock. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do, at least until I've convinced myself I haven't made a terrible mistake :eek:
perfect reply. thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't be interested in the Tundra conversion if it's going to be that much of a pain. I'm totally fine with 200 options..ty

Please attach pictures of these shock leaks. Dealers often overreact to minor weeping as a way to drum up profits.

@grinchy and @tbisaacs both make good points. It's normal for any suspension to require some maintenance at this age and the AHC stuff is no different and no less reliable once you're up on your maintenance. As a desert dweller, you don't have to worry about AHC's primary enemy--rust.

But to each his own. I'm looking at doing AHC delete because conventional suspension is a better fit to my preferences and use case.

Definitely don't delete the system, if it's just leaky shocks. I'm not sure of what the dealership lingo means, but the AHC shocks are known to weep small amounts of fluid over time. If it's not dripping on the floor, they are probably ok for a while.

I deleted my AHC system for a few reasons, which I believe I discussed already, but basically I go to some remote locations and do silly things.

I saw your email and will respond soon.

I'll echo the others in the repair camp. Doesn't sound like a catastrophic issue and is just wear.

A typical failure mode of the system is worn or ruptured accumulators that no longer have enough gas pressure to accommodate compression. This spikes the hydraulic pressures and if left long enough, can cause the shock pistons to weep.

Parts are relatively cheep and needs a new set of accumulators, shocks, and fluid. Could probably source this for less than the cost of a traditional suspension to get AHC working 100% again. Ebay is a common source for OEM accumulators direct from Japan. AHC shocks can be had for relatively cheap from any dealership.

Front shocks are $155 each from souq, or about $200 domestic. Rears are $60 and about $65 respectively.

Just for context.

I have a 2013 lx with 152k. My shocks are wet and small leak. So I have purchased parts and will eventually replace the shocks. I have obtained estimates for labor. For replacement of shock and mounts as well ahc flush. As stated parts are inexpensive.

Fronts are 4 hours.
Rears are 3 hours.

Definitely look into keeping the AHC system....

The best thing I've done to my LX is cut out that super lame suspension. No reason not to do it unless you just love worthless tech.

So odd.....AHC fanatics all tell me that AHC lasts 300k miles easily without any replacement of anything......but now some of those same folks say that AHC parts wear out just like traditional suspension....
1712228412155.jpeg

1712228583672.jpeg

Let's go with both have there merits and pitfalls, and it's personal preference. I am on keep the ahc camp, the ability to raise and lower the suspension is an amazing feature in my opinion. I am 5'4 so when getting groceries etc out of the back it's nice to lower the truck to make getting stuff easier.

There is nothing new to see here. The exact same thing happened on the 100 too when repairs started to be needed, or when some folks wanted a change. Sometimes the cost outweighs the benefits.
Springs - not perfect
Ahc - not perfect

There are some advantages to both. Neither is the end all.

It’s your truck, do what you want to it. And if someone else makes a choice on their truck, so what. That isn’t your truck.

Agreed. Let people do what makes em happy even if it doesn't make sense. I got into an LX a couple years ago thinking I'd want to swap out the AHC right away but actually fell in love with it. It's a fantastic system. Unfortunately for me failing globes and a lot of rusty lines and fittings didn't seem like the juice would be worth the squeeze to repair. And I'm stubborn and like to sometimes go against the grain so figured why the heck not haha. I've recently swapped it out but left all AHC components in place for now in case I get cold feet. But so far no ragerts. I'll be the first to admit that in some respects I've made the truck worse. But I will also stand on my hill that I've improved areas as well. Like everything it's all pros and cons.

Last edited:
Let me throw my fuel to the fire, erm, I mean my .02c as an AHC owner and abuser.

If it’s REALLY seeping, then it’s most likely due to contamination of fluid and the seals are worn. You can easily replace shocks yes but I bet the system was neglected. (The real cause of like 90% of AHC issues, that plus dealers). Double check the history and inspect fluid. I would have a hard time trusting an AHC system to give me 5-10 years that I personally didn’t maintain but any hydraulic system needs maintenance like this specially seals, so outside of neglect there’s no cause to think something is wrong.

If indeed my hunch is correct though, rip it the **** out. That is, if you are ever planning on building this. The real reason I’m saying to get rid of it if you want anything other than stock is because as you have seen, no one CAN help you. Notice I didn’t say will. Literally nobody in the world can help you. It’s way too complicated to diagnose and work on and nobody does it. Maybe you’ll find someone in Dubai, maybe. Cruiser heads with decades of experience don’t even like the LX so don’t bother there either. If you want to just keep truck stock and don’t mind the cost of shocks go ahead and cross fingers I’m sure it’ll most likely be fine. But you should do globes too. See you're already in budget lift territory… and if a dealer $$$ installs you could get a fancy new suspension that doesn’t run on magic pixie tears.

Personally I think a 3” lifted LX is awesome, and that’s something AHC will never do.

So depends on your plans really, and budget.

Personally I think a 3” lifted LX is awesome, and that’s something AHC will never do.

Because running 5" suspension lift is more better :cool:

2" AHC sensor lift + 3" on demand > 3"

Some of the largest rigs here are on AHC. Because running 3" suspension lift statically will have suspension geometry at crap angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom